Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Todd Groves

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I shot drone footage at 59.94fps. But, I want to render it at 24fps. How do I go about doing this? I tried changing the Clip Attributes to 24fps, but the Deliver page only allowed 59.94fps.

Thanks in advance.
Offline

penbotsu

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:29 am
  • Real Name: Pen Botsu

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi there! :)

Important for the delivery page in case of fps is only the "Timeline frame rate" setting in the 'Project Settings' (gear in the corner) -> 'Master Settings' Tab. It will have a standard framrate if you start a new project and you can set it to 59.94fps manually (before you import a clip to the timeline). Also if you import your first clip (with 59.94fps) to the timeline and your settings are different, Resolve will ask you to keep the settings or to change it to the one of the clip.

Ok and now comes the downer:
The settings are set in stone after that and.... that's pretty much it. You can't change it afterwards. So if you didn't put a lot of effort in that project, go on and start a new one. But if you did, then I would suggest to render in 59.97fps instead and go with it or render the outcome again with 24fps in a new timeline.



As far as I know currently there is no other way. And I hope someone corrects me now, cause really.. that's one of the biggest things I.... HATE about Resolve. Really I mean.. I can understand it can do weird things if you want to change the fps of the timeline but holy hell, just give at least the option to render at another setting? Of course everyone is filming with maximum fps (slowmo etc.) and it absolutely makes sense to edit it in that way too. That still not means, that you want to render it in the same framerate.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5576
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Turn on motion adaptive interpolation and hope for the best :)
Tools like Alchemist/Tachyon would do such a conversion fairly well.
Offline

Todd Groves

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Turn on motion adaptive interpolation and hope for the best :)
Tools like Alchemist/Tachyon would do such a conversion fairly well.


Where do I find "motion adaptive interpolation"?
Offline

RCModelReviews

  • Posts: 378
  • Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 am
  • Real Name: Bruce Simpson

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Create a project... set the timeline to 24FPS *before* you add any video clips. When you add the first 59.94FPS video clip to the timeline you'll be told there's a mismatch and Resolve will offer to change the timeline FPS to match the clip FPS. Say "no thanks" to that offer.

Your 59.94FPS footage will then be added to the 24FPS timeline and when you go to render, 24FPS will be the render frame-rate.

You can control how Resolve handles the down-conversion by using the inspector for the clip and choosing between "closest" (just drops frames), "blend" (a simple interpolation) or "optical flow" (a far more complex and slower interpolation that sometimes works great but other times produces unacceptable distortions in the footage). Try each one to see which gives best results for your footage.
Resolve 15 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 (1709) 32GB RAM, GPU: GTX1060/6
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.
Offline
User avatar

Cary Knoop

  • Posts: 1033
  • Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm
  • Location: Newark, CA USA

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 1:33 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Turn on motion adaptive interpolation and hope for the best :)
Tools like Alchemist/Tachyon would do such a conversion fairly well.

I think that Resolve 15 does a pretty good job going from 60p to 24p. You might want to add a tiny bit of motion blur as well.

The catch is that scene changes could have been handled a lot better, in some cases you might have to render scenes separately and merge them. BM should look into this imho.

Here is an example going from 60i to 24p using a 60p deinterlaced intermediate, the frame rate conversion works well but notice the problems at some of the scene changes!

Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 2608
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 2:30 am

penbotsu wrote:As far as I know currently there is no other way. And I hope someone corrects me now, cause really.. that's one of the biggest things I.... HATE about Resolve.


There is, sort of, a trick. Delete everything in the media pool. Yes, you heard right. Then go into preferences and change the frame rate. Then hit "undo", bringing back all the footage and the timelines you just deleted. Depending on how much you deleted, the "undo" may not be instantaneous. But it should all come back. If it doesn't for any reason, then just exit and reload the project.
Offline

Todd Groves

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 4:12 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Create a project... set the timeline to 24FPS *before* you add any video clips. When you add the first 59.94FPS video clip to the timeline you'll be told there's a mismatch and Resolve will offer to change the timeline FPS to match the clip FPS. Say "no thanks" to that offer.

Your 59.94FPS footage will then be added to the 24FPS timeline and when you go to render, 24FPS will be the render frame-rate.

You can control how Resolve handles the down-conversion by using the inspector for the clip and choosing between "closest" (just drops frames), "blend" (a simple interpolation) or "optical flow" (a far more complex and slower interpolation that sometimes works great but other times produces unacceptable distortions in the footage). Try each one to see which gives best results for your footage.


Thanks. I used the Frame Blend setting and it came out pretty smooth.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5576
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:58 am

Do you like blended frames? This is crap. You get ghosting.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5576
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Turn on motion adaptive interpolation and hope for the best :)
Tools like Alchemist/Tachyon would do such a conversion fairly well.

I think that Resolve 15 does a pretty good job going from 60p to 24p. You might want to add a tiny bit of motion blur as well.

The catch is that scene changes could have been handled a lot better, in some cases you might have to render scenes separately and merge them. BM should look into this imho.


Implementation if rather for scenes/cuts adjustments not whole masters (same problem in eg. Edius).
For typical frame rate conversion (for already edited masters) scene change detection is a must. I think in Resolve you can first run scene change detection to "cut" your clip and then try motion adaptive conversion. It may work, not sure.
Offline

Todd Groves

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Do you like blended frames? This is crap. You get ghosting.


Depends on how dramatic the movement is within the frame. For my drone shot, changing it from 60fps to 24fps with frame blending worked fine. Obviously, there are different solutions for different situations. There isn't a one size fits all approach.
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 6468
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 8:51 am

Please note guys, we don't recommend this hack. You can easily get audio/video sync issues or audio pops.


John Paines wrote:
penbotsu wrote:As far as I know currently there is no other way. And I hope someone corrects me now, cause really.. that's one of the biggest things I.... HATE about Resolve.


There is, sort of, a trick. Delete everything in the media pool. Yes, you heard right. Then go into preferences and change the frame rate. Then hit "undo", bringing back all the footage and the timelines you just deleted. Depending on how much you deleted, the "undo" may not be instantaneous. But it should all come back. If it doesn't for any reason, then just exit and reload the project.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline

Todd Groves

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

Re: Shot at 59.94fps want to deliver at 24fps...How?

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please note guys, we don't recommend this hack. You can easily get audio/video sync issues or audio pops.


John Paines wrote:
penbotsu wrote:As far as I know currently there is no other way. And I hope someone corrects me now, cause really.. that's one of the biggest things I.... HATE about Resolve.


There is, sort of, a trick. Delete everything in the media pool. Yes, you heard right. Then go into preferences and change the frame rate. Then hit "undo", bringing back all the footage and the timelines you just deleted. Depending on how much you deleted, the "undo" may not be instantaneous. But it should all come back. If it doesn't for any reason, then just exit and reload the project.


Thanks for the heads up, Peter.

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, John Griffin, Jorgelol, KovaGe, Nery89, Thepopworm and 54 guests