Cancelled render, can't do anything other than quit

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean-Francois Lepage

Cancelled render, can't do anything other than quit

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Greetings all,

I am running the latest version 15.2.4 (free) and I started a render queue and after a few seconds I stop it. Resolve says job cancelled but I can't do anything other than quit. I can hover some menus but all options are grayed out. I chose quit and it asked if I want to save the project and then Resolve is stuck in a loop, using 34% CPU and 2.3Gb RAM.

Anyone has had that issue? I saw a thread back in version 12.5 that had that.

Cheers!

Earl Green

Re: Cancelled render, can't do anything other than quit

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm

My experience is there is a lag between the time you cancel the render and the time the program becomes responsive to new input. It can take quite a while sometimes. You might try waiting it out once and see if this is the case.

peterjackson

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Yes, I reported that a few days ago here. I think it only happens using the Nvidia encoder, but haven't double checked recently.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

dev_willis

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 4:40 pm

I just had this happen was well. It's not just laggy--it's stuck. I let it sit for more than 30 minutes. Many UI controls are disabled but some still work and the ones that do are as snappy as ever. The top menus are all still responsive but most of the items are disabled including the other pages. Task Manager says the system is basically idle.

The only thing I could do was quit and I couldn't do that also save the project. Answering "yes" the save prompt would just send it back to the stuck GUI. It wouldn't quit until I answered "no" and then it closed immediately.
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6, Nvidia Studio Driver 551.61
  • Threadripper 3960X, RTX 3090 FE, 64GB RAM, 3x 980PRO SSDs
  • Threadripper 1920X, GTX 1070 Ti, 32GB RAM, 3x 960PRO SSDs
  • TrueNAS Mini XL+ 64TB media server
  • Mac Mini M1 project server

Tim Aspeny

PostMon May 29, 2023 6:32 pm

dev_willis wrote:I just had this happen was well. It's not just laggy--it's stuck. I let it sit for more than 30 minutes. Many UI controls are disabled but some still work and the ones that do are as snappy as ever. The top menus are all still responsive but most of the items are disabled including the other pages. Task Manager says the system is basically idle.

The only thing I could do was quit and I couldn't do that also save the project. Answering "yes" the save prompt would just send it back to the stuck GUI. It wouldn't quit until I answered "no" and then it closed immediately.

This is my experience on DaVinci Resolve Studio 18. Anyone know if this will ever be fixed? What's the purpose of the Stop Render button, if the program must be completely closed to actually make it stop?

Uli Plank

PostTue May 30, 2023 1:05 am

I think this happens only with problematic renders, which would normally not finish anyway.
I can stop a render that would finish (most of mine do) and it stops and waits for my next input. So, it doesn't seem to be a simple bug.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 30, 2023 4:04 am

dev_willis wrote:The only thing I could do was quit and I couldn't do that also save the project. Answering "yes" the save prompt would just send it back to the stuck GUI. It wouldn't quit until I answered "no" and then it closed immediately.

I've occasionally had to cancel out a render when I realized (too late) that I had the wrong Data Burn-In, or -- worse -- I had a burn-in and wanted a clean render, or the wrong aspect ratio, whatever. Usually, it just quits after a second or two's hesitation, which is totally understandable.

Worst case, create a Diagnostics Log, park it on a file-sharing site, and post the link here. Maybe support can help. Just curious: is anything running in the background? We try to have absolutely nothing going on in the background, at least not until the render is completely done.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve