Multicam Clip issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MrHotter

Multicam Clip issues

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello, I've seen others having an issue with creating multicamera clips going back several versions. I keep hoping that it's a bug that will be fixed, but it may not be affecting enough people to need fixing.

Has anyone that used to have issues creating multicam been able to find a fix or figure out what they may have been doing wrong?

From past reports, it seems that people with issues have been able to get the same clips to synch up with PluralEyes or Premiere, so this should be fixable (or trainable if it's just user error). One thing that was interesting is that I found a couple of videos online where the person demonstrating the multicam function did not have their clips lining up.

Here's what I've tried so far:

My footage (all recording audio):
Sony AX700 (one 2 hour file)
Canon G20 (Continuous record, but split into 7 clips (AVCHD))
Sony A6500 (recording small clips on and off)
Tascam DR-10 audio recorder (continuous record split into 7 clips)

What I do in Resolve:
1. Select all the clips from the same camera and updating the metadata to include Angle Number and Camera #
2. Select all the footage and create a new Multicam Clip. Settings: Angle: Sync to sound, check 'Detect clips from the same camera', and detect using: Metadata - Camera #.

My results:
All of my short record time footage (a6500) is just back to back in the front of the timeline and nothing else is synched up. I can understand the shorter clips having issues syncing with audio, but my long clips are also not matching up.

It may just be that the software is meant for more professional style gear with timecode, or perhaps I'm just not doing something correctly.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Jim Simon

Re: Multicam Clip issues

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 pm

I have found I get better results when including only camera media in multicam creation, manually adding and syncing audio files underneath the multicam clip in the timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve