Subtitle doesn't import positioning tags

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vit Reiter

Subtitle doesn't import positioning tags

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm

DaVinci can read right html tags between "<>", e.g. <i><b><font face="Helvetica neue">TEXT</font></b></i>

Word "TEXT" is italic, bold and in Helvetica neue font. Great!

But DaVinci can not read tags for positioning, e.g. {\an2} or {\an8}

This is very important because you can not search for and manually fix the positions of a feature film in which there are 1,000 subtitles.

If I prepared the title file in a text editor and imported it into DaVinci, all the subtitles must be seen correctly!
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

JPOwens

Re: Subtitle doesn't import positioning tags

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:manually fix the positions

You wouldn't be the first person to find this inconvenient. You have two choices for subtitle positioning for the moment: timeline default and individual cell settings. Unfortunately the individual cell settings don't inherit any of the timeline defaults, so if you opt for an alternate, you are back to scratch, even if it's just a tweak.

For a lot of projects, lower-third centered is fine. For those of us who are subtitling shows that have imbedded text, of course dodging those is paramount, and generally speaking, editors and graphics designers are not taking subtitling into account when designing their on-screen titles. It's a problem/

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve