DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gerron

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 pm

ADR limitation: when playing takes from a recorded take list of a cue to select one of them, the take played is always the last recorded, the one at the top of the audio track - regardless of the take I have chosen to play / check. The correct would be to listen each different take played when clicking on it, regardless the order it was recorded, and also to have the easiness to straight delete the not chosen takes.
PS: ADR is a very, very usefull tool!

Trevor Asquerthian

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Subtitles: Improve background options

Dragging an SRT file in is very cool. Editing is good. Displaying sub content in sub track is good.

Currently we can only set a background style for the whole track it seems, and that requires setting one box width for all captions.

Often we want the background box to adjust with the width of the subtitle (plus padding) - in the rudimentary Avid tool there are more options for the box - e.g. 'set fixed width' (with 'wrap' or 'clip' options), 'make each row as wide as widest line', 'wide as needed' etc

Also be good to have options to have some style options be clip based, some track based and some sequence based.

elideadeye

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 am

-Multiple timeline resolutions would be nice..
-Some kind of Audio sync feature, the current one is useless as it fails to match the audio most of the time. Integration with plural eyes.

mikkomarjamaki

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Automatic color matching with face detection would be great. Just like in the new version of Premiere. Matching different shots manually is just a pain for a color blind person like me.

Also it would be great to be able to change edit page zooming from alt+scroll to ctrl+scroll on windows. (Or please tell me how it's done if it's already possible)

Andrzej

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Can we have ability to open nested timelines ('Open in Timeline' Sequences) in a Secondary Timeline View. So far, we can only open timelines with regular sequence?

Nathan Morgan

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm

On the audio page of clip attributes it would be great if there was a Delete All button.

I have been getting in some clips with 24 audio channels and I love the ability to remap the clip audio to give me just the tracks I need, but the process involves me having to delete tracks one at a time first. I would love it if there was a way to clean the config and then I could just go back in and add just the channels and proper configs that I need.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

regnaDkciN

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Customizable button bars with room for lots of buttons.

JP Perry

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Independent timeline resolutions. Today's post production requires this because clients are demanding social media deliverables in various aspect ratios. Within one project we may need to work with 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, and 4:5.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:54 pm

JP Perry wrote:Independent timeline resolutions. Today's post production requires this because clients are demanding social media deliverables in various aspect ratios. Within one project we may need to work with 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, and 4:5.

+1.

My idea was to "right click" the timeline and have two modes:
1- auto, that works exactly like now (to do not break anything existing)
2- manual, where we set the timeline settings that will overrule the general settings.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andy Mees

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 am

[Copied from the Resolve 15 Big feature request list]

In DaVinci Resolve > Preferences... >> System >> Video and Audio I/O >> Speaker Setup panelRight now we have null, Mono, Stereo and various Surround options, but no way to setup for 'non-surround' multichannel playback/monitoring.

Please add 'Multichannel' to the 'Monitor Set Format' options.

In practice, selecting Multichannel could reveal/enable an "Audio Channels" drop down menu so that the user can select the number of channels required, and below, be able to map those Stem <> Outputs as needed.

For reference: I use a TSL AMU2-BHD+ audio monitoring unit and a Tektronix WFM7200 that both allow me to monitor up to 16 channels of embedded audio from my Decklink card ... but Resolve doesn't seem to have any option to directly feed / pass through more than 2 channels of audio to downstream hardware without using a preset 'surround sound' audio mapping ... which is great if you genuinely want LCRS output etc but not if you want multiple mono/stereo pair mapping eg A1(L1), A2(R1), A3(L2), A4(R2) etc
Last edited by Andy Mees on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josef Pöllmann

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 am

regnaDkciN wrote:Customizable button bars with room for lots of buttons.

+1
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Zdenek Podsednik

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 pm

JP Perry wrote:Independent timeline resolutions. Today's post production requires this because clients are demanding social media deliverables in various aspect ratios. Within one project we may need to work with 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, and 4:5.

+1
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6 on LAN with Project Server 18.5:
- Mac Studio M1 Max, 32GB macOS 14.0
- Lenovo Legion 7-15IMH05, WIN11
- Dell XPS8700 , WIN10

Nimrod Erez

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Buy Avid's Media Composer and make that the Edit page within Resolve.

Offer a function that imports Avid projects lock stock and barrel.

Not too much to ask for I hope.
Mac OS 13.6.3
Apple M1 ULTRA
Resolve Studio - current version
Avid Media Composer - current version

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 3:25 pm

It would be nice if when you Duplicated a timeline it either appended to the end of the Name or incrimented at the end of the name.

The current behavior is that if you have a timeline called "Master Cut" when you duplicate it you get a timeline called "Copy of Master Cut" when editing I find that I am often duplicating cuts.

My personal naming convention (and a convention I often see in with my peers would be to label the cut "Master Cut_V1", "Master Cut_V2"

I would love it if when I duplicated the cut it would just recognize the number at the end of the cut and incremented it. (After Effects has a command similar to this called "Increment and Save".)

So in a perfect world V1 would become V2 etc. If there was no number at the end of the sequence then DaVinci would just add a number Master Cut would become Master Cut_01

Very similar to how DaVinci handles unique media in the render page.

If this is to crazy to ask for even just having the new text added to the end of the timeline name would be awesome. Ex. "Master Cut" would become "Master Cut Copy"
Desktop Video 12.0

Manuel Geissinger

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 pm

For my part: Stability. Nothing else. Even if everyone else is going to hate me for this now, please do not add any new features. And maybe check this video, it should speak for itself. The message is worth the 15min. I think.

kingofthejungle

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Please give Fairlight fill DAW capabilities.

It would be great if fairlight got full DAW capabilities i.e recording midi ,so that it is possible to score directly in Resolve

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

- Different modes of snapping. It would be great if we could choose whether the playhead or cursor snaps to video, or audio, or both.

- Please add audio editing capabilities like Audition has such as the Spectral mode editing to remove unwanted sounds, noise, etc.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:23 am

It would be great if we could select a channel from the main bus to put on each track. That way if we need to output a Quicktime with 5.1, 2.0, and 2.0 M&E as 10 separate tracks of audio we could. It would allow for much more configurability of our outputs.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

etang77

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:21 am

I would like multi-subtitle track display and output.

Right now it can only display one at a time, but for places like Hong Kong and Malaysia, they start with two language or three languages on screen.

Trensharo

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

Can Resolve round-trip with external Audio Editors (like Sound Forge) yet?

If not, add that. [EDIT: Audio Round Tripping works with Sound Forge in 15.1 - THANKS!]

Would also like this for Graphics Editors, as well.

The NLE needs an update mechanism, or at least a way to check to see if an updated version is available.

Please publish a Resolve 15.x Key Map in PDF format... I can't believe I have to ask for this :-P

waltervolpatto

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

can the layer modes (screen, lighten and so on) be in the node itself,, so we don't have to use a layer mixer as a separate element?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

waltervolpatto

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:tracker interactive mode, ad two function:

A free form shape to remove points
A free form shape to add points

also, in interactive mode, I would be able to select features that are in the whole image, not just where the shape is.

think of a face: the shape in in the bag under the eye: there is little to track there. I want to be able to track the whole face and assign the result to the other shape.

think of an object the is at the edge of the scene and I want to track the in/out of it. It is very difficult to do it now, but if i can add few feature of what is next to it, it will work.

on top, add a [extended area] from a shape feature for tracking: same idea if you have the bag under the eye, i can use a normal shape and identify the region, the say [extend are by X amount] to grow the area where to track features.

Jake Wipp

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Support for Audio in Fusion

waltervolpatto

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be nice if when you Duplicated a timeline it either appended to the end of the Name or incrimented at the end of the name.

The current behavior is that if you have a timeline called "Master Cut" when you duplicate it you get a timeline called "Copy of Master Cut" when editing I find that I am often duplicating cuts.

My personal naming convention (and a convention I often see in with my peers would be to label the cut "Master Cut_V1", "Master Cut_V2"

I would love it if when I duplicated the cut it would just recognize the number at the end of the cut and incremented it. (After Effects has a command similar to this called "Increment and Save".)

So in a perfect world V1 would become V2 etc. If there was no number at the end of the sequence then DaVinci would just add a number Master Cut would become Master Cut_01

Very similar to how DaVinci handles unique media in the render page.

If this is to crazy to ask for even just having the new text added to the end of the timeline name would be awesome. Ex. "Master Cut" would become "Master Cut Copy"

+100

and we went from
[original timeline name + copy] (v14)
to
[copy of original timeline name] (v15)

Why?

Jed Mitchell

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I want to be able to track the whole face and assign the result to the other shape..

I agree there should be an explicit way of doing it, but there is already a way to do this with the existing tracker.

If I'm isolating small features, especially those with movements inside the area I want to track (eye blinks, mouth movements, etc), I start with a large window around the whole face and get a solid track that sticks well.

Once I have the track set, I resize and reposition the window to my intended feature. The tracking data isn't affected by subsequent changes to the window shape so it's effectively like having a tracking area extension (or re-targetting a track from one window to another, however you like to describe it).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

waltervolpatto

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 am

Jed Mitchell wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:I want to be able to track the whole face and assign the result to the other shape..

I agree there should be an explicit way of doing it, but there is already a way to do this with the existing tracker.

If I'm isolating small features, especially those with movements inside the area I want to track (eye blinks, mouth movements, etc), I start with a large window around the whole face and get a solid track that sticks well.

Once I have the track set, I resize and reposition the window to my intended feature. The tracking data isn't affected by subsequent changes to the window shape so it's effectively like having a tracking area extension (or re-targetting a track from one window to another, however you like to describe it).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

yes, often this is what I do, but it is a workaround at best...

Jed Mitchell

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Resolve has perfected the art of turning workarounds into standard workflows :)

Unrelated, this is my request for the Fusion page:

"Full Screen Flow" UI Option

What is it?
+ An option in the Workspace menu under the Dual Screen submenu, right next to Full Screen Timeline

How does it work?
+ Just like the Full Screen Timeline, it swaps the position of the Flow area on the Fusion page to be full screen, and takes the assorted Media Pool / Spline / Keyframe / Etc areas and moves them onto the page with the L/R Viewers. Key difference here between this and the Edit page Full Screen Timeline is that the Flow goes to the secondary screen, not the primary.

What does it look like?
+ Here is how I have it laid out in Fusion 9 (and in Nuke), with the Flow area taking up the full right-hand screen:

My 2nd monitor happens to be in portrait mode because I use vertical node graphs in Fu / Nuke / Houdini, but the feature would work the same either way. (Aside: in general I wish Fusion would better support vertical node layouts, they are the industry standard for a reason).

Why would you want this?
+ Look at any large comp and you'll realize how nice it can be to have a giant area in which to stay organized. On a small screen the tendency is to cram nodes together so they're easy to grab without panning around, but on more complicated shots you really, really want to spread out your work so you can keep it legible. The tiny Flow area in Resolve's current Fusion page is fine if all you're doing is animating a single piece of text, but try doing something more complicated and it gets infuriating very quickly.

On a somewhat related note, Fusion really needs better labels & backdrop tools. The Underlay is a bit of a disaster and makes it very hard to manipulate nodes on top of it. You can hack it with a Group but this comes with just as many workarounds and annoyances. A simple block of color that can be locked down and labeled is all we need.
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

Jim Simon

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Nimrod Erez wrote:Buy Avid's Media Composer and make that the Edit page within Resolve.

Oh, I hope that never happens. I just got some Avid training and I much prefer the Resolve (and even Premiere Pro) editing functionality. I find Avid's methodology very odd and frustrating by comparison, with one exception - the ability to cut an empty track and then fill those cuts.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Seth Goldin

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 pm

On the Edit page, when an offline reference clip is linked to the timeline, and you click on the viewer for ganged reference clip, it would be great if hitting the spacebar, J, or L, would play the reference clip and the timeline at actual the native speed of the timeline as set in Project Settings. Currently, if you hit the spacebar, J, or L, the reference clip starts playing ridiculously fast, much faster than the frame rate that's actually set. Just seems like an weird bug.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Seth Goldin

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm

UEFI for BMD build of CentOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willgarr

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Optimized Media

I would like to know when optimized media is being used and if it exists. At the moment I cannot find any indication if a clip has been optimized. In the preview window I do not know if I am seeing the original file or optimized file.

Thank you.

Anton Meleshkevich

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Please add LMS CAT02 color space to Resolve CMS.
I'd like to set node color space to linear LMS CAT02 and adjust WB using gain trackball. This is almost like adjusting WB in RAW, if timeline color space set correctly.
Now I have to use two DCTLs, that transform from linear XYZ to LMS CAT02 and after adjusting WB transform from LMS CAT02 back to XYZ.

julian_b

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:05 pm

+1

Sooo necessary! I can't believe it's still not there.

Jake Wipp wrote:Support for Audio in Fusion

+100

That is super important.
And Fusion Standalone also needs way better audio support with smoother playback and a more flexible way to load audio files and offset them in time visually.

Roen Davis

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 am

Levels of Lockedness

...sounds like a novel!
With the implementation of subtitling and improved titling
(and hopefully a "Styles" system that would allow all titles logged as "Style 1" to be globally adjusted: size, attruibutes, font etc.)

It would be great to be able to lock the position of an item but leave the attributes editable. This would be to prevent inadvertently moving the position of a text item while simply trying to revise the text content or adding OFX to a layer 2 item.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Diego Borghello

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Being able to select LOG legacy (or default) on a shot by shot basis, better yet if it's by node.
There are looks that work better in log legacy and others at default. It would be great to use both in the same project.

Jason Conrad

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:35 am

Windows, panels, and text fields should always indicate which has focus. This is GUI 101, people.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

roger.magnusson

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:Windows, panels, and text fields should always indicate which has focus. This is GUI 101, people.

Agreed, it would also allow implementing copy/paste of individual OpenFX between clips on the Edit page, like in other NLE:s.

fateh.shams

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Feels like even if we are using panels, the small dots to jump between "Primaries Wheels, Primaries Bars, Log" are too small to hit in 1-click. Yes, we can press drop-down menu on the right side of wheels and select but then you have to click twice.

Also valid for the Curves, Tracker, Blur, Sizing - when you want to jump quickly between Custom, Hue vs Hue, Hue vs Sat or between Window, Stabilizer, FX etc.

Did a rough skiss how I would like to have these as big buttons for jump between with 1-click only.
Attachments
HSL.jpg
HSL.jpg (950.15 KiB) Viewed 15098 times
Curves.jpg
Curves.jpg (959.09 KiB) Viewed 15098 times

David Skok

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I would like to see the 3D Viewer LUT work in the Edit page and not just in the Color and Deliver pages. I do most of my playback in the Edit page, and that is where I notice that something needs color correcting. Not seeing the video correctly in the Edit page is quite frustrating.

I understand that it may be disabled for higher performance playback on slower machines, so if that is the case, give us an option to turn it on or off, so those of us with high performance machines can still use it.

Thanks, David

Trevor Asquerthian

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Be good if "update Timecode from audio track-LTC" worked on audio only clips - currently I have to add a dummy video track.

Also be good if it could populate an Aux timecode track (which would be an additional FR) AND if it could handle breaks in timecode.

All very niche requests so probably down the list!

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:37 am

It would be cool if there was a way in the media page to sift out or highlight media that had already been added to the project. This would help prevent adding media in multiple times to different paths in the project and reduce project bloat.
Desktop Video 12.0

georgekg

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:40 am

Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be cool if there was a way in the media page to sift out or highlight media that had already been added to the project. This would help prevent adding media in multiple times to different paths in the project and reduce project bloat.
+1

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

dvdent

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 7:41 am

Would like to see
Grid spacing - minutes, seconds, quarter notes, eighth notes, etc.
1.jpg
1.jpg (277.31 KiB) Viewed 13937 times

Video fx on video track
2.jpg
2.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 13937 times

Presets in Inspector (Proportional Crop and etc)
5.jpg
5.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 13937 times

After playback clip cursor return, click on a clip so that the cursor moves to this point.

AndreasOberg

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 am

- Optimising media and Rendering on another thread so you can keep working
- Sub folders for smart bins

/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Margus Voll

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 2:29 pm

o Have marker names as file names on export option
o Have Marker names (description) on burn in as option
o custom expression for burn in field from clip metadata (resolution, fps, colorspace)

Editing now series of commercials an all that would make my workflow so much faster and easier.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Seth Goldin

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Margus Voll wrote:o custom expression for burn in field from clip metadata (resolution, fps, colorspace)

This is already possible in the data burn-in window. See Ch. 144 on p. 2590 in the 15 manual for what variables you can use. The "Custom" fields in the data burn-in window can take advantage of those variables.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 pm

when the two monitor in edit are "ganged" allow for swapping the focus in the main window using the [Q] shortcut (at the moment we have to un-gang, "Q" then gang it again)

alphabetical order sorting in any menu (group, timeline, etc...)

Dermot Shane

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm

when in the NR window, show noise distb on a graph per color channel
much like Paul Dore's Nosie Distb DCTL
or Nucoda's ui when Clairity is selected
most deluxe would be to show before and after NR is applied

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 am

NR and all ofx plugin should have the blend with separate RGB channels.

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 am

Seth Goldin wrote:
Margus Voll wrote:o custom expression for burn in field from clip metadata (resolution, fps, colorspace)

This is already possible in the data burn-in window. See Ch. 144 on p. 2590 in the 15 manual for what variables you can use. The "Custom" fields in the data burn-in window can take advantage of those variables.

Ok. Lets rephrase then. Make it look more obvious for options :D

Thanks for the hint!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve