New User questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cevisuals

New User questions

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Having just made the switch from Premiere Pro CS6 and Vegas Pro 14 to Resolve, I'm finding the experience of editing fun again.

My work is pretty much cutting short projects and producing audio slideshows so I"m not pushing Resolve to it's true capabilities but the instability of the other 2 apps and lackluster performance is what pushed me to Resolve.

Having said that - My aging Dell Precision M4500 laptop will not run Resolve 14 so I'm using Resolve 12.5 and it seems to run ok as long as I convert my h264 clips to Cineform before I begin my basic editing and minor color grading. At the same time I'm using Resolve 14.3 (Hopefully soon for Resolve 15 official release) on my much more powerful desktop and my primary question is can the project files be handed off from the laptop running Resolve 12.5 to the desktop running Resolve 14? If so, what are the best practices for doing that (Including all project assets in their respective folders/bins)?

I do plan on upgrading the laptop but I rarely edit on the machine so only need something basic for cutting and color grading.

TIA,

Cliff Etzel
Cliff Etzel
Pushing the envelope exploring the use of mobile devices for still and video storytelling.
www.cevisuals.com

Hector Berrebi

Re: New User questions

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:57 am

cevisuals wrote: my primary question is can the project files be handed off from the laptop running Resolve 12.5 to the desktop running Resolve 14? If so, what are the best practices for doing that (Including all project assets in their respective folders/bins)?

Hey Cliff

Yes, you can do this either by exporting a project file (.drp) and manually transferring your media.
Or, by right clicking your project in Project Manager and select Archive. it will collect all related media in the process. On your V14 desktop system, right click in Project Manager and select Restore (you would do the same but select Import for a .drp file)

For more tweakable solutions, you can also do this in the Media Management window.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

cevisuals

Re: New User questions

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:
cevisuals wrote: my primary question is can the project files be handed off from the laptop running Resolve 12.5 to the desktop running Resolve 14? If so, what are the best practices for doing that (Including all project assets in their respective folders/bins)?

Hey Cliff

Yes, you can do this either by exporting a project file (.drp) and manually transferring your media.
Or, by right clicking your project in Project Manager and select Archive. it will collect all related media in the process. On your V14 desktop system, right click in Project Manager and select Restore (you would do the same but select Import for a .drp file)

For more tweakable solutions, you can also do this in the Media Management window.

Thank you so much!
Cliff Etzel
Pushing the envelope exploring the use of mobile devices for still and video storytelling.
www.cevisuals.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve