Text Tool Feature Requests

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Text Tool Feature Requests

PostThu May 03, 2018 3:38 am

* When editing text in the text box over the viewer window, would be great to be able to keyframe attributes such as colors or maybe kerning etc.

* Add ability to underline text.

* When highlighting text in the editor in the viewer, it would be much faster to be able to right clip and be able to bold, underline, italics, etc.

* It would also be amazing to be able to draw a text box (on the video display) and have the text confine itself to that box (similar to how it works in Photoshop when you take the text tool and drag a box shape where you want the text, and the type in the box.) Then the box can be resized and the text automatically wraps itself and conforms itself to the designated box. Right now resizing the box resizes the text itself. Not as helpful.

* Some kind of feature to enhance credits/rolling text would be amazing too but I know there's another thread for that. But the first two items above, alone would take Resolve's text editor from zero to 60! And then leave anything more advanced than these to Fusion.

The text tool as it is right now is kind of clunky and cumbersome. I paste a few sentences and it all comes in as one long line that spans way off the screen. There is no auto-wrap feature so I have to manually hit enter for new lines. Then later if the font size or anything changes I have to go back and re-justify all of the text.

If I want to add highlights like colors I have to add a new text layer with the same text and cross fade it. But if I only want one word to highlight, then I have to delete the rest of the text thats not needed and then manually line up the word so its pixel accurate with the text below and then cross fade it. The next problem I have is not being able to position it just right, the box snaps left or right or to the center of the screen, so I cant even move it where I need it with the mouse. If just this one feature of having the text box auto-wrap the text was implemented that would help a ton!
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Return to DaVinci Resolve