Render cache is not retained and re rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Audioman

Re: Render cache is not retained and re rendering

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 11:00 am

Ok found the problem.

It behaves that way ONLY with projects created with V16 and imported into v17.

Being an error in the database (probable during import), replacing a row manually can solve the problem.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 4:51 am

diaghilev wrote:FWIW, this issue also returned for me. It hasn't been an issue for the past several versions of Resolve (cache renders have remained rock solid btw. open/close of files.)

My current project is a good test bc its cache has been rock solid – until now, as a minority of the previously rendered cache resets to red every time I reopen Resolve.

The clips that require cache to be re-rendered seem random: it's not exclusive to the project's GH5, DJI or BRAW clips. It's the same clips that need re-rendering tho.

Troubleshooting info. I went into each clip and manually set Node Render Cache to "On" for most nodes. I also copied and pasted the timeline contents to a new timeline. I let it all re-render (cache) and saved, closed, reopened. Same clips needed cache to re-render upon reopening.

My most recent troubleshooting effort, now: I deleted all Render Cache and changed Render Cache type (in Project Settings) from DNxHR HQ-X to DNxHR HQ. Rendering now.

I'm using the latest BETA version of Resolve on a Windows 10 machine (updated) with most recent version of GeForce driver – 128GB RAM, RTX 3090, Intel 7820-X.

can yo uupload a project (without media) for us?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

diaghilev

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
diaghilev wrote:FWIW, this issue also returned for me. It hasn't been an issue for the past several versions of Resolve (cache renders have remained rock solid btw. open/close of files.)

My current project is a good test bc its cache has been rock solid – until now, as a minority of the previously rendered cache resets to red every time I reopen Resolve.

The clips that require cache to be re-rendered seem random: it's not exclusive to the project's GH5, DJI or BRAW clips. It's the same clips that need re-rendering tho.

Troubleshooting info. I went into each clip and manually set Node Render Cache to "On" for most nodes. I also copied and pasted the timeline contents to a new timeline. I let it all re-render (cache) and saved, closed, reopened. Same clips needed cache to re-render upon reopening.

My most recent troubleshooting effort, now: I deleted all Render Cache and changed Render Cache type (in Project Settings) from DNxHR HQ-X to DNxHR HQ. Rendering now.

I'm using the latest BETA version of Resolve on a Windows 10 machine (updated) with most recent version of GeForce driver – 128GB RAM, RTX 3090, Intel 7820-X.

can yo uupload a project (without media) for us?

For sure, do you mean a .drp or .xml export (w/o media)?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 7:09 pm

.DRP
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

RyanZylo

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 11:51 am

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help with the following related issue as just cannot figure it out...

I have the same problem of timeline renders not being retained, but for me they aren't retained between playbacks! I don't even have to close the program to lose them!

They'll render, the red line will turn blue. I play the clips back and as soon as the playback starts... boom! The line above the clip turns red again and everything slows down. Sometimes it'll let me play the clip back once or twice smoothly before doing this but inevitably it always pops back to red. For some reason the renders aren't retained.

I can see that the renders are being saved on my scratch drive as the data size of the cache fluctuates up and down. I'm using the latest version of resolve (updated to 17.1 today hoping that would help but no luck).

Please help!
Beginner videographer / Hobbyist
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0wXn_Jovvrlp-A1Fopxsg

Andrew Findlay

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Resolve Studio 17.1 - I'm having problems with the rendered cache files not linking when plugging the same drive (or a clone) into another computer (both Mac, same OS). The exported project knows that the cache folder is on the drive (inside the media rushes folder), it links instantly to the media rushes clips but fails to link to the cache renders. This means that I have to re-render the cache files before I can play the timeline.

If I measure the size of the cache folder before and after re-rendering all the files I can see it virtually doubles the size (so it clearly knows where the cache folder is and where to render to). So there are now two sets of render files in the same cache folder. If I now plug the media drive back into the first computer and open up the project just saved on the second computer, guess what... the media files are all linked present and correct BUT the cache files are all off-line! I need to re-render everything again.

I would would say it's a major bug that need fixing. I can't think of another NLE that suffers from this problem. It is a major hindrance to migrating my professional workflow to DaVinci, as I often swap work places.

IO Sam

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 8:28 pm

Audioman wrote:Ok found the problem.

It behaves that way ONLY with projects created with V16 and imported into v17.

Being an error in the database (probable during import), replacing a row manually can solve the problem.

I can confirm this to be my case too (all fusion compositions copied from a previous project in V16 and imported to a new project in V17 has this non-saving-cache problem).

Could you please elaborate on the "replacing a row manually" on the database to fix the problem?

Robin Doelly

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 pm

I have to chime in with a similar issue. I have a short timeline with clips running at different speeds that need to render - they render and playback is good but if I stop over a clip ..it goes unrendered and all the clips have to render again, how nuts is that? Even locking the video track doesn't help the issue. I tried reboots but it seems a solid fault Software is Davinci Studio V17.1 on PC

Ok I have done some checking - I removed all the cache, I replaced the software, did restarts and the issue persists, but so far I only see it happening on retimed clips (here I have just used the basic speed change in the clip inspector) I have tried different render settings but the issue persists

narnodel

PostFri May 14, 2021 1:33 pm

I've had the same issue, I noticed it after the 17.2 update.
The project was created on the 17.1 version, and every time I closed/opened my project, the render caches were lost.
I found an easy way to solve that : I "saved as" my project with a new name, so the project is now created with the 17.2 version, and everything works fine, my blue bars stay blue after re-launching Resolve !

I think the problem is solved with the 17.2 version, as long as the projects are created with this version.

Roadtrippingnomad

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 6:00 pm

I have the same issue with Davinci Resolve Studio 18 overhere. What I notice is that as I switched to a different (better) laptop this issue occurs on the new one and not at the old one. I also tried to save it as a new project and also moved the cache location to a different folder but without any effect unfortunately.

My old laptop was:

MSI GT63 8SG-013NL Titan
RAM: 32 GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM)
Storage: 512 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

New laptop:
HP ZBook Studio G9
RAM: 32 GB
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900H
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 ti (16 GB VRAM)
Storage: 2TB SSD

patriciogomez88

PostWed Jul 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Having the same problem over here.

I'm rendering all the cache in a HD and an Ultra HD timeline with 4k Sony a7s3 footage and when I reopen the Davinci 18.1 I have to render it all over again.

I'm using a MaBook Pro 16 M1 16RAM

patriciogomez88

PostWed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 pm

Ok, I found the solution.

I found out that the Cache Destination Folder haven't had a destination, so I've only assign one folder into the Davinci Folders and that solve it. Even the render got much faster.

Hope it helps you!
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve