1080P 60fps HDR, help needed to reduce huge size

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rombbb

1080P 60fps HDR, help needed to reduce huge size

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 am

Hello editors,

I've captured 1080p60 HDR footage, resulting in 14,5 Mb for 1:12 minutes.

When importing in Resolve to add HDR metadata for Youtube and a watermark the output file becomes around 700 Mb. For a bit over a minute of video that seems crazy high, 35 Gb per hour.

Previously an hour of 1080p60 Non-HDR video was around 7-10 Gb. I did't think that HDR alone would do size x5 right ?

Besides Nvidia HEVC10 codes (H.265 according to Resolve) at 15Mbs am not sure what the exact HDR Output specs from the capture card are (file size does seem suspiciously small), but Resolve is set to Rec.2020 ST2084 1000 nit for Timeline/Input/Output color space, 1080p60, with DNxHR LB (Low Bandwith) codec in Quicktime format.

I've tried a lot of other settings but no success in getting the size down.

3 questions :

Is the capture file not way to small ?
I like it, but it's only 725 Mb for an hour, much smaller that previous non-HDR recordings. The Avermedia Live Gamer 4K does indicate it's capturing HDR at specified settings, but this video is immediately watchable in Win Mediaplayer, while the HDR video converted in Resolve is not (because of missing codecs ?) and only playable in VLC or Pot player. Makes me wonder whether the capture file is HDR at all. Does look pretty good and vivid, but really can't tell small test file for sure on HDR or non-HDR by eye.

Any way to severely reduce output from Resolve ?

If 2 is not possible any recommendations on other good HDR video editors ?
Tried Cyberlink 15, their H.265 option somehow results in a washed out vid, so didn't get HDR working with it.

Thank you so much !

Really putting my horses on this forum. Tried searching online but very hard to find relevant info between all the HDR tv and capture card sale offers.

Return to DaVinci Resolve