resolve 15.1 braw output ... where?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

resolve 15.1 braw output ... where?

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 am

i hear Grant that told in video presentation of Braw that we can output in raw the export of resolve.
i would like to know where, i not found braw voice on delivery.
i think, i hope i can load other raw data and convert in braw. i understand that half of process of braw should be in camera and half in codec, but on computer i have time to attend full raw demosaic conversion, and... later have all benefit of new raw codec, which is what every old CineformRaw user is orphan and hope to have again.
some one tell me more about output braw from resolve, i do a fast search on 15.1 pdf manual but i not found.

roger.magnusson

Re: resolve 15.1 braw output ... where?

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 am

You can't render to Blackmagic Raw. Grant meant you can use Media Management to trim clips and only keep what's needed for the project.

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 10:30 am

So, just like Red R3D in this respect.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 11:25 am

Yes, as BMRAW export is about pointless in other cases.

BMRAW can be useful is some 3rd party converter where you can convert other RAW format into eg. DNG RAW into BMRAW. Otherwise anything else than trimming make no sense. You would never want to export final Resolve project to BMRAW.

It's format to store RAW sensor data, not final video.

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 pm

At 24:43 in the release video Grant clearly states it can be rendered out. He goes into some detail. it does not appear he is just misspeaking about how you can trim videos.

Prores and DNxHR are also not for use as final video yet you are still able to render these.

I also can not find how to do this from the render page.

John Paines

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:27 pm

I think you're misreading him. That segment concerns project consolidation and hand-off of footage to another facility.

Using Media Management, you can currently copy/move and consolidate braw files -- and the output is braw. The same is not available through Delivery, for reasons given above.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Earl Green wrote:At 24:43 in the release video Grant clearly states it can be rendered out. He goes into some detail. it does not appear he is just misspeaking about how you can trim videos.

Prores and DNxHR are also not for use as final video yet you are still able to render these.

I also can not find how to do this from the render page.

Don't believe so much what Grant is saying :D

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 1:59 pm

I don't think the OP or myself are thinking of BRAW as a final viewable file but perhaps for use in "project consolidation and hand-off of footage to another facility."

I see in another topic Andrew states "Could BM introduce intermediate codec based on it? Yes, just not sure if we need another intermediate codec"

I am not sure either but if it were an option we would be able to find out if it has value.

BTW, I tried posting a reply earlier and it did not post. I apologize in advance if it shows up later as a double post.

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 4:29 pm

I have to admit, I also thought Grant meant this would be an option on the Deliver page. I was going to write and ask the developer of Playback Pro to include the SDK and make BRAW files compatible.

ogopro

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 5:28 pm

It would be nice to transcode our existing Red RAW and RAW DNG footage to a single Blackmagic RAW file for more efficient media management and stock footage use.

tillkrueger

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 pm

I was also under the impression that we could render to BRAW at some point...the mere fact alone that it retains all of the RAW advantages, at a vastly smaller bandwidth than any other high-quality codec, is enough to make it viable archiving format. It's why I invested $3000 into a Cineform license back in 2001, to be able to tame the huge files that my 3-5K Timelapse files would end up being. I dearly miss the continued support of the Cineform codec, and was overjoyed to learn of BMRAW...but that was, in part, because I thought that I could then render my timelapses to BRAW.

Why would that *not* be a viable option?

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 am

Maybe because of the in-camera treatment.
But Cineform still works for me.

tillkrueger

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 pm

So, is the in-camera part of the processing a necessity to make BRAW work, or is it just a clever way of supporting part of the processing in-camera and taking that part off the computer's CPU/GPU, in advance, so to say?

I mean, sure, it's not like Cineform can't be used anymore, but using a format that is now not in development anymore means that at some point it will probably be necessary to transcode it back into another format for safe-keeping. I'd just rather settle on a format now and leave it at that. Looks like BRAW will be around for a long time, with Blackmagic's continuing gain of users in the industry.

What I'd rather like to see happen is of no consequence here, of course...but maybe, just maybe, if enough users express their wish to see this format supported as a delivery option in Resolve, then BM might be more inclined to make it work?

Is anyone here *against* being able to render to it?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 am

Braw can only be generated in camera.
Resolve and other apps can’t render to it.
Some can trim the clips to media manage but they are not rendering a newly processed clip.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tillkrueger

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 2:55 pm

thanks, Peter. I can live with that, and it does end this discussion of rendering to it definitively.

out of interest, would you mind explaining what it is that happens in the camera, that a computer cannot do?

Daniel Shimshoni

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm

Adobe has DNG converter... Can BM have something similar? It is a major pain to deal with those sequences.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 am

Can you tell us about your workflow? Resolve offers a lot of common sequence formats, just not DNG.

BRaw is clearly meant to be an acquisition codec.

Return to DaVinci Resolve