Feature Request : Make the smart cache a little smarter

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Fizgal

Feature Request : Make the smart cache a little smarter

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 am

The way it is now : I have a timeline wich is completely cached (blue line on top).
I just dragged (not dropped), only dragged a clip over the timeline.. did not drop the clip into the timeline, and then changed my mind and dropped the clip back into the bin.... and the timeline turns red from where the clip hovered over the timeline.

Nothing changed at all... why does my timeline start to cache again ?

fwiw, there is one thing a bit special in my timeline, and that is that I have a video track on top that has a logo overlay, spanning the entire timeline. But even so, when nothing changes in the timeline, I don't see the need to re-cache.
Or am I doing something wrong ?
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

Peter Fizgal

Re: Feature Request : Make the smart cache a little smarter

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

I have a hard time believing that I am the only person that has problems with the cache...

At the moment I am editing in a very simple timeline, I need to insert some clips in the middle (ripple) and every clip after the edit needs to be cached again :cry: ... even though nothing at all has changed on these clips.

Why-oh-why does the cache not know that all these clips are unchanged ?

Why does Resolve start caching again. This is really really annoying and a real productivity killer.

I've heard countless times that Resolve is more demanding than any other software, and I understand that it is a very capable piece of software, but caching unchanged clips is just dumb.

If anybody at Blackmagic can be bothered to read this, could you please take a look at the cache system and make some improvements to it.

Please ?

Daz Wood

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I am not using the studio version so I am not sure if that would be any different or not but I too feel that the cache could be improved to be more efficient. I have experience the same behaviour as you have described and find it quite annoying too. One thing that is unbelievable is that everytime I open a project the project will re-cache as if it has never been cashed before. I am planning to update my system at some point and as money is tight I would much prefer to buy DaVinci Resolve first and upgrade later but with the way the cache is working I feel I will need a faster CPU first.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Peter Fizgal

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you Daz.. for confirming that I am not the only one with these issues.
Let's hope Blackmagic will optimize a little more, and add a little less new features.

Return to DaVinci Resolve