Free copy of Resolve with camera purchase

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MrHotter

Free copy of Resolve with camera purchase

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Hello there.

I'm probably going to be buying Davinchi Resolve Studio before I get a Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. Since the free Studio version that comes with a Blackmagic camera is linked to the camera serial number, that will probably be the version of Studio I would want to keep once I get the camera.

What are camera owners with multiple copies of Resolve Studio doing with them? Should I get a dongle version to use till I get a camera and then sell/gift the dongle when I get the version linked to my camera? Should I just keep the extra copy in case I want to install Resolve Studio on multiple machines in the future?

I love the idea of getting the software I want with the camera purchase, but I doubt there will be any reduction in price if I already own a copy of Studio Resolve.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Uli Plank

Re: Free copy of Resolve with camera purchase

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Folks like you usually sell the dongle.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mike Manus

Re: Free copy of Resolve with camera purchase

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Buy fusion studio instead. Right now a fusion studio license will also run resolve studio. Then when you get your camera license, you'll havw both, even if they change their policy.

Return to DaVinci Resolve