Sony Trimaster El Setup with DaVince Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jmock231

Sony Trimaster El Setup with DaVince Resolve

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here and my institution is looking to open a post production facility on campus. We purchased the DaVince Resolve suite and have set up a Linux machine to run it. We also purchased a Sony Trimaster El to use as the color correction monitor. I have so far had no luck with getting an image to appear on the Trimaster El from the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G card. We do have a 1080ti as well, but unfortunately, the Trimaster we bought only has the SDI connections in the back and there is no HDMI port (well, there is a port but it has a cover on it. After I removed it, I realized there was nothing behind the cover). I've recently heard that the Trimaster is no longer compatible with the DeckLink card, but I can't find anything definitive that specifies this. Can one of you fine people on this forum provide a little assistance?

Thank you,
Josh
Joshua Mock

jmock231

Re: Sony Trimaster El Setup with DaVince Resolve

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Addendum: After talking to Blackmagic technical support, I was able to get the picture to appear on the monitor. However, it is in black and white and does not appear to support the 4k resolution. I did test to make sure the card itself is projecting the correct image in color by connecting the HDMI to another monitor. The Trimaster itself doesn't appear to want to cooperate. Does anyone have or know where I can get the proper settings for the Trimaster? I've already searched Sony's website, but their PDF doesn't contain the settings I need.
Joshua Mock

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 pm

It would help to have the specific model number of your display.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jmock231

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Sorry about that. It is the Sony Trimaster El BVM-x300 Software Version 2.0.
Joshua Mock

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm

All the high end facilities here in LA use that monitor with Resolve. Where in the world did you hear that it's not compatible with a DeckLink card?

That monitor supports a zillion formats with its multiple inputs. It certainly does 4K, but not over a single SDI link. It supports dual and quad SDI link for 4K. If you want to properly feed 4K 4:4:4 into that display, you need the Quad SDI I/O Mezzanine board option for the DeckLink 12G card. Otherwise, you can only feed dual link 4:2:2 4K into the display.

Because of all the I/O possibilities with this display, you do need to ensure that the Resolve Video Monitoring settings and the x300 input settings match for your intended format.

If you can tell us specifically WHAT you want Resolve to feed to the display, that might be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart

jmock231

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 pm

I heard that from one of my senior colleagues here at the college. With that being said, we aren't a production studio. I work at an art college in their IT department and don't have a lot of experience with this software or the hardware that accompanies it. We are attempting to get a post production facility up and running for our students as well as commercial studios.

I will look into the Mezzanine board and see if that's something we already have or if we can acquire it. I will have to test with changing the feed to 4:2:2 4k as it's currently set to 4:4:4. I will let you know what I discover.

I do currently have an HDMI going into an HP monitor to verify that the output from the DeckLink card is correct, which it is. I have created a sample scene inside Resolve with just a simple 4k image and I'm trying to feed that image to the Trimaster. It does show up on that monitor but it shows up without color, while on the HP that is connected with HDMI, it shows up in color.
Joshua Mock

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 pm

If you have HDMI, then you absolutely don't have the Quad SDI I/O mezzanine card, since it replaces the HDMI mezzanine card.

So if what you are trying to do is get 4K to the x300, then in the Resolve Video Monitoring area, you need to select Dual Link SDI mode, and not enable the "Use 4:4:4 SDI" checkbox. Then you need to feed the A and B link outputs of the DeckLink card to the SDI 1 and SDI 2 inputs of the x300. This is limited to max frame rate of 30.
Dwaine Maggart

jmock231

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks Dwaine. The image does show up on the x300 but it is without color. Also, when I select 4k 2160p 30, I get an error message saying Failed to set the videomode on the video I/O device. The video on the x300 does stay with that setting though. I've experimented with the color settings on the x300 but so far none of the combinations I've tried have resulted in a color display.
Joshua Mock

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 pm

That's because while the x300 can go to 30, the Desktop Video 4K Extreme 12G card tops out at 25 in 4K DCI. It will go to 60 in UHD, if that works for you. Otherwise, try 4K 24, and see how that works.
Dwaine Maggart

jmock231

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 pm

I can get an image with 2k 1080p 24 but UHD and 4k 24 don't show an image on the x300. We're going to place an order for the mezzanine card to see if that helps. It should be here by the end of the week.
Joshua Mock

Marc Wielage

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 am

Don't worry about color-correcting in 4K. Just color-correct it in 2K and know nothing changes but the resolution upon final render.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 12:39 pm

there are so many setting on a x300...

Dwaine, do you need quad link for 4k? I thunk in fotokem they are all connected with 4 cables.

Jmock, start simple and build up: connect a single sdi cable, Seth the x300 for single link rec709 2.4 gamma limited range and check if you see the correct image.

Once you have that we will go to the next.

Where are you located? (The campus)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

jmock231

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Walter,

I am located in Sarasota at Ringling College of Art and Design. We have a new post production facility that will be opening soon so I'm trying to figure out some of this technology ahead of its opening.

I do have an image on the x300, but it's in black and white. Currently it's connected with two SDI cables, but I was also getting an image with one cable. I've tried adjusting the color settings on the x300, but nothing I changed resulted in a color image. I'll try the 2.4 gamma limited range this morning to see if that helps.
Joshua Mock

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

jmock231 wrote:Hi Walter,

I am located in Sarasota at Ringling College of Art and Design. We have a new post production facility that will be opening soon so I'm trying to figure out some of this technology ahead of its opening.

I do have an image on the x300, but it's in black and white. Currently it's connected with two SDI cables, but I was also getting an image with one cable. I've tried adjusting the color settings on the x300, but nothing I changed resulted in a color image. I'll try the 2.4 gamma limited range this morning to see if that helps.

i go from memory: one of the little function buttons (8? i dont remember which) should toggle that b/w on and off. IIRC if you tap on the right knob, it should give you a menu with a brief explanation.

sorry, I don't know where it is Sarasota... Florida?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

jmock231

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks Walter. It was the button on the monitor that was keeping it in black and white. I can't thank you all enough for your help with this.

And Sarasota is south of Tampa Bay on the western side of the state. :D
Joshua Mock

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 am

jmock231 wrote:Thanks Walter. It was the button on the monitor that was keeping it in black and white. I can't thank you all enough for your help with this. And Sarasota is south of Tampa Bay on the western side of the state. :D

That's a beautiful area, and the Ringling College is a terrific school. I envy you -- that's got to be a great place to teach.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve