Shortcut for switching between timelines?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SamBroggs

Shortcut for switching between timelines?

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:59 am

Hi!
I am new, but I hope, someone wants to help. :)
The new stacked Timelines in Resolve are great! :)
At the moment I use them a lot, because I logged my footage with timeline-markers.
As the source windows isnt able to show timeline markers,
I use the two timelines to edit the marked footage in a new timeline.
I open my logged timeline and copy the parts with markers to the new timeline.
Unfortunately, I always have to use the mouse to switch from one timeline to another.
Is there any shortcut, to highlight the second timeline, so i can work only with the keyboard?
In premiere I could just push the shortcut to "highlight the timeline window" multiple times,
and I could switch timelines.
But this doesnt work in Resolve..
mbp late 2012, 16gb ram, 2,6ghz, geforce GT650M, davinci resolve 15

Len1979

Re: Shortcut for switching between timelines?

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi Sam,
I totally feel you !!! Can you please tell me, meanwhile you found a shortcut, or at least a work around ?
I'd be sooooo happy. Using the mouse on this is at least eating up an hour of my editing session...
Many thanks in advance
Kind regards from Hamburg
Lennart

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 2:42 am

There are control surfaces (including one from Tangent and two from Blackmagic) that will allow you to switch timelines, whether in the Edit page or in the Color page. I don't know of a keyboard command to do it.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

DanorG1

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 5:19 pm

OUCH! You have to buy a control panel? I'm currently editing a feature in DR and it would be really nice to have this as a keyboard shortcut that could be created. All of my dailies are synced in timelines per day of shooting. I tried dropping all of the takes for a scene into the film edit/timeline but it has proven to be too slow and difficult to scroll back and forth constantly resizing the timeline to move clips around in the same linear space. A keyboard shortcut to jump between timelines would be much more ideal from an editing task managment POV. This feature saves a ton of time in Adobe After Effects. This is a pretty rudimentary feature to have in a high end video editing application. Buying a control panel seems like an extreme solution for such a bread and butter editing function. I hope they are listening and will add this in the next update. Kind of a no brainer.

On Mac [ Command + 4] goes to the timeline panel if you're in stacked timelines then here are some suggestions for toggling. [Command + ALT/Option +4] Toggles to the left timeline one at a time [Command + CTRL/Control +4] Toggles to the right one timeline at a time.

Since the left hand is typing the 4 the ALT and CTRL keys on the right side can dictate toggling left or tight between multiple timelines.

Any version of this would be a great feature to add and would seriously speed up workflow in complex projects with multiple timelines such as feature film work.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1658341/
iMac Pro 10 Core
Writer, Director, Actor
First Feature Film out in 2022 - "Grandpa's Crazy?"
Shot on Ursa Mini Pro G1 & PCC 4k & 6k
Edited in Davinci Resolve Studio 16 & 17

olivier ferrand

PostWed May 05, 2021 1:29 am

almost 7 months since the last post...any news regarding that wishful command key :?:

atmosfar

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Yes, how about Ctrl-Tab as you would find in a browser.

madagascarmultimedia

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 am

Hello Blackmagic?

+1 for shortcut to switch Timelines

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 pm

DanorG1 wrote:OUCH! You have to buy a control panel? I'm currently editing a feature in DR and it would be really nice to have this as a keyboard shortcut that could be created.

You know, I haven't checked to see if this is a feature on the Resolve Editing Keyboard or not. It'd be a good feature to have, I agree.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TCP786

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:19 pm

...there might be something I don't understand, but if a control panel can do it, then the software already has a function for it, so there should be no reason this can't be mapped to a normal keyboard shortcut, right?

JakubNovak

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 2:32 pm

+1 On this as I would really appreciate to edit in stacked timelines as I am used to it from other programs.

Overall I'd appreciate shortcuts to select ALL the panels to be able to create my own macros in an easier way.

Andy Mees

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 3:31 pm

This function exists but is not mapped by default... go to Keyboard Customization window and assign shortcuts for Edit Timeline > Next Tab and Previous Tab. The function cycle's through all open timeline tabs including those in different stacks.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

msamtesto

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 5:10 pm

THANK YOU! That works!

Anyone know a shortcut to duplicate a timeline??

AnthonySneed

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 10:01 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:There are control surfaces (including one from Tangent and two from Blackmagic) that will allow you to switch timelines, whether in the Edit page or in the Color page. I don't know of a keyboard command to do it.

I have the micro panel, does this work on that? I checked the two more expensive versions and don't see a button specifically for this.
anthonysneed.film

Return to DaVinci Resolve