Restore Project from Backup Files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Restore Project from Backup Files

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

szimmer100

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Normally, you access the project backups by right clicking on the project in the Project Manager page, and selecting Project Backups.

There is no direct way to tell what the project backup files themselves go with, since they are normally tracked in the database.

If you think you know which of the backup files you found have the project you want, then this is how you can access it:

Since you mention using Recuvea, I'll assume you are on a Windows system.

Your default Disk database location is C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects

In a File Explorer window, go to this path:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects

In the Projects folder, create a new folder with a name that doesn't already exist in the folder. Lets call it test, but you can use any name you want.

In the test folder, copy your backup file. Lets say its the Project.db.20180827110106 file.

Once you've copied Project.db.20180827110106 into the test folder, eliminate the time/date info at the end. So that is looks like this:

Project.db

Now in Resolve, right click in the Project Manager window and select Refresh. You should now see a test project in the list. And you should be able to load it normally.

Hello Dwaine,

I have DR 17 Beta 9 installed.

I am trying to recover a project db file. I can't find this path:
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects

At the support folder, the Resolve Disk Database folder does not exist. Any ideas why?

Thanks for your time.

Simon

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 9:35 pm

That's because starting with Resolve 16, we use a new location.

The location you mention will only exist if someone had a version earlier than Resolve 16 installed. In that case, we continue to use the original location (the one you are asking about).

Your projects should likely be here:

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects

Where XXXX is your Windows User name.
Dwaine Maggart

szimmer100

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Hello,

Yes, you are correct. That worked and I was able to recover the project.

Thank you so much!

Simon

GTOResolve

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Hello everybody,

Before i start my project from the beginning, I would try to ask you if my Project.db file is corrupted.

Unfortunately, I had to unistall Resolve 17 and install Resolve 16 because of a GPU problem...
By the way I losted my last project. I find it in the database but I am not able to open it/restore it...

Here is the link of the Project.db file : https://we.tl/t-B06U3FbEQo

Thanks a lot if someone can help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Your project is OK. It's been converted to Resolve 17 format, so will only work in Resolve 17 at this point.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Once I know that, I can tell you what to do with the Project.db file to make it visible in the Project Manager.

I would make a Project Export .drp for you, but the project has stills, and if I do that, the stills will be lost.

Better I tell you how to make the Project.db file work. But I need to know Mac or Windows before I can do that.
Dwaine Maggart

GTOResolve

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 5:42 am

Hello Dwaine,

Thanks a lot. I'm on windows 10.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Open Resolve, and on the Project Manager page, with the Database area exposed, click the Information icon at the top of the database area (the i in a circle).

In the Location area of the database, right click and select Open File Location

You should see a Resolve Projects folder. Open that, then Users, then guest, then Projects.

In the Projects folder, make a new folder with whatever name you want the project to have.

Then copy your Project.db file into that folder.

Back in the Resolve Project Manager, right click in the Projects area, and select Refresh. Your project should appear.
Dwaine Maggart

GTOResolve

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks Dwaine,

Unfortunately it doesn't works.

Nothing appears on the Project Manager window after refreshing...

If I add ".db" on the Project file, the folder appears but nothing is inside

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 10:04 pm

Then you are not doing something correctly. And unfortunately, your images did not come through. Can you try sending those again? Maybe as attachments?
Dwaine Maggart

GTOResolve

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 5:20 am

Sorry, here are the files attached

Case 1.jpg
Case 1.jpg (573.46 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

Case 2.jpg
Case 2.jpg (509.27 KiB) Viewed 4137 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 am

Case 1 won't work. The file in the project folder HAS to be called Project.db

Case 2 has that, but the Project Manager thumbnail looks like a project folder instead of a project. Not sure why that would be. But I suspect some issue with the Project.db file.

Here is a similar screen shot from my system. I used the project name that was in the project file (but I added copy to the end). This is what it should look like. Send me a similar screen shot that shows the Project.db file Properties with the Detail tab selected.

project_db_folder_1.png
project_db_folder_1.png (217.6 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
Dwaine Maggart

GTOResolve

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks Dwaine, I finally solved it ;)

Janis Lionel

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Hello Dwain!

I would really appreciate your help in the following case: Laptop got destroyed by water and Time Machine apparently didn't catch one week of work :-( Though, I had the Project Backup Files in the cloud. By date I could specify the needed folder. I was still on Resolve 16. I uploaded two files here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Here would be the whole Database without that weeks work:

Could you link it to the database or export it as a project file? That would be amazing! I tried myself but it didn't work.

Thank you for your help!!
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Here's a project export drp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8w18z1rupl4z ... 9.drp?dl=0

Both those files were of the same project, and appear to be the same.

You can make the Project Backup files like this work by changing the name to Project.db and then putting that Project.db file in a folder with the name of the project.

Then put that folder in your Disk db Users/guest/Projects folder. If Resolve is open, right click in the Project Manager page and select Refresh. The project should appear, IF the Project.db file is in working condition.

You can find your Disk db location on disk by right clicking the database name in the Project Manager database area, and selecting Reveal in Finder (Mac) or Open File Location (Windows/Linux). That should show a Resolve Projects folder. Then drill down to User/guest/Projects to see the project folders.
Dwaine Maggart

Janis Lionel

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 am

Dear Dwaine! A Big thank you!! If you have a tip jar or something similar - please let me know. I tried the described procedure. But when I did that Resolve didn't open anymore...maybe because I had the wrong version of Resolve?
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 7:41 am

But the drp worked for you, yes?

It's a Resolve 16 project, so assuming you had Resolve 16 installed when you tried the process, it should have worked. Even if you had 17 installed, it would have updated the project, so not sure why the process failed for you.
Dwaine Maggart

tessamarianne

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 am

Hi there @Dwaine. I'm hoping you may be able to check if my .db file is corrupt as well. Thank you sincerely for your time,

Tessa

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ksUxr ... sp=sharing

Fotoshootprod

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 pm

I've been following these post since I have been in a pretty weird situation. I have been working on a very important project to deliver in 3 days. I started working on it yesterday. My workstation is an iMac late 2017, 5K, 2TB fusion disk, 2 SSD for video, 4.2 Ghz, 32 RAM, 8GB Graphic RAM.
I worked all night on the project. I make regular saves in addition to the automated saving. Actually, it's an habit to always press command S after doing a couple of changes. Tonight, I had already mounted the video and was currently doing color correction and grading when suddenly, the screen went all RED and Davinci crashed. When i entered back, the project version was the one I was working yesterday. I went into the backup database and saw that the last database was dated yesterday at 18h53. All the work I performed since then up to tonight (More than 12 hours) had not been saved either by automatic save or by manual save. I rolled back through time machine and even launched easeUS recovery to see if other recent versions were not ereased. There are no traces of saves after 18h53 last night.
What happened and how to prevent such issue?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jean Jacques Fabien

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 pm

Regular saves and Live Saves don't help you if something happens to the disk or the database or the project in the database.

Did you have Project Backups enabled? If so, you should be able to right click the project in the Project Manager page, and select Project Backups and recover one of the multiple backups that should be there (depending on what backup frequency you have selected).

If you didn't have Project Backups enabled, and you aren't making Project Export .drps at the end of each day of working on long term important projects, then your data is lost.
Dwaine Maggart

Fotoshootprod

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 6:32 am

Dear Dwaine,

Thank you for your reply. Project backup is enabled and and backup every 10 mns. The project kept backing up from the creation of the project at around 1pm until 7pm. I don't know why it stopped automatic back up from then. I also did regular saves by hitting command S as I usually do regularly. I did not export a drps file since I worked all night on it.
I had to start again since I need to deliver tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your advices.

Jean Jacques Fabien

Dylan1225

PostSat Dec 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Hi Dwaine.

So recently you helped me with opening Resolve, and it worked. But a while back, I was panicking and I happened to reinstall it. Now my projects aren't there anymore. I have project files saved on my computer. Is there a way to transfer them into my current Resolve?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 5:32 am

What type of project files are stored on your computer?
Dwaine Maggart

autisM

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 8:28 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:What type of project files are stored on your computer?

Hi,Dwaine!
I have the same problem, it seems that my project file is corrupt, but I WILLNOT give up unless I know the project is unrecoverable. PLEASE help me, thanks!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50dex2ufouc1b ... 62717?dl=0
Here is the link to the file.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 12:09 am

The project is unrecoverable. At least from that file, which is totally not an SQL formatted file.
Dwaine Maggart

ia_sha

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:29 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:
Normally, you access the project backups by right clicking on the project in the Project Manager page, and selecting Project Backups.

There is no direct way to tell what the project backup files themselves go with, since they are normally tracked in the database.

If you think you know which of the backup files you found have the project you want, then this is how you can access it:

Since you mention using Recuvea, I'll assume you are on a Windows system.

Your default Disk database location is C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects

In a File Explorer window, go to this path:

In the Projects folder, create a new folder with a name that doesn't already exist in the folder. Lets call it test, but you can use any name you want.

In the test folder, copy your backup file. Lets say its the Project.db.20180827110106 file.

Once you've copied Project.db.20180827110106 into the test folder, eliminate the time/date info at the end. So that is looks like this:

Project.db

Now in Resolve, right click in the Project Manager window and select Refresh. You should now see a test project in the list. And you should be able to load it normally.

Hi, @Dwaine!
I had Davinci 17 installed on my pc but I had to format it and I lost the projects files. I made a backup, but I couldn't find the project files, just the Projects Backups, I followed the instructions above but it didn't work.
I don't know if it's a problem but right now the only version of Davinci avaiable is the 18.
I uploaded the projects (there are 2 files, the first one I deleted the time/date info, and the second one it's in the same way I found on the Backup Folder).
Do you mind checking if the files are corrupted?

The weird thing is: I followed your instructions with another Backup Project and by just deleting the time/date info the icon changed, but still I couldn't load in Davinci 18. With this file I uploaded at Google Drive the icon doesn't even change when I delete the time/date info.
Thanks a lot for any help!!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 pm

Apparently you didn't follow my directions, because I followed my directions and it worked.

Here's a link to your video_pai project .drp in Resolve 18 format. Both the project files you sent seemed to be the same, so I picked one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ileh3p8z18sg0 ... i.drp?dl=0

Yes, they were version 17, but that's OK. You can drop a version 17 Project.db project folder into a version 18 Project Library Projects folder and it will automatically be updated.
Dwaine Maggart

ia_sha

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi, @Dwaine,

I did follow the instructions and it worked with other backup files, but this in particular I couldn't load.
But thank you so much for the help!!

Lgodes

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 1:45 am

Hello,
I updated to davinci 18 normal version, then decided to go back to resolve 17 studio bc it would not read my 8k files I tried to install 18 agai nto recover the projects but nothing appeard. and i lost all the projects can you help me restore the projects here is my google drive folder its iNESSJ COPY

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 7:03 am

Here is a link to a proper Resolve Project Library backup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbsorgtdx38kp ... iskdb?dl=0

This is a Resolve 18 backup. It will only be useful with Resolve 18.

On the Resolve Project Manager page, in the Project Libraries area, select the Restore icon, then select this file.

That will open an Add Project Library window, with Create selected.

In the Name area, enter a name for the Project Library. Any name that does not already exist in the Project Library list.

Then click Browse. Then pick a folder where the Project Library will be stored. A normal location might be your User Documents folder, and then create a New Folder there, and name it with the name of the project library. It can be any name, but if you use the project library name, you'll know what it is. Click Create, then click Open. That should put you back at the Add Project Library window. Click the Create button. You'll get a "Restore Project Library?" window. Click Restore. It will hopefully say Restore Successful and add it to the Project Library list. If you select it, you should see your 4 projects.
Dwaine Maggart

Riclun

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 10:05 pm

Something is definitely amiss with the update to Resolve 18.0.4

I'll talk about my problem soon. My Resolve will only access the Resolve Project Libraries Backups. None of the updated projects come from the numerous Disk Database folders on my Mac.

What do I mean by numerous?

I'm searching for the project file that contains the final timeline edits in one specific project. It was never associated with Resolve when it updated. There is much that was not "found" in the Database(s) when I updated.

I don't have time to get into it today which is unfortunate. I'm chiming in to say I have a real problem just as others here. Regardless of what help files and how to's indicate, all is not working as it should. Details later.

zajoch

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Hi Dwain,

I´ve got some weird situation. I worked on my project, I´ve got turn on automatic save, and after i stopped with work, i press ctrl+s, then i want shut down resolve (18.0.3), but it ask me if I want save project. Pressed yes, but nothing happen, i tried it twice, still nothing, but i have to hurry go, so i klick "dont", becouse i have automatic save and went away. After turn it again on, my project wasnt saved after last work, but some about one, two hours earlier. I tried restore it regular way, there is backup files, one in time when i turned it of, but every file looks the same like one, two hours earlier. Are there some way to repair it, or is it some demaged database, file etc.?

Thanks!
Jan

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 3:52 am

If you recovered the project backup files and they were all missing the info, then there is no other way to recover it.

Toward the end of this thread are some things you can try if this issue happens again:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=108197&p=882493&hilit=won%27t+save#p882493

Using the latest Resolve version could be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart

pedro.o.pio

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 12:35 am

Hi Dwaine!

I'm here to sum with all mortals and ask for a help. Nothing new with what happened to me in comparison with everybody here. Just can't reopen my project after shut it down.

Can you give a help checking my project.db file and let me know if a corrupt file is either my problem with this project?

Do you also teach or recommend any content to learn what to do in cases like this? Thank you for your great support here.

The file is in the link below!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DAJ3ib ... share_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 6:16 pm

Sorry, the Project.db file is corrupt, and I had no success trying to recover it.
Dwaine Maggart

paulrobert

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 9:44 am

Dear Dwaine,
could you check if this project.db is corrupt. I am afraid it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15i5UcF ... sp=sharing

Thank you for your support and best,
Paul

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 4:51 pm

Yes, that file is corrupt and not recoverable.
Dwaine Maggart

Eve Pinkman

PostFri Sep 08, 2023 1:10 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Yes, that file is corrupt and not recoverable.

Hello Dwaine!
Please help me check the project.db file. I’ve been trying for three days to resolve the problem of displaying projects in the Davinci manager. All folders with projects are in the disk database, but it does not want to connect this disk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nyex73 ... sp=sharing

img DR https://wampi.ru/image/RoqGmnn
img file https://wampi.ru/image/RoqGJlc

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 13, 2023 9:10 pm

Your image links are not valid, so I can't see what those are.

The project file appears to be an 18.1.4 project, but it does not appear when you put it in an 18.1.4 project library Projects folder. It does appear and loads, in Resolve 18.5.1.

I'm not sure why that is. It's possible it has some sort of corruption that affects 18.1.4, and that we've dealt with the issue in 18.5.1.
Dwaine Maggart

SebastianCiho

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 5:17 pm

Hey there, Dwaine!

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I`m shooting my last chances here.
Had a drive fail, I have a back for a project, cannot for the love of God open it in any..
I might be doing something wrong.. or the file is corrupt.

Is there any chance you can punch a hole in the dark with this ?
You`re latterly my only chance of making it back on track

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 4:58 pm

Sorry, but the SINTOMA.db file is too corrupt to open or it's not really a Project.db file.

Actual project backup files will be in the form of a Project.db.xxxxx file (where xxxx is a time/date stamp).

The timeline backup file is only helpful if you have the project it came from, with a working timeline.

If you have any Project.db files, or Project.db.xxxxxxx files, then something might be recovered from those.
Dwaine Maggart
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve