Connect to PostgreSQL over VPN

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

skyfokker

Connect to PostgreSQL over VPN

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi need some help here. I've got a shared database running smoothly on my office network on Resolve 15.2.3 and the database was created fresh with the new 15's server app which generated a key.

I've read its possible to access this database over the internet using VPN. I'm trying out Hamachi VPN (LogMein)
and I'm able to access the video server in the office via smb over the internet from my home office. But I cant figure out how to connect to the database. I've tried dragging the resolve key in, connecting by adding in the local IP address of the video server (192.168.0.***) or the VPN IP address but both don't work. All running macs but would need to add a PC into the mix at the next step.

Please advise as I'm really stuck now...

Igor Riđanović

Re: Connect to PostgreSQL over VPN

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Make sure it all works locally. When you successfully connect one or more local Resolves to the server, connecting over the VPN will use the exact same client setup. In other words, VPN does not add any additional complexity to the setup. Any remote machines will be on the same subnet as everyone else.

Share your experience when you establish the connection. I'm curious to know if the VPN introduces too much latency for the Resolve 15 Live Save feature.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

roger.magnusson

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 pm

In my case, the VPN connection (provided by a Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway) puts the VPN client on a separate subnet. After I allowed that subnet to connect to the PostgreSQL server by adding it to pg_hba.conf it works.

I wouldn't use live save through VPN unless it's on a very fast connection though. Better with a slight pause for autosave on an interval instead of a hiccup on every click.

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 am

Hi,

could you explain what exactly is the information is you have to write in the .conf file to allow a subnet to access the database?

did you do it with terminal commands or is it possible to do this in a text editor?

cheers
Jörg-Mark

skyfokker

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I have managed to set up the posgreSQL server on my NAS and am able to connect to it locally from the macs in the network. VPN has been setup on the NAS and am able to connect via VPN remotely to the NAS. But am not able to the server remotely with VPN established.

[quote="roger.magnusson"]In my case, the VPN connection (provided by a Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway) puts the VPN client on a separate subnet. After I allowed that subnet to connect to the PostgreSQL server by adding it to pg_hba.conf it works.

Any idea how to do this and is this the solution?

brediknight

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 11:54 pm

Any VPN performance tips?

Ian Duncan

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 4:34 pm

Backup this file:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.5\data\pg_hba.conf

Edit the original with atom or text editor.

For me, my VPN was on 10.0.10.1 and the local network was on 10.0.0.1

I added:

host all all 10.0.10.0/24 md5

This would allow the database access from my vpn.

Documentation here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/aut ... -conf.html

Also windows firewall can mess with connections from outside the VPN so make sure you allow connections in or disable windows defender/firewall on the machine that is hosting the database.
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

Return to DaVinci Resolve