Invisible Fusion 'Select Tool' window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robertwest

Invisible Fusion 'Select Tool' window

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am

When on the Fusion screen, pressing Shift-Spacebar should bring up the Select Tool window. This used to work fine on my system until just recently when the window is now invisible. The Select Tool window still responds, so if I press shift-space and then type MRG it will insert a merge node, but I cannot see the window. The window is definitely there - if you try to click on any other part of Resolve you will get a warning chime, and you can't do anything else until you press the ESC button, so it's just a case of I can't actually see it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Harvey_Barnes

Re: Invisible Fusion 'Select Tool' window

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm

RESOLVED for me! (Pardon the pun.)

This same thing happened to me. I discovered that this is related to extended desktops (multiple displays) and showed up when I re-positioned my extended desktop (right-click the desktop and select Display Settings) from the right of my primary screen to above it.

If the Fusion Select Tool window was last used on an extended desktop/second display and you subsequently stopped using the extended desktop/second display, or like me, you re-position that extended desktop, the Fusion Select Tool (and perhaps other Resolve pop-up windows) won't appear on your displays... it will be at the last desktop position. In my case this was to the right of my primary display, even though my second display (and extended desktop) was now above my primary display.

To fix this...

If you stopped using an extended desktop/second display, turn your extended desktop/second display back on. If you re-positioned your extended desktop/second display, re-position you extended desktop to its former position (when you last could see the Fusion Select Tool).

Now Launch Resolve and pull up the Fusion Select Tool. If Fusion Select Tool shows up, drag it to your primary display and close it. If you pull it up again, it should show up on your primary screen again. You can close Resolve and then switch your desktop back to either just a single (primary) display or re-position the extended desktop back to its desired position.

If the Fusion Select Tool doesn't show up, move the extended desktop (right-click the desktop and select Display Settings) to different positions while the 'invisible' Fusion Select Tool is active. It should appear in one of those positions.

I hope this helps!

It would be nice if, by default, the pop-up windows followed the re-positioned extended desktop, and defaulted back to the primary display if only a primary display is used. If that's not possible, initiating the 'Reset UI Layout' function should reset the position of these windows to the primary display (or the display that Resolve is using at the time).
Davinci Resolve Studio 15.2.2
Windows 10 (1809)
i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz, 16GB RAM
GeForce GTX1070 (8GB RAM)

DFissoun

Re: Invisible Fusion 'Select Tool' window

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 am

Harvey_Barnes wrote:
I hope this helps!

Harvey, you absolute lifesaver! Thank you for taking the time to leave your solution. I just had the exact same thing happen to me and couldn't figure out why my select tool dialogue stopped appearing when pressing Shift+Spacebar. I could see the search term I was typing in the Fusion Status bar, and heard the *bing* when I clicked elsewhere.

In my system settings, I changed my second display to be my primary, which finally brought up the select tool dialogue. I moved it to be on top of Fusion and then set my first display to be my primary. Solved!

Return to DaVinci Resolve