Viewer delay can drastically diminish playback performance

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Seth Goldin

Viewer delay can drastically diminish playback performance

PostWed May 02, 2018 9:30 pm

I've noticed that the setting to delay the viewer can have drastic performance implications for playback.

I have a fairly high-powered machine, but when I had set the viewer to delay 12 frames, I couldn't get more than 12 fps. I had previously set the viewer delay earlier when I had been running a somewhat CPU-intensive codec that was producing a drastic delay between the DeckLink output and the GUI viewer.

Then, for some UHD 3840x2160 Canon XF-AVC Intra clips, smooth playback was impossible. This was with 14.3 Studio on Linux. It didn't matter whether I had had "performance mode" enabled or not.

Setting the delay back to 0 made everything snappy again. Perhaps this has already been addressed in 15--but if not, it's something for the BMD team to consider.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve