Resolve 15 DCP Playback Stops

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Owen Thomas

Resolve 15 DCP Playback Stops

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm

For 18 months I've made and played back feature-length DCPs using the EasyDCP plugin with no problems on Resolve 12.5 (new MAC Pro with G-RAID drives: El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra). And I've played these in cinemas with no issues.
Now, having upgraded to the 15 release, playback stops every 10 minutes or so (occasionally much more frequently). On 12.5 I could playback half resolution without caching. Even with caching on and fully rendered before starting the playback Resolve 15 stops at quarter resolution.
Now I read 15 includes the Kakadu encoder/decoder. Is it just me, or is there a conflict? Is it possible to disable Kakadu (I don't see the preference mentioned in the notes)?
Beyond the playback problem, now I have to be worried there'll be an underlying problem in any 15 encoded DCP which prevents playback in cinemas.

Owen Thomas

Re: Resolve 15 DCP Playback Stops

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 pm

So I can answer my own question - sort of. Yes there is a preference (preferences-system-configuration) to use the EasyDCP decoder instead of the native one. And, as soon as I selected it, unbroken playback was restored.
What still isn't explained is why the Kakadu decoder chokes on a compliant DCP endocded through the EasyDCP plugin??

Return to DaVinci Resolve