Non-adaptive background for subtitles: intended?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Forrest McBride

Re: Non-adaptive background for subtitles: intended?

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Is this a joke? I'm slowly moving over from premiere to Resolve, and this was my first little thing I wanted to do in this program as I slowly migrate.

Im in 16.2.5. and Don't even have 'Track Styles' on but everytime I change the box, it changes all the boxes so I wasted 30 minutes hand doing something to find out I was just changing all the boxes for all the subtitles as I was moving on to the next text.

rintelen

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm

It is a joke. Is premier pro better at this?

Sean van Berlo

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 pm

BUMP. How is this still not fixed?

DannyCelaya

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 5:24 pm

***October 2020***

Please address adaptive background, please please please.

DannyCelaya

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm

This didn't work for me. No background in youtube .srt export. Captions were also no longer centered.

Fredrik Johansson wrote:This is a workaround BUT we ended up doing it this way:

1. Create subtitles in Resolve and export as srt

2. Upload the film to youtube and import the srt. Youtube then adds the background and then export a new srt from youtube.

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 1:43 am

Forget subtitling in Resolve and use a specialized tool.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Lakior

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned already.

The workaround I use is adding an empty text layer below the subtitle and adjusting the background accordingly. This way you can change the width/length for each subtitle.

brandoncmanning

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 4:53 pm

+1 - please add adaptive caption backgrounds that adjust based on the text width/height automatically.

Danny Phillips

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 11:19 pm

I too would love some refinement with the subtitles tools... I do lots of subtitling and as earlier posted ... 70% awesome - 30% frustrating..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmosfar

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 pm

One thing with subtitling I've found very frustating is the poor implementation of text wrapping. I create social media videos in mutiple formats (vertical, square, widescreen), and for each of them I have to go through and manually insert the linebreaks. DR seems to wrap the subtitle text based on an assumption that the display is widescreen, no matter what the actual video aspect ratio is...

botarkalle

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm on 17 beta 2, and still the same... It would save us a ton of time, if the background would be adaptive.

atmosfar

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 pm

atmosfar wrote:One thing with subtitling I've found very frustating is the poor implementation of text wrapping. I create social media videos in mutiple formats (vertical, square, widescreen), and for each of them I have to go through and manually insert the linebreaks. DR seems to wrap the subtitle text based on an assumption that the display is widescreen, no matter what the actual video aspect ratio is...

Update on this: I learned that you can change the max width for subtitles in the Project settings by setting it to a certain number of characters. That's not so useful when your project has multiple timelines with different aspect ratios... so close but so far.

@BMD - make subtitle max width a timeline setting instead of project setting!

gunst.studio

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 12:30 pm

How can this be still a thing in Dec. 2020?!

Did someone already make a feature request?

vegasprouser

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 3:38 am

Hey, Davinci Resolve coders? How about a Christmas present for the community? That adaptive background would be amazing to have in v17. So that it adapts to width and heights of the subtitle text. I'm really looking forward to it.

revmarkp

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 9:15 am

+1 for adaptive subtitle backgrounds that resize according to line length and depth - pretty PLEASE!

Nick Papps

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am

Yes! Wow, I have 3 videos in 3 different languages to add captions for. I'm in for a long road without adaptive background. Yikes.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 12:09 pm

If you don't want to wait for BM, here is a specialized tool:
http://www.zeitanker.com/content/tools/ ... tion_edit/
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

wfolta

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm wanting to figure out a workaround for folks, but am a little confused about the workflow being discussed. It seems to start with importing an srt subtitle file, which creates subtitle track Then I think there are two options:

1. Hard subtitles, burned into the output video.

2. Soft subtitles, that are somehow included in the output video file

3. The subtitles in Resolve are only for reference while in Resolve. Pass the srt file on with the completed video, deleting or muting the subtitle track in Resolve. Downstream (Youtube, etc) the video and srt file will be merged into soft subtitles.

Option 3 isn't a problem, per-se. Option 1 might be handled with some scripting that creates a track with Text+ titles for each Subtitle Track subtitle. Option 2 I don't understand the ramifications and if a background is even part of the specification in the output video.

I think it's possible to create a script that works around Option 1, but if that's not the problem that people are seeing -- or if it's been solved in v17 or something -- it's not worth trying to figure it out. Thoughts?
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

atmosfar

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 pm

wfolta wrote:I'm wanting to figure out a workaround for folks, but am a little confused about the workflow being discussed. It seems to start with importing an srt subtitle file, which creates subtitle track Then I think there are two options:

1. Hard subtitles, burned into the output video.

2. Soft subtitles, that are somehow included in the output video file

3. The subtitles in Resolve are only for reference while in Resolve. Pass the srt file on with the completed video, deleting or muting the subtitle track in Resolve. Downstream (Youtube, etc) the video and srt file will be merged into soft subtitles.

Option 3 isn't a problem, per-se. Option 1 might be handled with some scripting that creates a track with Text+ titles for each Subtitle Track subtitle. Option 2 I don't understand the ramifications and if a background is even part of the specification in the output video.

I think it's possible to create a script that works around Option 1, but if that's not the problem that people are seeing -- or if it's been solved in v17 or something -- it's not worth trying to figure it out. Thoughts?

There is a python script for Text+ subtitling, or at least a proof of concept, here - https://github.com/atmosfar/srt_to_textplus

Kakiisch

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am

BUMP.

There should be no reason to go for external Python scripts when it comes to an adaptive background in subtitles.

Andrew bird

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 11:34 am

Hey everyone, do the BM devs monitor this thread?

I was actually working at the BBC years ago, when this issue prevented us from ditching FCPro.

Now 4 broadcast agencies later, still can't recommend we use Resolve because this issue. It actually costs time and more budget having to send subs off elsewhere on long-form content.

I think we should all submits a feature request instead of here.

dave4443

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 am

Plz guys, fix

JessePea

PostSat May 01, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah. This seems odd. I want to add subtitles, 'cos I have hearing impaired friends, but, as you can only have one subtitle track, every change I make to the background of single clip, changes every clip in the subtitle timeline. Hence, background widths for a single word, are applied to those with a long sentence. Or vice-versa, where you have a long black line background across the screen for a single word of text. So, now I'm forced to work around this using the text function and applying a background generator - kinda diy subtitling, which seems to negate the subtitle function at all. So, please, yes, adaptive subs would be great, where you can alter the background style of clips independently. I think I'm right in this, but apologies if I've missed the point. Let me know if I am right and that it is currently impossible to change the background width to a subtitle, without it applying to every clip. Still loving the program in all, and much appreciate it for free. Thanks.

atmosfar

PostMon May 03, 2021 9:00 pm

JessePea wrote:I think I'm right in this, but apologies if I've missed the point. Let me know if I am right and that it is currently impossible to change the background width to a subtitle, without it applying to every clip. Still loving the program in all, and much appreciate it for free. Thanks.

You are right, unfortunately.

Roy Chisholm

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Any update on adding adaptive background for subtitles?

infinityespi

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 6:15 pm

Honestly, this feature is kinda a need more than a want at this point. am using a AI transcription and subtitling website to do my subtitling until resolve gets that figured out. Having this feature would simplify our workflow more
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
macOS Big Sur
Imac 2021
M1
16 gigs of Ram
https://www.infinityespi.com

Zeb Chadfield

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 am

Dreams may have come true
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=149263
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve