Page 2 of 2

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm
by rhgkswhd
Hi,

Thank you for preferring Blackmagic Design products.

DaVinci Resolve UI supports 1920x1080 resolution only. It does not support OS scaling.

Our developer is aware of this. It may require a total revamp of the software in order to support OS scaling.


This is reply from BM Asia.
It took years to fix Ableton Live UI scaling issue, so don't get your hopes up.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:31 am
by SandroSchreiber
As noted by many users, the UI scales correctly under OSX. Is this so much easier to implement in OSX? I am not a developer and I am aware that there are huge differences between the two operating systems. But this problem was reported and documented by Windows users years ago. Just wondering...

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:54 pm
by Sulo Kokki
OSX (up to El Cap) did not do UI scaling. Around High Sierra, some Mac models have seemingly adopted the ability.

Apple & UI scaling

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 pm
by MarcusWolschon
You don't scale the UI.
UIs are not bitmap graphics.
UIs are not even supposed to be defined in pixels in this millenia.

You tell the applications about the DPI of each monitor and the applications are supposed to
render their fonts correctly. Separately for each window/dialog depending on what screen
it's shown on.
So a 10pt font is supposed to be 10pt = 3,53mm in physical size when rendered.
You support them by giving them rendering methods for fonts, helper methods for calculating
sizes and good documentations with examples that show these best practices.
In short the graphics API should make it easier to do it correctly then to make wrong assumptions
"because it was easier at that time".

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm
by roger.magnusson
SandroSchreiber wrote:As noted by many users, the UI scales correctly under OSX. Is this so much easier to implement in OSX? I am not a developer and I am aware that there are huge differences between the two operating systems. But this problem was reported and documented by Windows users years ago. Just wondering...

Resolve uses the Qt Framework for cross platform UI. They mention some of the differences in the operating systems here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 am
by pnguyen720
Joe Hudson wrote:an update. selecting the System or System (Enhanced) option in High DPI scaling override in the Resolve exe properties/compatibility options changes the text in Resolve back from comically big to about the right size, but it's then all blurry (on a 31" 4k monitor), where as text in other programs is a similar size but displayed nice and crisply.. I'm using Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Windows 10.


I just ran across this problem and tried this with the latest 16.2 release and noticed that it's still blurry on my 43" 4K monitor too.

I hope Davinci fixes this soon.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 am
by johnford
pnguyen720 wrote:
Joe Hudson wrote:an update. selecting the System or System (Enhanced) option in High DPI scaling override in the Resolve exe properties/compatibility options changes the text in Resolve back from comically big to about the right size, but it's then all blurry (on a 31" 4k monitor), where as text in other programs is a similar size but displayed nice and crisply.. I'm using Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Windows 10.


I just ran across this problem and tried this with the latest 16.2 release and noticed that it's still blurry on my 43" 4K monitor too.

I hope Davinci fixes this soon.


Me too...

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:18 am
by HardRoosterLabs
4k 32" Monitor here as well. On Windows, I have the UI scaling set to 150% for the whole OS, and that works for me. Resolve looks good at that resolution for me as well.

But in Linux, the UI is tiny and I can't use it. I'm running Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, and I can double the DPI for the UI for the rest of the OS, but this has no impact on the Resolve UI scale. It's always tiny.

If I set the monitor to 1080p with no UI upscaling, the Resolve UI becomes workable, if a touch big for my taste.

I'll probably be using Linux mostly for Blender, but it would be nice to do a bit of video editing, and see if the performance is better. I tend to get a lot of input lag on Windows once I start getting my project built up.

It would be nice to have a UI scale option, like blender has.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am
by johnford
HardRoosterLabs wrote:4k 32" Monitor here as well. On Windows, I have the UI scaling set to 150% for the whole OS, and that works for me. Resolve looks good at that resolution for me as well.

I'm on Windows with WQHD scaled to 200%, and it still looks terrible. All other programs scale well, Resolve is the only exception.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm
by lml591
Hallo all,

This is my first post and i couldn't resist to post this.

Just found a youtube about someone called Jimmy Rig explaining some fixes for Resolve scaling issues. His second method is for AMD cards only.

Nvidia seems to also have a super resolution setting in control panel.

I tried this with an nivida 1080 and I'm getting quite good results, better than the thus far known work arounds like override dpi settings and the like.

In nvidia control panel go to "manage 3d settings", scroll down to "find DSR factors". I got mine set to 1.78x. DSR smootness is on 33%, didn't touch that.

I'm on a 27" LG 4k monitor.
Now I can set my display resolution to 5120x2880 with different scaling factors.
Fact is, resolve now looks quite good. There might be some very slight blurriness but barely visible compared to the other workarounds.

Resolve users in windows should try this. This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:44 pm
by johnford
lml591 wrote:Hallo all,
I tried this with an nivida 1080 and I'm getting quite good results, better than the thus far known work arounds like override dpi settings and the like.

This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately for my Intel graphics card, there are 3D-options, but nothing comparable to your DSR settings.

lml591 wrote:This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

They don't seem to be interested in this issue.

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 pm
by pnguyen720
lml591 wrote:Hallo all,

This is my first post and i couldn't resist to post this.

Just found a youtube about someone called Jimmy Rig explaining some fixes for Resolve scaling issues. His second method is for AMD cards only.

Nvidia seems to also have a super resolution setting in control panel.

I tried this with an nivida 1080 and I'm getting quite good results, better than the thus far known work arounds like override dpi settings and the like.

In nvidia control panel go to "manage 3d settings", scroll down to "find DSR factors". I got mine set to 1.78x. DSR smootness is on 33%, didn't touch that.

I'm on a 27" LG 4k monitor.
Now I can set my display resolution to 5120x2880 with different scaling factors.
Fact is, resolve now looks quite good. There might be some very slight blurriness but barely visible compared to the other workarounds.

Resolve users in windows should try this. This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.


I just tried this using 135% custom scaling and didn't see any changes..

Guess I'm stuck at 150%.

Thanks for posting this anyways.