Can't Launch Davinci Resolve Windows 10

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yodyos

Can't Launch Davinci Resolve Windows 10

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 12:24 am

Hi, I can't launch Davinci Resolve 15.2.3 on my Windows 10 desktop.

Here are my specs

Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

So this is my first time trying to run DaVinci. I click to open the program and it loads for just a second and then nothing. I watch my task manager and can see it appear for only a split second and it disappears. I cannot upload my crash log because it has never even launched to any extent. If I try to click CaptureLogs and it does nothing.
I have tried unplugging all USB devices and unplugged any extra monitors. I have tried running it in compatibility mode with all versions of Windows, running it as admin, and I even installed the newest version of Davinci Resolve 14 and that doesn't even work. What do I do?

yodyos

Re: Can't Launch Davinci Resolve Windows 10

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am

An Update: I downloaded it on my laptop which is far inferior to my desktop and it works fine. I still need this to work on my desktop though. I also forgot to mention that I updated my gpu drivers and made sure Windows is updated.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 4:08 am

Can u post your Windows nfo file?
And which NVIDIA driver?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 5:36 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

yodyos

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Thank you for your replies. As I said In my post earlier the CaptureLogs does not work as the program has never launched. Nothing shows on my desktop after running it.

Here is my NFO
https://mega.nz/#!yHJmBAjI!VFDpELqEutdb ... _QZs4-c0uk

And the Nvidia Driver I updated to is 25.21.14.1771. I tried rolling back that driver as well.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Lets try a clean install.

NOTE: Anyone with existing project data should NOT follow the steps below. This process assumes no existing Resolve user data to deal with.

Do a normal Resolve app uninstall. In Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features - Right click DaVinci Resolve and select uninstall.

Next, in Windows File Explorer, delete the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder, if it still happens to be there. Normally it should not be there. The uninstall should remove this folder, but in some instances may not.

Next, in Windows File Explorer, delete the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder.

Now Resolve should be completely removed from your system.

Install the desired Resolve version. When you first launch it after the install, it should offer to show you the onboarding video, showing new features. You can watch this or skip it. Then it will offer to do the Quick Setup. You should go through this quick setup process. Then it should launch Resolve.

What happens?
Dwaine Maggart

yodyos

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 pm

So I did the clean install as directed and It walked me through the tour and the quick setup. After I click done at the end, the window disappears and I'm back to square one. This is how it was the first time I installed it.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Does CaptureLogs work now? If so, please send a log and updated NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

yodyos

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 7:39 pm

CaptureLogs does not work. It's exactly the same as the first time I installed it. Any other suggestions besides checking logs?

Matt Heere

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Have you tried launching Resolve as an admin (right click - Run As Administrator)? For reasons which I was never able to explain, I had to do this with my fresh install of 15.2.3 to get it to run the 1st time. It has subsequently started up correctly under normal user credentials.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Using a GTX 1060 6GB card with driver 23.21.13.9065. No problems.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 pm

CaptureLogs just about has to work if Resolve is installed.

Send a screen shot of this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support

and this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\logs
Dwaine Maggart

yodyos

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 am

Thank you for the replies, I have tried opening it as an admin and it doesn't work. Is the dmg file in the logs folder the output of the CaptureLogs? It never appeared on the desktop... I put that file in the link as well just in case.
Here are my screenshots https://mega.nz/#F!TLYXGCwA!QNHOJJnukwouybTnFWZAbQ

yodyos

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 am

I'm starting to get frustrated, I don't know what else to do. It's been nearly a week since I posted my question and I haven't gotten any real help yet.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 12:04 am

There is nothing helpful in the .dmp file.

Dev team suggests a Windows 10 reinstall.
Dwaine Maggart

yodyos

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:47 am

Dang, I just might. I'll let you know how that goes.

yodyos

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 pm

I reinstalled Windows 10 and now it works! Thanks.

moosam

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 2:49 am

I am experiencing the same exact problem... and tried the manual uninstall and reinstall as directed, nope.. same issue.. cannot launch Resolve. I am running the latest 16.2.2 version.

Cannot reinstall Windows, too many important files on my PC.

My computer is running Windows 10 with i7-7700 4.2GHz and 32GB RAM, 2T SSD, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB)

The thing is, everything was working fine.. never installed anything on my pc for sometime.. just closed Resolve, and that's it, unable to run it again.. shows up in Task Manager for a second then disappears

moosam

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 6:41 am

Just an update.. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 (without deleting my data, i.e repair), and unfortunately to no avail. I did a CaptureLog, but cannot attach it (says too large .. about 400M), and I cannot post a dropbox URL either.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm

From the Support and Troubleshooting FAQ:

Posting Tricks
If you are new to the forum and so are not yet authorized to post links, or the linked file is too big, place the logs and other diagnostic files you have on Dropbox or a similar site and provide a link to that site location in your post. If you put a space in the path, e.g. my. dropbox.com then the forum will not see this as a link and just text so the reader can copy this link, remove the space and review the dropbox info.

Make sure you also provide a Windows System Information .NFO file in that Dropbox link...
Dwaine Maggart

moosam

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 1:04 am

OK, finally and after two hectic days of troubleshooting, I was able to find what the problem is. I hope this post helps others.

Dwaine, you were on the right track at your resolution. DR 16 doesn't delete its directories after the uninstall, I therefore did what you suggested above,

Next, in Windows File Explorer, delete the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder, if it still happens to be there. Normally it should not be there. The uninstall should remove this folder, but in some instances may not.

Next, in Windows File Explorer, delete the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder.

Now Resolve should be completely removed from your system.

I deleted both folders (actually moved them to a temp directory) to no avail. But you missed the AppData folder in your resolution above. I found some DR 16 leftovers under the directory:
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\"
I deleted that too, and voila.. everything came back.

Frustrated that I lost my projects, I tried bringing some files back little by little, was able to bring everything back, and found that the directory,
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences\"
is what was causing my issues, not sure why! But, what's important now is that the problem is fixed and my DR 16 and my projects are back.

As simple as the fix may sound, it burned 2 days of my time and a lot of coffee :D

Let me know Dwaine if you are still interested in the captures.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 4:58 pm

The thread you reference was pre-Resolve 16, and at that time, those were the only folders to delete/move.

Resolve 16 added the appdata folders. And I have numerous posts describing how to do a clean install of Resolve 16, that reference all the related folders.

Glad you got it sorted.
Dwaine Maggart

pstabs

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi I know this is an older thread but I am having the same issues and am super frustrated with it.

I made the mistake of rebooting my PC and allowing it to apply Windows Security updates. Now I'm unable to get the program to load past the "Looking for Control Surface".

The splash screen goes away, the program is removed from task manager.

I have uninstalled and removed all of the folders per this thread. When I reinstall, it will run the getting started intro. But then nothing.

I've lost 30 hours of editing on one project currently and I'm not in a position where I can just reinstall my operating system for this software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 pm

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart

Rmccn08

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 12:54 am

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200809_195059.zip
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Hello,

I am having the same problem as well. I have tried everything in this thread but I can't seem to get it to open. I have noticed that if I let the program sit for a while, the loading screen will pop up, but then it will proceed to freeze, forcing me to use task manager to shut it down which takes a while as well.

I have attached my capture log to this post.

Rmccn08

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 1:23 am

I updated my Nvidia graphics card via geforce experience and davinci resolve is now working for me. Hopefully this can help somebody.

AndyWehrle

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:45 pm

New guy here. I've been using DaVinci Resolve 16 for about two months now. Today the program refuses to open. It goes to the first splash screen and either freezes there or the screen disappears.

Here are the last three lines of the log file for today:

[0x00003a70] | GPUManager | INFO | 2020-09-17 19:22:30,532 | Hired CUDA board 0 <GeForce GTX 1660>
[0x00002fa8] | SyManager | WARN | 2020-09-17 19:22:32,507 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061

[0x00002fa8] | SyManager | ERROR | 2020-09-17 19:22:32,507 | DRIVER: panel connection failed

Help please.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm

We need a complete Resolve log and an NFO file.

Since your system was working, what changed?

If you've recently added any new hardware that uses USB or BlueTooth, disconnect that and see if it solves the issue.

If you've recently installed Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware or VPN software, that could stop Resolve from launching.
Dwaine Maggart

AndyWehrle

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:03 pm

All stop.

So I powered the system down overnight and when I cranked it up this am DaVinci Resolve started right up. I was able to install the latest update and everything seems to be hunky dory now.

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad I didn't need your help and even happier that I found this site.

Lovin' Life!

Andy

raghukodad

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi,

I have been facing the same problem of Resolve not opening even though it shows the initial banner and shows the progress when each plug-in gets loaded.

After 1-2min, this window disappears and nothing opens up. Resolve runs in the background.
I tried restarting; reinstalling but it didn't help.

Can you let me know the fix for this. I am attaching the NFO and log files in the google drive link here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks
Raghu

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Your link is restricted and requires access credentials. Please make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

jeremyrjohnston

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 pm

I cannot get Resolve to open anymore no matter what I try. I ran the capture logs if anyone can help me out. Very appreciated! I also tried to post a link to them, but am being told by the board I cannot post URLs... so if someone could just offer advice on what I can do. This has been frustrating me for 3 days now!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 6:45 am

jeremyrjohnston wrote:I cannot get Resolve to open anymore no matter what I try. I ran the capture logs if anyone can help me out. Very appreciated! I also tried to post a link to them, but am being told by the board I cannot post URLs... so if someone could just offer advice on what I can do. This has been frustrating me for 3 days now!

As per the FAQs, put the logs and nfo on Dropbox and a link here with a space in the path.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 8:59 pm

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

raghukodad

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 5:16 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your link is restricted and requires access credentials. Please make it an open link.

Hi , Please try with this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xFefhg ... sp=sharing

rastographics

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 1:51 pm

I had this issue with my computer a year ago and gave up, figured it was my outdated PC.

A few months ago I built a completely new PC with fresh Windows 10 install. Ryzen 3900x with 2060 Super.

Excited to finally try Resolve, I downloaded and installed...and same problem still (after intial tour, program closes. only splash screen comes up, and closes after hanging on "looking for control surfaces")

Decided to look for recent answers and found this thread. I did as other mentioned, deleting all 3 locations where app data exists. Also updated my nvidia drivers just to be sure... did a clean install of Resolve. Did NOT install the Panels and Keyboard options.

And it now works!! I can finally try Resolve for the first time ever.

But there is definitely something amiss in the install/uninstall process on windows. It didn't work the first time even on a clean windows install.

Agresvig

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 7:37 pm

I am experiencing this as well, and it is not only extremely frustrating but also prohibiting me from doing my work.

I have a fully up to date Win10 installation, Ryzen 3900X, Radeon 5700XT, nvme SSD and tons of RAM.

I tried closing all running apps, and cleanout out my system as much as absolutely possible. Disconnected all external peripherals except mouse monitor and keyboard.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstall Resolve many times now, rebooting in between. Version 16.2.7

Capture logs and system NFO can be found here:
h ttps://www. dropbox . com/sh/bpvqhuhckyz8pui/AACN49sMM4zriVnHTXJoX_GBa?dl=0

All help is very much appreciated - I am stuck!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Your Oct 1 - 1PM log shows that Resolve launched and you loaded this project:

LAL Roykenveien

What was different from that launch, and the times it hung?

You didn't send a Windows NFO file. Looks like you sent your Windows Registry file.

For the NFO, open System Information, then do a File - Save to generate the .NFO file. After the .NFO file has been made, double click it. It should open in System Information. If it says the file is corrupt, keep trying until you get a good one.
Dwaine Maggart

Agresvig

PostFri Oct 02, 2020 5:03 am

Dwaine, thank you so much for looking into this.
Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your Oct 1 - 1PM log shows that Resolve launched and you loaded this project:

LAL Roykenveien

What was different from that launch, and the times it hung?

Honestly, I cannot really tell. Resolve started acting weird after I was done with the LAL project, I guess..
Dwaine Maggart wrote:You didn't send a Windows NFO file. Looks like you sent your Windows Registry file.

Please check dropbox link again, there should be a new .nfo file in there now.

I should add that I was able to start Resolve yesterday; after rebooting computer, and leaving no apps open, I opened up Resolve. After around 15 minutes of showing the splashscreen (with intermittent freezing), Resolve actually opened up and seems usable, albeit slow. Something is definitely wrong here.

I also added a new log capture dump file, "DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_ 70142,74.zip" to the DB folder with logs from after this session.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 02, 2020 4:29 pm

The slow startup seems to be what would happen if you had USB devices connected that upset Resolve for whatever reason.

The NFO shows you have a USB audio device of some sort connected, as well as a Creative Live Cam.

Are you sure you've tested disconnecting everything except a standard WIRED keyboard and mouse? And disconnected anything like a BlueTooth USB dongle. Because your NFO would seem to indicate otherwise.

The other thing I notice, and I seriously doubt this would be an issue, but I saw it in another NFO yesterday that was having issues, and it does touch the graphics system, is the Rainmeter app.

Open Task Manager, select the Startup tab, and right click Rainmeter and set it to Disabled. Then restart Windows and see if that has any effect.

And while you are there, also disable the NZXT cam app.
Dwaine Maggart

Agresvig

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 am

Thanks for the advice, Dwaine

My situation has improved - I am able to launch Resolve without issue now.

What caused it? No idea. I followed your advice; unplugged everything, stopped all apps, and slowly added apps and peripherals back in the mix one by one, making sure to restart resolve and/or the PC for every step. I have not yet been able to find the cause of my previous issues. But I also did a lot of cleaning up along the way - updated BIOS, updated drivers, uninstalled apps, cleaned the registry ++

jmshuang

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 am

Sir,

I cannot start Resolve any more. Which works a week ago. Here are the log and system information files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YYE6sX ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cFDYq ... sp=sharing

Please help. Thanks!

James

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm

You have a display connected to the onboard graphics port.

Disconnect that, or move it to the RX5500XT card, and see if that helps.

If not, please send a new Resolve log and NFO file after doing that.
Dwaine Maggart

bcnucs

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 1:23 am

having issues as well, had the older version 15 and just uploaded new version. Trued all of the above whiteout any luck here is the link for my capture log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OKRyQp ... sp=sharing

any suggestions would be awesome! Will not load at all , shows in background of task manager did all of the trcks on youtube nothing- updated graphics card nothing as well.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

bcnucs

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm

will post in a few hours.

bcnucs

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 pm

It's an issue with the Intel HD630 driver.

You have the most current Intel driver for your laptop installed.

I guess the first thing I'd suggest trying it deleting this file, and see if that helps:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_d988becdde0906f6\igdrcl64.dll
Dwaine Maggart

JonLee

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi, I'm having the same issues I think. I've not used Resolve for a few week and came to use it today and its not loading. I've updated NVIDIA drivers and tried rolling that back as well as trying older versions of Resolve. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, rebooted and I've been removing the AppData folders as well.

The error I'm getting in Event Viewer is:

The description for Event ID 2 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver has not been able to initialize
a connection with the GPU. This might be due to out of memory error,
an exhaustion of system resources or too many graphical applications running.
The application will not render correctly.
(pid=15$

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

There is plenty of memory available and this is only happening with Resolve.

I've loaded the CaptureLog and nfo file here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I hope someone can help..

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 11:35 pm

Go to the NVIDIA Driver Downloads page. Select Beta and Older drivers in the lower area.

Search for drivers for your GTX 1050 GPU. Download and install the 452.06 driver.

When you install the driver, select Custom install, and then select Clean install.

If that doesn't help, please send an updated NFO and Resolve log.
Dwaine Maggart
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve