Cinema 4D 3D Object & Materials Export to Resolve 15 Fusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

Cinema 4D 3D Object & Materials Export to Resolve 15 Fusion

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 am

Hello, I am in need of some guidance. I've created a lot of great things in Cinema 4D ever since Cinema 4D Lite came with After Effects. I'm very good at using Cinema 4D and After Effects in tandem. Either using Cineware or Element 3D to bring the Cinema 4D files into After Effects. It works great.

So my problem comes with using Fusion. I cannot get any of my 3D objects from Cinema 4D to work in Fusion as well as I do in After Effects. Here is an example of one of those 3D objects I created in Cinema 4D that I would like to be able to bring into Fusion.
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 11.32.57 PM.png
Cinema 4D Project
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 11.32.57 PM.png (632.35 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

I really would like to escape from the need to use After Effects. However, I won't make that switch without the proper guidance since I will always fall back on After Effects if I can't get past the growing pains.

One such example is with Camera Tracking to Cinema 4D and back to Fusion. I'm having issues with this as well. Especially with being able to bring the shadows over from Cinema 4D.

Again, this is easy for me to do in After Effects right now. Yet, Fusion is definitely the better program to use to do this. So a good comprehensive guide on how to do these things would be invaluable. Especially any Tutorials that can be put out by Blackmagic Design.

Thus, I think it would be great for Blackmagic Design to work on some Tutorials for former After Effects users that help guide them through things they do in AE and how to do it in Fusion.

Otherwise, I'm loving the addition of Fusion in Resolve. It's amazing. Can't wait to see where this goes in the future.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

timbutt2

Re: Cinema 4D 3D Object & Materials Export to Resolve 15 Fus

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 am

Bump... anyone with experience on this? Really would like to be able to do this because the alternative is sticking with After Effects.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Rick van den Berg

Re: Cinema 4D 3D Object & Materials Export to Resolve 15 Fus

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 am

i dont think there is a direct link with any 3d app, you can however import FBX/alembic files into fusion (which are 3d files) , but thats not interactive with your cinema4d project. you could also just render it inside cinema 4d and bring the files in fusion and composite everything there.

to be honest, i think if you're modelling/animating something in cinema4d or any 3d app, its better to export it as video files anyway (in combination with a fbx/alembic), because it makes the compositing much lighter, and easier to handle.

what i would like to ask though,
as you said, your current workflow works great, you're creating great stuff, so why would you change it?

but i could see why you would like to use fusion, if you really want to migrate from after effects, i think you should consider ditching the thoughts of having a completely interactive link with c4d.
but thats not a step ''back'' as you may think now. it might even streamline your workflow.

there's a lot of things you could do with the combination of multi pass renders/fbx'/alembics

Return to DaVinci Resolve