Fairlight VST vs AU

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Halper

Fairlight VST vs AU

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 pm

I have a bunch of Wave, Izotope, and other plugins and they all have both VST and AU versions. Which is better to use for Resolve/Fairlight?
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight VST vs AU

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:51 am

Repost: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75971#p420696

It depends.

Many developers have indicated that the VST format is generally preferred, as the AU format is more complex than the VST format.

Some developers, then, simply wrap their VST to create the AU version using a tool like Symbiosis, or the JUCE framework.

On the Resolve machines here, both formats are installed, with the VST version always tested first.
If there are issues with the VST within Resolve, only the AU will be retained.

Only a handful of AU plugins are installed for Resolve compatibility reasons (TC Electronic, Sonic Studio, McDSP), functionality differences (McDSP) or if a developer only supports the AU format (i.e. no VST available - WholeGrain Digital and Sonic Studio), or if a VST 2.4 version isn’t available (i.e. only a VST3 version is included - such as RTW plugins).

If Resolve ever supports VST3, it’s worth keeping in mind that some developers have functionality differences between the VST3 and the AU versions. Such as the Exponential Audio's Stratus 3D and Symphony 3D plugins only support the Atmos and NHK channel configurations in VST3 format, and not in the AU or the VST2.4 versions (although I have been requesting AU support).

If you’re sharing Projects with Windows users, then it’s best to only use the VST format for better assurances of cross platform compatibility (short of only using Fairlight AFX).

Byron Dickens

Re: Fairlight VST vs AU

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am

AU are MAC only.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Return to DaVinci Resolve