Inconsistent Color Space?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Craig Allan

Inconsistent Color Space?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:21 am

Hi

Firstly apologies if I have labelled this incorrectly. I think I am having an issue with input color space and am struggling to come to a reasonable understanding - let alone a solution. Would really appreciate some feedback asap.

Have edited multiple timelines and have exported them all as ProRes clips. Each of these clips have then been brought into a new timeline and then reported as a single clip. (In case your wondering why - all timelines are essentially different 'programs' and the final delivery is essentially a collage). The visible problem is how the shadows are being handled. There may be other color space issues (other than shadow handling) but these are not immediately visible.

IF the original timeline (unedited clips) is exported into a H.264 clip, the deep shadows are fine (detail in the shadows is all OK). If this ORIGINAL timeline is exported as a ProRes file (even ProRes HQ) and then brought into a NEW timeline and re exported as a H.264 file, all of the deep shadows are squashed to black. As you would then predict the final result comparing both as a H.264 file - one has shadow detail and the other does not. I can not make sense of this.

In all cases, in Advanced Settings (in delivery tab) I have selected Full data levels and have also selected to retain sub black and super white. Maybe the issue is in the Colour Handling of the new timeline (in Project Settings). If so I have not been successful in coming up with the right combination of settings.

I would have thought that an export to ProRes (lossless codec) and then re-export in H.264 would yield EXACTLY the same result. Obviously not. I just need to know why not and therefore hopefully a solution . . .

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Craig

Marc Wielage

Re: Inconsistent Color Space?

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm

What happens if you export with Video Data Levels?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

whitehairproductions

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Did you ever confirm a resolution to this? I am working on migrating from Premiere and I find I have this issue in both Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. All deep shadows in a ProRes exports are squashed to black. This is the case in every video I export in ProRes, however when exporting in H.264, the image is perfect. There are other color issues with my ProRes exports, but the shadows are a glaring issue.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm

Try using DNx in the MXF container, Kenny.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve