DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Trevor Asquerthian

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:12 am

EDIT PAGE - add OVERWRITE/TRIM MODE:

Resolve appears to only work in RIPPLE mode when trimming, thus 'toggle trim type' goes between RIPPLE IN, RIPPLE OUT and ROLL.

Both Avid & PPro have 5 modes - the three above and OVERWRITE (or TRIM) IN and OUT.

PPro toggles between the 5 modes with 'toggle trim type' and has 5 keyboards shortcuts ('select nearest edit' to... )

Avid has the smart tool/keyboard shortcuts to go between the modes and then the 'toggle trim' goes between in/out/both in that mode.

They both colour RIPPLE as yellow and OVERWRITE as red

Trevor Asquerthian

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am

EDIT PAGE - BETTER IMPLEMENTATION OF SLIP/SLIDE MODE

Here's how the competition deal with it:

AVID:

SLIP:
Deselect all clips (if any selected)
Clips under playhead, that have record tracks selected, are slipped with keyboard trims for 'nudge'

This is very quick for moving around the timeline and getting stuff in sync / hitting music cues etc

SLIDE: (same as Resolve)
Select clips
Those clips are slid with keyboard trims for 'nudge'

PPRO

SLIP:
Select clips
Those clips are slipped with keyboard shortcuts 'slip clip selection'

SLIDE: (same as Resolve)
Select clips
Those clips are slid with keyboard shortcuts 'slide clip selection' and 'nudge clip selection'

I prefer Avid but either way would be an improvement.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS - KEYBOARD MAPPING:

This is the #1 place I am going as I start editing with Resolve - both for searching for shortcuts and for mapping. Please could we have a direct shortcut to Preferences | User | Keyboard Mapping.

(There's probably call for the other bits of Prefs and Project Settings to be directly mappable too).

Andrii Dovhyi

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Please add reels track and multiple reel In/Out in Timeline which represents Reels in DCP/IMF delivery.
Please add the ability import CPL from DCP/IMF as Timeline, of course with reels.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 3:17 am

Christian Lessner wrote:I would like to have a "Bypass all grades while tracking" toggle.

15 already has Bypass All Grades. It seems silly for BMD to add a separate version just for tracking.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andreas Schwarz

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 am

It would be great, to have a pre calculation of the rendered file size on the deliver page!
Resolve is so unconvenient, if you have to render for a given or limited file size (proxies, previews, spezific media, online content)...I hope, that will be implemented soon, because it is such a basic feature....

Gabriele Gelfo

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Da Vinci Server for Synology OS
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

John Paines

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:EDIT PAGE - add OVERWRITE/TRIM MODE:

Resolve appears to only work in RIPPLE mode when trimming, thus 'toggle trim type' goes between RIPPLE IN, RIPPLE OUT and ROLL.

Both Avid & PPro have 5 modes - the three above and OVERWRITE (or TRIM) IN and OUT.

PPro toggles between the 5 modes with 'toggle trim type' and has 5 keyboards shortcuts ('select nearest edit' to... )

Avid has the smart tool/keyboard shortcuts to go between the modes and then the 'toggle trim' goes between in/out/both in that mode.

You lost me. Are you saying you want elimination of the distinction between "A" standard mode (for overwrite trims) and "T" Trim mode (for rippled trims), in favor of one mode?

Overall, it may be more efficient to have a unified trim mode, with distinct shortcuts and modified mouse drags to allow either overwrite or ripple trims without changing modes, but Resolve does also offer trim/ripple to playhead commands, which work regardless of the current mode setting.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 7:46 am

John Paines wrote:
Trevor Asquerthian wrote:EDIT PAGE - add OVERWRITE/TRIM MODE:

You lost me. Are you saying you want elimination of the distinction between "A" standard mode (for overwrite trims) and "T" Trim mode (for rippled trims), in favor of one mode?

Overall, it may be more efficient to have a unified trim mode, with distinct shortcuts and modified mouse drags to allow either overwrite or ripple trims without changing modes, but Resolve does also offer trim/ripple to playhead commands, which work regardless of the current mode setting.

I hadn't realised that trim was implemented this way. 'A' mode is Overwrite and 'T' mode is ripple.

This is kind-of OK but there should be a better indication with the trim side icons (really they should be red in 'A' mode and yellow in 'T' mode to follow industry norm), but I'd be happier with a unified trim mode.

There's already a unified slip/slide mode - in that the position of the cursor in trim mode over a selection chooses slipping or sliding.

Choosing a modifier to alter the trim mode (overwrite/ripple) is another possible improvement.

I'd probably also push for dynamic trim to be subsumed into trim mode, but I just haven't done enough editing on Resolve yet to know what problems that might bring.

Boris Dessimond

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am

The ability to sidechain on fairlight.
It's simple audio routing technique that let us for example, to auto-duck a music background track when someone is talking.
Sounds more natural to automate it with a sidechained compressor than to do it by hand. :)
Last edited by Boris Dessimond on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Li Chenghan

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 11:53 am

We hope that the editing page can control the whole track like the volume adjustment line of the entire audio track of the Vegas pro. The effects panel and the transition effects of the effects panel can have the same preview effect as the LUT panel. Thank you
12-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)
Asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming
GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G
G.SKILL DDR4-3200 CL16 32G
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1909
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K/BRAW 3:1 5:1

Yov Moor

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 am

A better shape Softness with Inside / Outside softness, until now If you have value around 0.15 on Inside and Outside the edge of the shape are not clean, the antialiasing are not smooth that look Jaggy.

Li Chenghan

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am

It is hoped that the interface of the Fusion page can be changed back to the panel like the previous Fusion 9, and now the panel design takes up too much space, especially the middle part of the timeline design and the simple button part. Thank you

Li Chenghan

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm

1. I hope to strengthen the support for Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese characters. Many Chinese characters on the target line cannot be displayed properly.    We also hope to strengthen our support for the Chinese language interface, such as Fusion's Chinese interface support.

2. It is hoped that the editing page can, like vegas pro, adjust the volume adjustment line of the entire track in the part of the audio track.    Effect and Transition Panels can support LUT panels like color pages, with effects and transition previews.

3.Whether the FUSION page can be changed back to the previous FUSION 9 interface, the timeline and tool buttons in the middle of the interface really take up space, the previous interface is really easy to use

Thanks to the hard-working BMD staff, I really love to use DAVINCI RESOLVE now, I believe it will have better performance in the future

Mike1938

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Davinci Resolve 15 Beta recently became available. Why are there posts about Davinci 16 feature requests? Allow Black Magic time to correct any problems with Resolve 15. The forum indicates there are problems with version 15.

Willian Aleman

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Optional to the user, I wish we would be able to move and/or backup the entire project in one action.
Unifying the backup process of the entire project including media, project files, stills and grades in one operation. Using Media Management, Backup Project, Database, Stills and Grades separately only prompts to increase human errors and makes the task difficult.
The same would be helpful for restoring and importing a project: optional should be an operation for the entire project as an entity.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 am

Willian Aleman wrote:Optional to the user, I wish we would be able to move and/or backup the entire project in one action.
Unifying the backup process of the entire project including media, project files, stills and grades in one operation. Using Media Management, Backup Project, Database, Stills and Grades separately only prompts to increase human errors and makes the task difficult.
The same would be helpful for restoring and importing a project: optional should be an operation for the entire project as an entity.

Archive.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Hector Berrebi

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:21 am

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS - KEYBOARD MAPPING:

This is the #1 place I am going as I start editing with Resolve - both for searching for shortcuts and for mapping. Please could we have a direct shortcut to Preferences | User | Keyboard Mapping.

(There's probably call for the other bits of Prefs and Project Settings to be directly mappable too).

You Got it ;)

Just hit Cmnd/Ctrl + "," (comma)
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Trevor Asquerthian wrote:KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS - KEYBOARD MAPPING:

You Got it ;)

Just hit Cmnd/Ctrl + "," (comma)

Only works if keyboard mapping was last preference I was changing.

Peter Benson

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 7:48 am

Jim Simon wrote:Can we get the same Edit/Fairlight page Volume slider added to the other pages. It'd come in real handy.
+100
As well, it'd be awfully nice to have a volume slider specifically for the source viewer in the EDIT page.

Anybody ever pull into the Source viewer, a video clip, say, from an alternate camera only to be sonically jolted by an alarmingly loud, simultaneous playback of 6 or more high-decibel audio tracks?

I usually have to lunge for the globally functioning Control Room volume slider's "Dim" switch (just below the Timeline Viewer), but would rather be able to easily alter Source viewer audio levels independently.

(Is this a reasonable request, gang?)

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Peter Benson

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Christian Lessner wrote:I would like to have a "Bypass all grades while tracking" toggle.

15 already has Bypass All Grades. It seems silly for BMD to add a separate version just for tracking.
I think he meant a proposed "Dynamically Bypass All Grades" option that engages temporarily, then automatically disengages after the tracking/stabilization [and/or other yet unspecified resource-intensive] process is completed. :-)

DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Peter Benson

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 am

Mike1938 wrote:Davinci Resolve 15 Beta recently became available. Why are there posts about Davinci 16 feature requests? Allow Black Magic time to correct any problems with Resolve 15. The forum indicates there are problems with version 15.
Your sentiments are understandable, yet there is some benefit in jotting our ideas down (especially here) while they're front-of-our-minds rather than waiting for a later date, risking a fair number of brilliant idea(s) slipping into the ether. Besides, they're only requests for the most part -- petulant demands for immediate action -- not so much.

Giles Sherwood

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Adding subtitle support in 15 is actually pretty major for my office! But before we can really start using it, we need more granular control over formatting:

- Set a base style/formatting for all subtitles, then:
- Modify the formatting for individual subtitles (making a line italic to represent off-screen speech or VO)
- Modify the formatting for individual words/characters within a subtitle (making foreign language words that must remain untranslated italic)

Currently it seems you can set up formatting for individual subtitles, but instead of being able to build off of your base format, you have to style it from scratch.

Also big: it would be fantastic if HTML formatting tags in the SRT would be supported for formatting instead of being read as subtitle content.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Mike1938 wrote:Davinci Resolve 15 Beta recently became available. Why are there posts about Davinci 16 feature requests? Allow Black Magic time to correct any problems with Resolve 15. The forum indicates there are problems with version 15.

This is for features that don't exist yet. Or for suggesting for future one.

We did it successfully for v 12/14 and BM implemented lots of requests in subsequent builds.

If out is a bug, it goes in the v15 beta thread.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Peter Benson wrote:
Anybody ever pull into the Source viewer, a video clip, say, from an alternate camera only to be sonically jolted by an alarmingly loud, simultaneous playback of 6 or more high-decibel audio tracks?

YES - DolbyE x 8 tracks is a killer (well x 1 track is pretty rough as it is constantly at -0.1 dBFS)

also, is there a way of soloing / viewing levels on source side, before putting in timeline? There isn't a 'clip mixer' like in PP that I can see

Peter Benson

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 am

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:
Peter Benson wrote:

YES - DolbyE x 8 tracks is a killer (well x 1 track is pretty rough as it is constantly at -0.1 dBFS)

also, is there a way of soloing / viewing levels on source side, before putting in timeline? There isn't a 'clip mixer' like in PP that I can see
Ni-i-ice idea, Trevor. That would be another plus, in managing audio levels for source clips -- _before_ bringing them into the timeline.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 3:12 am

Peter Benson wrote:I think he meant a proposed "Dynamically Bypass All Grades" option that engages temporarily, then automatically disengages after the tracking/stabilization [and/or other yet unspecified resource-intensive] process is completed. :-)

I got that. I'm saying I'd much prefer he just push the button twice and BMD devote their limited resources to other, more useful features.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Junior Ikenwa

FAIRLIGHT to full blown DAW

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am

I suggest that Fairlight be turned into full BLOWN DAW, Compatible with VST Midi synthesizers, that would be great. detachable liquid interface. I rest my case. Davince Resolve is NUKE wow!!
Keep the good work going, keep making life easy for low budget Producers, If not BM, monthly subscriptions from the greedy ones could have paralyse many talents.

Thank you BM Team

Junior Ikenwa

Charles Lyons

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 am

Peter Benson wrote:
Your sentiments are understandable, yet there is some benefit in jotting our ideas down (especially here) while they're front-of-our-minds rather than waiting for a later date, risking a fair number of brilliant idea(s) slipping into the ether. Besides, they're only requests for the most part -- petulant demands for immediate action -- not so much.

Yes. The point of a beta is not to add more features (by definition a beta is "feature complete") but to verify that the existing features work as intended. It sounds like Resolve 15 adds a LOT of new features and it's great that Blackmagic has been so responsive, but it's not a bad idea to track feature requests that have yet to make it in or have just occurred to people.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Peter Benson

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Peter Benson wrote:I think he meant a proposed "Dynamically Bypass All Grades" option that engages temporarily, then automatically disengages after the tracking/stabilization [and/or other yet unspecified resource-intensive] process is completed. :-)

I got that. I'm saying I'd much prefer he just push the button twice and BMD devote their limited resources to other, more useful features.
Actually one could imagine some workflow requirements (with heavy doses of stabilization operations, for example) that could really benefit from the implementation of that quite useful "Dynamically Suppress All Grades" idea.

I'll cast a vote for it here. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 pm

We do video art / music videos, sometimes. This may constitute to a large number of overlay tracks. For the most part, Resolve is super in this line of work.

What I would like, in the Color tab, is a vertically re-sizable timeline, that would hold its position settings throughout the session, and would better find the clips selected in the Edit tab, maintaining playhead sync.

Things as they are:

- the Color tab timeline only allows for 6 tracks at a time and is locked to a fixed height.
- scrolling the track listing is dicey. The mouse wheel is set scale the timeline and the sidebar has to be moved with click-drag.
- the Color tab timeline settings are reset when leaving the tab.
- select a clip in Edit. Switch to Color. The clip selection may now be different; what's usually on is an
overarching clip on an above video track. Playhead loses sync because of this and is at the beginning of the said clip.

Clip selection and playhead sync function well when moving from Color to Edit. If it could be improved the other way around, that'd be great.

===

On Linux:

- implementation of ffmpeg libs (for in/out codecs)
- support for MESA OpenGL (for improved compatibility / performance)
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Willian Aleman

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Willian Aleman wrote:Optional to the user, I wish we would be able to move and/or backup the entire project in one action.

Archive.

Thanks, Peter
The archive does not include the Database. It's my understanding that in order to include the Database, the user needs to backup it as a separate operation.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Dermot Shane

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 4:58 pm

don't get the need for the database to be included in a project archive, it already has the source media, the entire project and options for stills, optimised media and caches... what more could a database archive give you that is needed?

and the considerable advantage of mitgateing the risk of a corrupt database makeing the entire archive useless... it's far the most fragile part of the workflow, detaching from the database can be a VERY good thing on a bad day

Jason Tackaberry

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Refloating these older ideas around optimized media:
  • Asynchronous (background) generation of optimized media. Right now the whole UI is blocked while optimized media is generating. Bonus points for an optimized media queue that can be managed.
  • Add a column to the project manager's list view to show how much storage is used by optimized media, with the ability to remove optimized media for selected projects from the project manager.
  • Once a project is loaded, ability to view which clips have optimized media, storage consumed by each, and ability to remove optimized media only for selected items.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 5:15 pm

+1
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Seth Goldin

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Jason Tackaberry wrote:Refloating these older ideas around optimized media:
  • Asynchronous (background) generation of optimized media. Right now the whole UI is blocked while optimized media is generating. Bonus points for an optimized media queue that can be managed.
  • Add a column to the project manager's list view to show how much storage is used by optimized media, with the ability to remove optimized media for selected projects from the project manager.
  • Once a project is loaded, ability to view which clips have optimized media, storage consumed by each, and ability to remove optimized media only for selected items.

+1

It’s something FCPX gets right, and I do wish Resolve had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Peter Benson

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 am

IMPROVED FEATURE REQUEST ENTRY, re: In "hidden features" discovered in Resolve 14 3 COLOR page:
• Timeline "Mark In" and Timeline "Mark Out" setup is ghosted out in the MARK menu of this page but the feature does work via keyboard shortcuts I and O, respectively...

• Therefore, setting up a "user-definable" Timeline In to Out LOOP range, utilizing the hidden Mark In/Out feature is also doable...

• As well, although PLAYBACK menu Play Around To > Play In to Out mode is ghosted out in the COLOR page, this feature is also actionable, even in the case of a user-defined (custom) Timeline In to Out range, referenced in the first bullet-point just above.

I propose new Resolve versions should give those hidden features conspicuous access, with the GUI improved thusly:

1) In the COLOR page, provide a Zoom in and out capability to the Timeline Viewer's Scrub Bar, as we have in the EDIT page Source Viewer's Scrub bar.

2) In the COLOR page, provide a visual "In to Out Timeline Range indicator on the Timeline Viewer's Scrub Bar (such as we already have in the COLOR page Timeline Display, just below, in Resolve 14.3 but ☡ Note: Zooming in on this Timeline Display may be required, to make the range indicator visible

3) "Unghost" any pertinent menu items relative to making the above feature improvements (e.g., in Resolve 14.3, the entire top 50% of the MARK menu is utterly ghosted out, although we can indeed create a Timeline In and Out range (this feature is not apparent anywhere in the COLOR page GUI, rendering it a "hidden feature" -- so then, please...

3a) Unghost "Mark In" I -- and also unghost "Mark Out" O within the COLOR page MARK menu.

3b) Unghost "Play In To Out" Alt+/ in the COLOR page PLAYBACK menu, because it currently is indeed a working, though "hidden feature"

4) Force the Auto Clip Selector to default to the top-most, enabled video clip in the COLOR page, just as we already have in the EDIT page.

Stop.

~~~

Read on if intersted in more...

Current Situation in Resolve 14.3
Here's how to set up a "User-defineable Timeline In to Out" range, which can be Looped accordingly:

Despite the ghosted out MARK In and Mark Out menu functions in COLOR page...
Step A: Ensure that LOOP is *not* engaged
Step B: Hit "I" to set a Timeline "In" point and "O" to set Timeline "Out" point.

Your custom Timeline In To Out settings are visible in the COLOR Page Timeline display, though you might need to zoom in on the Timeline display to notice it's there.

Step C: Hit the Timeline Viewer's LOOP gadget Ctrl+/ (Cmd+/ on Mac).

*Immediately* your "invisible COLOR page Timeline Loop range" will repeatedly Play, had the Play mode already been in process through the above 3 steps. if not,

Step D: Hit PLAY for the custom Timeline In/Out range to play.

IMPORTANT: No matter where you subsequently attempt to Play Timeline footage in the COLOR page now, you're forced into repeated playback of that "Custom Timeline Loop range" until you disengage the LOOP gadget ( Ctrl+/ ).

Disabling your custom Loop range will then cause RESOLVE )'s COLOR page to default back to auto-selecting (and indicating the In to Out range of a video clip that's near the Playhead...

This COLOR page clip auto-selection seems to me to be arbitrary, as it does not always auto-select the top-most enabled video clip -- and is cause for my last Feature Request item listed in point "4)" above.
Last edited by Peter Benson on Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:01 am

Peter Benson wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:Can we get the same Edit/Fairlight page Volume slider added to the other pages. It'd come in real handy.
+100

Resolve having it's own built in volume and dim controls is a great feature... but it has the potential to be not so great for users who rely on downstream technical monitoring hardware for audio. The application's volume/dim controls on the EDIT and FAIRLIGHT page directly affects the output level. The DIM function is a pretty obvious on/off toggle, but the volume slider is a variable control with no obvious 'reset to unity' function ... thus an 'adjusted' volume level (intentionally or otherwise) means downstream hardware may no longer be measuring the true level that an export will contain.

Would dearly love a reset function (eg simply double clicking the slider control) that reverts the volume level to unity.

Andy Mees

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:09 am

In the EDIT page, it would great if it was possible to make on the fly adjustments to volume keyframes without stopping playback (as per the FAIRLIGHT page).

Daniel C.S.

PostTue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm

In the editing module that when pressing alt + left / right on the selected clip, it is exchanged as the ctrl + shift + mouse function but without using the mouse. being able to move the clips in the timeline without using the mouse (only with keyboard) would make editing easier

Jim Simon

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Would dearly love a reset function (eg simply double clicking the slider control) that reverts the volume level to unity.

That would be a valuable addition.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Benson

PostTue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Resolve has mouse-less, Left/Right Nudge with the comma " , " and period " . " shortcuts.
Each can be modified w/the Shift key for 1-second Nudge as found in EDIT page TRIM menu:

Nudge 1 Frame Left: ( , )
Nudge 1 Frame Right: ( . )
Nudge Multiframe Left: ( Shift+, )
Nudge Multiframe Right: (Shift+. )

Perhaps Daniel, you've already got the capability you're looking for. If not, tell us more.
Last edited by Peter Benson on Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel C.S.

PostWed May 02, 2018 10:35 am

Peter Benson wrote:
Daniel C.S. wrote:In the editing module that when pressing alt + left / right on the selected clip, it is exchanged as the ctrl + shift + mouse function but without using the mouse. being able to move the clips in the timeline without using the mouse (only with keyboard) would make editing easier
Hmmm. Since we have mouse-less, left/right clip adjust with keyboard shortcuts
Ctrl+< / Ctrl+> (single frame adjust) and
Shift+< / Shift+> (multiframe,1sec adjust) are you certain your request is needful?

RS 14.3 | MiniMonitor | Samsung U28D590 via Spyder5 Pro | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7-4720HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2

yes, you can move clip up/down in channel but not left / right in the timeline (through shortcuts), I work with razer orbweaver croma and I have little to achieve full control of the track without using the mouse. I love shortcuts

Peter Benson

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Daniel C.S. wrote:In the editing module that when pressing alt + left / right on the selected clip...

I'm perplexed, Daniel, because in Resolve 14.3, the ALT+Right [cursor] / ALT+Left [cursor] shortcuts are already assigned for "Slip Audio Subframe" duty.

1. Which version of Resolve have you?
2. What type of action on a selected clip does Alt+Left [cursor] perform, in your version of Resolve? And does it work on Audio clips only?
3. Is that shortcut restricted for Multicam mode only?
I cannot find it in any menu within the Resolve 14.3 EDIT page (Resolve Studio 14.3)
4. What version Resolve are you using, and on which platform (PC, Mac, or Linux)?

Daniel C.S. wrote:...it is exchanged as the ctrl + shift + mouse function but without using the mouse.

I suspect you're suggesting that you wish to see the keyboard shortcut you *first* mentioned, scrapped, and have Ctrl+Shift used instead, but still, it is not clear where, in the EDIT page menu, you found the first shortcut you mentioned.

In Resolve 14.3, Ctrl+Shift allows us to move a clip moves a clip
In the EDIT page, we currently use Alt+Left or Alt+Right (cursor) on a selected clip to move it
Daniel C.S. wrote:being able to move the clips in the timeline without using the mouse (only with keyboard) would make editing easier

While we do have Nudge Left/Right* without use of the mouse (*listed in the EDIT page TRIM menu) it's not clear in your feature request, just what type of "move" action on a "selected clip" you wish to perform with a new shortcut.

If you (or anyone who understands) would explain more clearly
◎ what editing behavior is the current scenario, along with its keyboard shortcut, versus
◎ the desired editing behavior you've attempted to convey, along with the proposed shortcut, that would be most helpful.

Last edited by Peter Benson on Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Benson

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Daniel C.S. wrote:yes, you can move clip up/down in channel...

Here we a few questions for you to reply to, to aid us in understanding your use of technical terms.

Please note "channels" in the EDIT page usually refer to individual streams of audio which can reside within Audio Track(s).

To illustrate, note the attached image from the Fairlight audio page:
As you can see, I have two "channels" of audio within Audio Track A2, and two more channels of audio residing in Audio Track A3, and also in Track A4, and so on...

Tracks, and the channels of audio

But do tell us,
1) What do *you* mean by "channel", Dan?
Remember, channels are displayed as running left and right, inside audio tracks, but you've used the terms up and down in the quite above, and that's where you lost me.

2) I'm using Resolve Studio 14.3
Which version of Resolve are you using (full version number please)?

3) The "Move Selected Clips Left or Right within their Tracks, and Without Use of the Mouse" operation you are wishing for, applies to Video *and* Audio clips, Yes?

4) Is what you wish for, similar to Nudge Left/Right (mouse-less operation via keyboard shortcut) but you want a move that's much larger than the Nudge* operation gives us, correct?

Daniel C.S. wrote:but not left / right in the timeline (through shortcuts)

Just to be clear, you can *indeed* move [selected] audio and video clips, Left and Right, within their Tracks, through the NUDGE shortcuts listed in the TRIM menu: (See 2nd attached image)

The shortcuts are "comma" ( , ) and "period" ( , ) and (Shift+,) (Shift+.)
and they work *without* use of the mouse, but that's only a little bit of movement with each tap on the shortcut:
1 Frame at a time (Nudge One Frame Left/Right) or
1 Second at a time (Nudge Multiframe Left/Right).

ImageImage

Last edited by Peter Benson on Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu May 03, 2018 3:20 am

Great to see lots of requests from previous wish lists add to the latest beta build.

Got a couple of requests for the EDIT page:
1. Ability to manually enter exact timecode position for playhead.

Eg., in both FCP & Premiere, you can double click on the timecode window and enter timecode for the playhead. This really speeds up working with paper edits, instead of having to scrub/navigate to certain points on the timeline.

2. Lengthen/Shorten multiple clips on the timeline simultaneously.

Eg., when you have multiple clips selected on a timeline (layered) and you want to trim their lengths, currently you have to select each one individually to drag. Like in other NLE programs, be great if they could be trimmed (mouse drag) together.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:35 am

Tristian, both of these features are in v14.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Benson

PostThu May 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Tristian, both of these features are in v14.

Hello, Peter. Many users had no idea the Edit Timecode feature was already present because there is no visual feedback after double-clicking into a Timecode Window (at least not in DR 14.3)

1. It would be nice if the Timecode "windows" which have the feature enabling us to custom-type out a *different* Timecode address into them, featured a flashing white text cursor after clicking therein, as a visual cue.

2. Also allow us to visibly see that we're in Timecode Edit mode by a color-change within the T/C window after clicking therein:
e.g., "milky color change" along with aforementioned "flashing white text cursor" after clicking (or double-clicking) in T/C windows

(*I just discovered the Timecode Window Edit/Copy/Paste "hidden feature" in Resolve Studio version 14.3 just moments ago!)

How were we to know that Edit/Copy/Paste feature has been there even since DR 14.3, seeing we are given no pertinent T/C Window visual "feedback" within the Resolve GUI?

3. This need applies also to those T/C windows that are in the Source and the Timeline viewers.

4. Please add the "Edit/Copy/Paste in Timecode Window" feature to the pop-up Markers window, and add supporting, visual feedback as requested in ppint 2 above.

So often I've needed to easily move or place a clip Marker, for instance -- to a specific, different T/C location within a clip, but have not found a fast and easy way to do so, without a repetitious "dragging-guessing-checking" ritual before I finally park the Marker on the desired Frame of audio or video.

I trust others also would tremendously benefit from such feature improvement.

Thank you!

RS 14.3 | MiniMonitor | Samsung U28D590 via Spyder5 Pro | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7-4720HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2

bifericeras

PostThu May 03, 2018 8:21 pm

I installed DaVinci 15 public beta 2 days ago. Because it crashed so often that I couldn't really use it I installed today morning DaVinci 14.3. It even crashes more, I can't change System/User preferences without crashing.

The only feature I would need for a future Version 16 is stability. Honestly I've not seen a program the last 20 years since those on Windows 95 :shock: that crashes so often as DaVinci. Sorry to say that, but after 2 days I'm already done with it. And I was really hoping to invest into the Studio version ...

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:08 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Tristian, both of these features are in v14.

How? For the life of me I can't find information on trimming multiple clips together.

I can use the timecode adjust now - just type it in. Be good if there was some sort of feedback for that process as it's not intuitive to just type in timecode. But happy it works.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve