Speed-up beyond 800%

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eidauk

Speed-up beyond 800%

PostThu May 10, 2018 10:13 pm

I've been experimenting with speed ramping lately. However, I often find that I need to speed up the footage more than 800%. Is there an easy way to specify custom playback speed without going into the retime curve and moving speed points around? I know I can go into the Change Clip Speed and set a custom speed, but then I need to cut the clip up if I want to go from fast to slow to fast again. Does anyone have a speed ramping workflow they'd like to share?

Hector Berrebi

Re: Speed-up beyond 800%

PostSat May 12, 2018 10:41 am

eidauk wrote:I've been experimenting with speed ramping lately. However, I often find that I need to speed up the footage more than 800%. Is there an easy way to specify custom playback speed without going into the retime curve and moving speed points around? I know I can go into the Change Clip Speed and set a custom speed, but then I need to cut the clip up if I want to go from fast to slow to fast again. Does anyone have a speed ramping workflow they'd like to share?

You sort of answered your own question :)
I agree the preset speeds in drop menu are a bit limiting. The best alternative, like you wrote, is using curves and keyframes..
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

eidauk

Speed-up beyond 800% - RESOLVED

PostSat May 12, 2018 3:59 pm

I actually did answer my own question after a little more research. I'll post what I found for anyone else wanting to know. You'll notice that after you enable retime controls and add a speed point you get the gray dividers seen below. If you grab the bottom of the divider you can move the speed change point to a different part of the clip, but if you grab the top you can slide it to stretch or compress playback between those dividers! This makes it easy to adjust timing without having to deal with retime curves.

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (110.28 KiB) Viewed 11417 times

A popular speed ramp effect now days is to speed up the beginning of a clip, then slow-mo the middle, then speed up again. The pic above shows how this is done by grabbing the top handles. Note you have to have a third speed point/divider toward the end of the clip. With this technique I was able to easily compress my clip over 3000%!

acasonj

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 am

Hey guys, is it possible to cull the number of frames in a clip? Speeding up to 3000% requires processing at 3000x the rate, even though you're only showing 30 of them, this causes enormous slow-downs in playback?

I imagine in Premier or AE this might be called a pre-comp which you would render back into the main timeline?
Builder / Creator
@JoshFromPerth
B.CompSci Ma. Networking

michael314

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 pm

@eidauk, I right click and select "Generated Optimized Media". This takes a few moments but then the clip plays smoothly.

But I am having a different issue with "Change Clip Speed". I have several clips I sped up to the maximum of 800% via Retime Controls and now reading this I see I can go to "Change Clip Speed" where I change them to 3200%. The first clip seemed to work fine (I just eyeballed it), but the second and third clips do not.

First of all it says the original duration is 00:00:09:145 at 800%. If I measure it in the timeline it's actually only 00:00:08:21. When I change 800% to 3200% it says the new duration will be 00:00:02:385 which seems like slightly more than 25% but I'm not sure what "385" means... my project is at 30fps so I assume 385 is out of 960fps which it says the new timing will be at. 2 + 385/960=2.401s but 8+21/30 = 8.7 and divide this by 4 yields 2.175 which is 0.226s or almost 7 frames LESS.

But when I actually click "Change", I don't get anything *near* 2.2 or even 2.4 seconds. The new clip is 7.7s long which is 89% of the original, not 25%. If I change it to 1600% it doesn't even change length at all. If I change it to 8000% it changes it to 3.07s which is 35% not 10%. I'm sure I could fiddle with it and waste a lot of time trying to get the speed to be pretty close to my other clips, but why?

I have tried another clip and it does the same thing. Why can't I get it to change the speed properly after the first clip?

Jacek Kropinski

Re: Speed-up beyond 800% - RESOLVED

PostTue Jun 04, 2024 6:46 pm

eidauk wrote:I actually did answer my own question after a little more research. I'll post what I found for anyone else wanting to know.

Thank you, thank you! @eidauk
I spent an age yesterday trying to figure this out. I knew those handles had to do something.

Return to DaVinci Resolve