DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gabriele Gelfo

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 am

DaVinci Resolve 16 will be renamed DaVinci 2019
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Frank Engel

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm

I would like to see better support for 3rd part controllers - in particular, the ability to use the "A" button on the Tangent Ripple to toggle one of the trackballs to be the offset wheel, and the ability to map custom MIDI controllers/events to various Resolve features in addition to a "normal" control surface.

The MIDI controller mapping should be able to be set up differently for each area of Resolve so that we can use one control surface across editing, compositing, mixing, and coloring, with the surface adapting to the task at hand (based on how the user configured it).

Paul Carlin

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

I would like to add another checkbox to the Render Settings:

Disable edit and input sizing
Disable output sizing and blanking
Force sizing to highest quality
Force debayer to highest quality
Professional Problem Solver

Tom Early

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Paul Carlin wrote:I would like to add another checkbox to the Render Settings:

why?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 13.6, Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Jack Swart

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 am

Christmas is either late or early.
Depends if you are a glass half empty or glass half full person.

DR16.png
DR16.png (447.49 KiB) Viewed 12521 times
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Philipp Glaninger

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for posting the picture ... I was looking forward for an early sneak peek like this!

"Introducing the next Generation in Editing!"

OK. Hmmmm.... Let´s hope it will contain a lot "Evolution" for the other pages too (Color, Fairlight, Export, etc.) and not just the Editing Page.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Oli Koos

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 am

Are those movies in the background all done with fusion? Is that a clue that we integration with fusion will be even tighter?

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 am

Oli Koos wrote:Are those movies in the background all done with fusion? Is that a clue that we integration with fusion will be even tighter?

I believe they were all edited with Resolve. Could be wrong but that is what I think they are saying with the banner
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Ugo Laurenti

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 6:06 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
I would like a change in that:
Out of the box it does show blackmagic images
There is a "client folder": if I populate that, it will load those images instead.

Would it be nice I'd I can show images from my projects in startup?

It would be better if we can use your images at startup with our clients...

:D
PC Gigabyte z390, i9-9900k 3,6MHz,32Gb, Zotac 1080ti, Decklink MiniMonitor, Eizo CG2420 Windows10Pro, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Tangent Element Panel Kit, MB Air m1.

VioletWolf

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Australian Image wrote:Just have a look at the website: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au.

APRIL 8th! 3 more sleeps!

:mrgreen:
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Clip, custom filters, smart filters and groups

If I ask to rename a group, please present the current name, not a generic (group #)

The ability to right click --> [duplicate smart filter]
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

danielstonehouse

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Tom Early wrote:

why?

Because rendering a lengthy project to individual clips with output blanking accidentally left on and then having to re render is a far too frequent occurrence for the average working colourist.

The situations where you would want output sizing and blanking to apply to individual clip renders are pretty rare (maybe making proxies for a project with weird centre cut frame extraction or something)?

While we are at it, make XML generation an explicit checkbox, rather than a magical option with certain render settings presets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danielstonehouse

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Oh, and an option to set an upper limit for source res would be much appreciated.

Ie if you set a threshold of UHD you could render everything at source res, apart from the 6k and 8k footage, which would be limited to fit inside 3840 x 2160

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Clip attributes, tinecode

1) ability to select multiple clips and set a timecode (note you can do it once at the time)
2) the ability to switch between frame count and embedded after you imported the clips (media page).

Those will make vfx assembly much easier
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Paul Carlin

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Tom Early wrote:

why?

Thank you Danielstonehouse for stepping in to answer for me. Often I need to render individual clips for DRS or VFX to deal with QC fixes and I want individual clips (I need to be able to name each of them) that match the original camera sources. Output blanking has been a nuisance when doing this, so to be able to disable it would be a time saver.

BrianDors

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Tom Early wrote:
it's already got Star Wipe, everything else is redundant

The greatest quote on this forum.
WIN10
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH w/ Thunderbolt 3
i7-6700K @4 (OC'ed to 4.4) water cooled
64GB RAM @2400
GTX 1080Ti - 417.35 - DirectX12
1TB 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2
Resolve Studio 15.2.2

Oli Koos

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi,

Here is my short term feature request list for things that I think should not wait for v17 and should still be integrated into the final build of v16.

- Make Zoom shortcuts persistent over the different pages. At the moment in the Edit/Color page it is cmd + mouse wheel while in Fusion it is ctrl + mouse wheel. That makes no sense.

- Edit Page has a blade icon to cut, while Fairlight has a scissor. (why?) (in cut page it has yet again a another name (cut) and icon, so three different icons and three different names for the same tool!

- In Fusion some (if not all the new) effects do not show up in the effect library, while they do in the shift space search bar. Also, why not also integrate a search function in the effect library as it is the case in the Edit and Color page.

- Fusion, please bring back the picon-images for the effects that used to be in Fusion standalone 9, makes it so much easier for a new user to get to know what the effects do

- Edit, please bring back the contextual duplicate timeline function (right-click on a timeline clip in the media pool, timeline - duplicate timeline (plenty of space there and it will not confuse anybody).

- color page, please bring the fabulous spline editor from Fusion to the color page. The color page keyframes need some real love. You can not do any splines, as you can do in the Edit or Fusion page, and this is again inconsistent.

- Edit Page, Text tool, do we still need both? Maybe make the old text tool only available in the options by checking, "enable legacy text tool"

- As a personal opinion, I would not activate the Cut page on default while this page is still in such an early stage. Curious users could still activate it in the workspace - show page menu.

- The Cut page could fill up an entire forum topic, but I think Bins should also be consistent as it is in the Edit Page. At the moment it does actually slow us down if we do want to use a Bin workflow in the Cut page.

v16 is a good build, great work as always, but it could use some more consistency.

gnuyork

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Doing my first cut in Resolve 15 (because..ahem... Premiere can't read the BRAW files from my new BMPCC...caught me by surprise, actually).

I'm not sure what's all implemented in version 16, and I have yet to read through this thread...

Right off the bat, clips in the bin in list view...can be labeled with a color, but you only see the color on the timeline. I need to see those colors in the bin...in list view. Unless I'm missing something.

2nd... and don't laugh...but I have been cutting in FCP from the first version up to version 7 and switched to Premiere when FCPX came out. One thing I liked is that I could still use the FCP7 keyboard shortcuts in Premiere and still make a few custom tweaks to my keyboard shortcuts like using command shift to move clips up or down tracks in the timeline to be more like FCP7 (That didnl;t carry over into Premiere with the FCP7 shortcuts). I see Resolve has the keyboard layouts for FCPX but not 7.

One of those is the "Add Edit" shortcut that I can assign to any button. I like it to be the tilda key...I'm right handed and use a Wacom and my left finger rides that tilda key more than anything else in my edits....is this possible in Resolve 15? I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm sure there I will be needing more...but I've yet to start my first project. I'm procrastinating :D

PS - LOVING the BMPCC 4k.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Oli Koos wrote:- Edit Page, Text tool, do we still need both?

Yes, we do. There are differences, and advantages, between them.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Oli Koos

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

What do you have in the text tool that you do not have in the text+?

Dermot Shane

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:08 am

later in the beta i would like to see the tear-off scopes be able to:
1) display mutiple instances of a view
2) have 6 up and 8 up settings for those of us with dual larger ui monitors / 21:9 mon's

waltervolpatto

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 am

Dermot Shane wrote:later in the beta i would like to see the tear-off scopes be able to:
2) have 6 up and 8 up settings for those of us with dual larger ui monitors / 21:9 mon's

+1

Adrian Mcyorian

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 am

Jim Simon wrote:

Make different sizes or color on same node of text+ is a pain...(I know, modifiers and stuff) but... I'd love a combination of two tools in one!... Easy and power...

Enviado desde mi MI 8 Lite mediante Tapatalk
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 18.5.1
CPU: Intel core I5
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX 1070

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Just copy some of my requests from [Davinci] Resolve 17 | Big Feature Requests list viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88857&start=50

- Separate simplified "Cut" page only makes things more complicated. My opinion is it is better just implement more useful features to one single solid normal universal Timeline. Unify, simplify it and make more user friendly.

- Starting from 4-5 tracks in stack "Cut" page timeline became near unusable and takes more space than classic Edit page timeline. And if slightly redesign Edit page timeline it may hold even more tracks in same amount of space.

- Option to remove fixed bottom audio tracks area and be able to arrange audio and video tracks to any position. Fixed audio tracks area from early days classic fcp/premiere design feels very outdated and not always useful.
- Option to drag and drop tracks up and down with mouse.
- Option to view Marker extended vertical guide lines across all timeline.
- Option to see horizontal Guides for each track, or visually separate tracks with light tint.
- Option to add Effects and filters to the tracks
- Option to be able grab to middle toolbar area at any empty space to move it up or down (similar to FCPX/ Motion). Currently i need to grab to tiny line only.
Option to Pin track on top/bottom of the Timeline. In situation when need always visible reference audio or video track
- Option to change UI tint (lighter grey-darker grey)

- Option to add simple drag and drop crossfades that don't cut clips when you move them. Similar to used in Vegas, SoundForge and Reaper editors. Shift+Alt when dragging is not the same. It works only in one direction.

- Unify Timeline navigation keys, mouse+key modifiers and scroll wheel behavior between Edit, Fusion, Fairlight and Color Pages

- RED IPP2 processing in OFX CST node

-Ability to preview on external monitors without BMD card.

- Finally fix side pixel line problem when set Pan/Tilt to 0.5px, required to fix Cross Hatching effect.
problem described in details here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936&p=497763#p497763
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75290&p=456601#p456601

- Timeline Shift+Z keyboard switch gives you quick zoom to all clips view level and back that makes "instant zoom" Cut page logic and arguments like "zooming takes so many time" even more useless.
But even Shift+Z keyboard switch needs some improvement. For unknown reason it always leaves a lot of empty space at the right when zoomed out to all clips view.

- Take a look at Vegas editor timeline "culture". For my opinion it has perfect timeline logic that saves tons of time during navigation and editing. One single timeline field that can be zoomed horizontally and vertically, flexible track height, navigation with middle mouse scroll. Total freedom in placing and mixing audio and video tracks in any position. You never think what button to press and where to scroll, overlap or replace. Scroll, scroll, drag, drag, S-button to split, simple overlap clips to crossfade. If you don't like how crossfade look - just move clip back. That's actually all you need to edit and concentrate on story but not at the multiple complicated buttons learning.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Gamut Scope tool also may be improved in future:
- Visualize gamuts as 3d model
- show different gamut projection types
- slicer slider to see part of the gamut projection at specified lightness level
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Oli Koos

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 3:04 pm

I was just thinking how much I miss the old storyboard function from Fast Media AG. Liquid (aka pinnacle liquid, aka Avid Liquid). Avid media composer has it now for awhile called storyboard editing and
Premiere Pro has it now as well since the last update. Storyboarding allows you to freely drag and drop clips on a sort of desktop to roughly sketch a narrative together (imagine how useful this can be for documentaries). I would love seeing this in Resolve as well.

VioletWolf

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Plus one for Story Boards!
(You should post this suggestion on the ver16 beta forum. I don't know if any devs are still reading this thread, they're pretty busy over there)
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Jack Swart

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 5:10 am

Most users would know that it possible to Export the Project as a .drp file which contains everything, except the media, to recreate the project on another system, even across different operating systems.

My idea is to introduce an export dialog box that appears on quitting.

This box would ask a simple question.

Do you wish to export (or save) your project to....

The destination directory is simply the folder in which the media for that project is located or it can be changed, in which case it is remembered.

There are three possible responses..

Yes, No and Do not show this dialog box again...

Just an idea...

waltervolpatto

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Jack Swart wrote:Most users would know that it possible to Export the Project as a .drp file which contains everything, except the media, to recreate the project on another system, even across different operating systems.

My idea is to introduce an export dialog box that appears on quitting.

This box would ask a simple question.

Do you wish to export (or save) your project to....

The destination directory is simply the folder in which the media for that project is located or it can be changed, in which case it is remembered.

There are three possible responses..

Yes, No and Do not show this dialog box again...

Just an idea...

Doesn't archive a project with luts and still active that?

Jack Swart

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Just proposing an idea where a simple dialog box on quit achieves:

1. A single file that contains your project in a location set by the user.

2. A safety to guard against a corrupt database and project loss.

I have read of quite a few instances where DBs have crashed leaving the users high and dry and also power users recommending a .drp file as a backup.

This idea is simply to prompt the creation of a backup every time you exit the app.

Margus Voll

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Dermot Shane wrote:later in the beta i would like to see the tear-off scopes be able to:

+1
HML scope on top of that.

Sent while walking
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

José Santos

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 12:44 pm

The new adjustment clip is really awesome, but having to go to the edit page to apply it can be annoying!

It would be really awesome to be able to add the adjustment clip from the color page!

It could be as easy as defining an in and out point in the timeline (since we can now in define a custom loop region) and right click to find the option to add adjustment clip in the sub menu. That would place an adjustment clip over any clip within the previously selected in and out points.

I think this makes a lot of sense and does not sound that complicated to implement (at leat to someone like who has no idea about programming)

waltervolpatto

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 5:12 pm

José Santos wrote:The new adjustment clip is really awesome, but having to go to the edit page to apply it can be annoying!

It would be really awesome to be able to add the adjustment clip from the color page!

It could be as easy as defining an in and out point in the timeline (since we can now in define a custom loop region) and right click to find the option to add adjustment clip in the sub menu. That would place an adjustment clip over any clip within the previously selected in and out points.

I think this makes a lot of sense and does not sound that complicated to implement (at leat to someone like who has no idea about programming)

I'm so happy to have it that I don't mind to have it in the edit page at all.

westgate

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 am

Would like to be able to make simple cuts of BRAW files in BRAW player. At least in half. I'm filming myself so half files are for nothing. It would save gigabytes of space... Not sure if anybody talked about it/need it...

Piotr Podermanski

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Two simple things I miss on daily basis.

1. APPLY GRADING from another clip with middle mouse button in EDIT workspace (like it is in COLOR workspace) It's a simple feature which would speed up the workflow, as it would allow rough grading of similar shots without the need of constantly jumping between EDIT and COLOR workspace.

2. Mute all audio button next to bypass grading button. When one wants to edit video only without audio distracting the flow.

mikematzdorff

PostWed May 01, 2019 9:55 pm

plus one on being able to select multiple items in the EDIT INDEX and adjust metadata or clip info (ala FCPX)

waltervolpatto wrote:edit, edit index.

Upon select a single or multiple clips, right click on them, i should be able to change clip color ad if i am in the timeline or add/ remove a flag, or place a marker (that will be placed on the clip art frame 1).

For example, I have a timeline where i can make a filter and find a bunch of clips (vfx in this case) and i want to mark then yellow so i can easily find them in the edit or color page.

Can't do it unless i go shoot by shot and in the timeline i right click and change there

Jim Simon

PostWed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Oli Koos wrote:What do you have in the text tool that you do not have in the text+?

Simplicity and an absence of Fusion rendering.

For example, try changing the color of a single word in both types of titles.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm

José Santos wrote:It would be really awesome to be able to add the adjustment clip from the color page!

You can't edit anything from the Color page. That's not it's purpose.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 09, 2019 2:22 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

As v16 feature set is already disclosed at NAB im going to lock this thread and let new ideas spring up in the v17 request thread.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve