Keyboard shortcuts not working in 15.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Deburchgrave

Keyboard shortcuts not working in 15.2

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 am

Did anybody else experience that the 'go to in' and 'go to out' keyboard shortcuts are not working anymore in 15.2? I use them a lot to go to the mark in and mark out points in the timeline. Their menu entries in the program's drop down menu don't work either. It's rather difficult and slow to edit without them. Any solutions?

Jwanschura

Re: Keyboard shortcuts not working in 15.2

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 10:31 am

yes it did´t work for me either.
My Keybord Layout is German and that's why the hole new Keybord adjustments do not work at all.
It has workd with prevous versions.
Anyway, i switch now from german to english, so the preset from DR is doing fine.
With "go to in" and "go to out".
Win10, Resolve studio 15, Decklink Studio2, nvidia 1070 8gb, 32gb ram

Tom Deburchgrave

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for the reply!

I have an English keyboard layout though and I'm in the DR preset layout.
I found a post on this forum where someone is saying you have to activate the record monitor first for these functions to work. And this works for me too indeed. But that's a very annoying extra step you have to do every time you use these functions.
Are you able to use these functions without this extra step?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am

We will have this fixed in the next update.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tom Deburchgrave

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks for your reply Peter. It's a minor bug but it makes editing a lot slower.

I also noticed that the behaviour of the 'previous clip/edit' and 'next clip/edit' functions changed since version 15.2. Now it stops at in and out points in the timeline, which it didn't in previous versions. It used to just go to a next or previous edit, which made more sense.

I think flawless shortcut behaviour is a very important thing for an editor as myself. I've been working with Avid Media Composer for about 15 years but the last years I'm slowly trying to switch to DR for almost all of my work. I love DR. But sometimes small bugs in these basic operations can cause frustration for an everyday editor.

What is really nice though is that since version 15.2 it's possible to use the row with the numeric keys on the keyboard as custom shortcuts in the edit page. So just like in Avid, you can now use the keys 0-9 as custom shortcuts for editing. This is great because now there are 10 extra keys without modifier available.
Before version 15.2, typing the numeric keys while the timeline is active always entered a timecode value in the record monitor. You can still enter a timecode value if needed when the record monitor is active, which makes much more sense to me.

jayval116

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 9:53 pm

I'm trying to customize shortcuts and sometimes the shortcuts I set just stop working as well. I also can't switch the numbers 0-9 to shortcuts as well. I set zooming in and out to E and R. Basically any navigating shortcut is set to my left hand as if I'm playing a game haha.

But after awhile it the custom shortcuts I set stop working and I have to restart in order for them to start working again. Just wondering if anyone had this happen to you as well. I am using the free version as well, if that is also a problem.

joshua.d.taft

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 am

I'm having the same issue. I've set up a custom layout, and I've had a few shortcuts, including default ones, not work. Mainly it seems to have issues with cutting and ripple deleting for me.

gibsonnotguitar

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm having the same problem with custom keyboard shorcuts not working. This my first attempt to edit with Resolve and this is a HUGE issue!!

I'm on 15.2

Andreas Urra

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Same here on Windows 10. I defined a shortcut for “Add Bin”. It even shows up when right clicking in the media pool, but it doesn’t work.
Win10, 128GB RAM
NVidia RTX 2080Ti
Resolve 16.2.4

kristiankynk

PostFri May 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Same in 16b2. Added a shortcut for "Add subtitle". Added key doesn't to anything.

RobStowell

PostFri May 24, 2019 12:45 am

I'm on windows, use 15.3 both studio and free versions. I have a problem with shift+backspace not working. Just seems to have disappeared. have also had an intermittent problem where zoom in was sometimes control + but sometimes needed to be control+shift +
My 'muscle memory' doesn't like this!

max_papp

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:23 am

I also always hab problems with assigning shortcuts and never knew what the problem was.
Apparently, when you assign an already existing shortcut, Resolve is not overwriting the old shortcut, you have to go to the old shortcut and change it to something else. I always thought that by clicking "Assign" it does that automatically. As long as one shortcut is assigned to two different commands it is not working.
I hope this helps and the Resolve Team may consider changing this in the future.

Ricardo.Ribeiro.Edit

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Same thing happening to me while trying to edit. Assigned a new key to an operation a few wkees ago and everything was working fine. Now all of a sudden it stoped working. This happened before and restarting Resolve would do the trick. I have re assigned the same key to an operation a few times, after restarting both Resolve and the iMac another few times and it just doesnt work at all. I know about the conflicting keys and this is not the issue.

Particularly for editing this is a major let down.

Working on a iMac, resolve studio 1.2.1.17

IvanTheEditor

PostTue May 11, 2021 6:16 am

Wow... 3 years later and this MAJOR bug is still here. So many custom keyboard shortcuts simply not working. I'm able to assign a key to a command but when I press it - nothing happens. For example - I assigned "Opt + U" to "Zoom Out" and nada. But I also assigned "Opt + O" to "Zoom In" and it works fine. This is so crazy to me....

Return to DaVinci Resolve