Audio fades not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

Re: Audio fades not working

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:41 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Guys, thanks for reporting you have an issue but please, try to include details such that we might be able to repo. Clearly millions of users are not seeing this so repo is not easy and so to start, let's see the system detail, OS, are you on 17.4.2?
Which audio setting do you have in preferences, which audio card, driver etc.

there are quire a few code updates in v17.2 and 17.3 and 17.4 for fades and if you are still seeing fade issues we need to obviously have a lot more detail to try to repo.

Millions of users could overlook the issue as it can easily sneak into a final export, or simply don't want to put any effort into reporting it for whatever reason, or are just not that "professional" to really care. But that doesn't mean the issue is not there. It's not a coincidence that there are so many users reporting it for so many years now.

I'm currently on a mac studio m1 ultra, resolve 18.1, and saw happening yesterday. But a few months ago i was on a PC with an intel processor, nvidia GPU, and a year before that i was on a imac intel. A year before that i was on a AMD pc. My colleagues at the office are working on other systems, and all the systems had this issue once in a while. But that's the thing, it happens only sometimes, and the moment it happens there is just no time to complain or report, it's all hands on deck to deliver quality. Yesterday i was lucky i had just one fade in a 10 sec commercial, but this can (and has) really ruin projects for me. This is a very weird, big problem IMO.

I think repo is not easy because we don't really know how to reproduce it. But from my experience, the longer i work on a project, the chances increase for this to happen. My only guess is that it happens after editing/rolling cuts with these fades, but not all the time. which is weird. I wish i was able to be more specific about how this happens but it seems to be a mystery. And i can understand why that is annoying for the dev team with no further information.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Jan 03, 2023 3:00 pm

Happened today a few times, 18.1.2. mac studio M1 ultra. Here's another log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xzxJIq ... sp=sharing

darnsworth

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 am

Just had this issue a bunch of times all at once.

All the fades I had issues with were on the same stereo track, which happens to be a music track and has a mixture of different fade types (handles, audio transition, volume automation keyframes). This is usually the case since I most often times use all these fades to duck the volume of the music track around the voice tracks, thus there's more occurrences and likelihood I'll see this issue with them not playing back correctly.

In this case, as an experiment I changed nothing and just restarted Resolve, and all the fades I was having trouble with play just fine the way they're supposed to now.. so I have no idea what that means but I'm just trying to provide as many data points as I can here.
Resolve Studio, Win11, Intel i9-12900k, 32GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 3090, DeckLink Mini Monitor, Universal Audio Apollo 8,

steevesm

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 pm

This is an incredibly frustrating issue that I have yet to find a work around for....
I'm on Resolve 17.3.1.. and its sad to see people on 18 with the same problems persisting.

It does not matter what I do, but the transitions between clips with VST plugins on them do not work and a click/pop is heard. And this is not for all clips, so there is no rhyme or reason.

I love resolve, but for crying out loud, please fix the problems that have existed for the last 5 years before adding new marketable features. Its these kind of issues that take all the fun out of editing, as here I am wasting my time writing a message on a forum instead working.

steevesm

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:01 pm

I just found a work around, creating a compound clip of the audio tracks with the fades seems to work without clicks or pops.

It does take a few seconds each time you create or load the compound clip, especially if you're joining several clips, but it atleast it works... So I imagine it has to do something with the Resolve engine not being able to keep up with the audio processing in real time.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else. Cheers!

Firehouse Creative

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 6:44 pm

Finally captured it in the wild just now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkt8b82c29skz ... M.mov?dl=0

You see me hop around while it's not honoring the fade I have, which was working minutes prior and I changed nothing. Sometimes, rolling the edit or transition clears the bug, sometimes, as in here, it's dragging the fade handle of the clip. But before I started screen recording, neither worked for over a minute.

Impossible to reproduce and never the same solution twice. Also often persists after render cache deletion.
---
Wes Langdon
Instagram: @supervibrant

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

darnsworth

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 10:28 pm

This isn't the only time I see this issue, but this arrangement (see attached image) just caused me issues. Currently on 18.1.4, but this has been happening at least since R16.

I tend to do weird stuff like this often, basically so I can automate levels without having to use keyframes or actual automation. I placed a cut on the audio clip I was working on, then dropped the level by -12db to duck some dialog. To smooth it out I applied a crossfade audio transition since it's quick and easy to apply with a shortcut key, then I want the audio to trail off smoothly under the dialog track so I pulled in the right fade handle and added a logarithmic curve to it.

When I pressed play to check my work it failed to play the crossfade at all, instead electing to jump from 0 to -12 of clip gain which you can imagine is not what I was going for. I adjusted the length of the crossfade longer, then back to the length I originally wanted, and now it plays fine.

I wouldn't keep complaining about this if it was this simple, but what happens is other fades/crossfades do this at times and I won't catch it until proofing the file after export, which means I have to reopen the project, fix the stupid fades, and then painstakingly check the rest before exporting once again.

I've been dealing with this long enough it's become part of my workflow to just check all my fades right before export, but it would sure be nice if that wasn't necessary.

Super frustrating.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-29 161236.png
Fade arrangement
Screenshot 2023-04-29 161236.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Resolve Studio, Win11, Intel i9-12900k, 32GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 3090, DeckLink Mini Monitor, Universal Audio Apollo 8,
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve