Way to blur only a part of the clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tolaakin

Way to blur only a part of the clip

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey all,

This is my first post so I hope I dont break any rules with this post!

I am currently editing a video in Davinci 14 and in one particular clip, I am trying to blur out a logo. Blurring/tracking is relatively simple on the colour screen, however this logo goes out of frame and then reappears in the same clip.

The problem I have is that the blurred tracker follows the logo until it goes off-screen and then remains in the same position until the end of the clip. Since its already blurred, it looks weird when viewing the clip.

I already set key-markers to show when I want the tracker to start and end, but if I do any editing of the blur outside the keymarkers, it affects the blur in the keymarkers (does that make sense?).

The only solution I can think of is to split the clip into various parts and add the blur accordingly, but there must be a simple way just to stop the blur and start it again within the same clip. This may mean adding another node and I do not mind - I was also thinking that I could potentially trim the node that has the blur so that it stops when I want the blur to disappear. I do not know if this is possible.

Regards (and thanks for the help!)

Hector Berrebi

Re: Way to blur only a part of the clip

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm

tolaakin wrote:The problem I have is that the blurred tracker follows the logo until it goes off-screen and then remains in the same position until the end of the clip. Since its already blurred, it looks weird when viewing the clip.

Hey Tola.

in the tracker window you can switch the mode to Frame. now every change you make to your mask manually, at any frame you are on, is recorded. you can either move the mask out of frame this way, or, make its opacity drop to 0. Don't forget to click it back to Clip when done to avoid unwanted mistakes.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Return to DaVinci Resolve