What should I do when the Planar Tracker stops

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ReimusKlinsman

What should I do when the Planar Tracker stops

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 am

More times than not, when I use the planar tracker, it gets confused and stops part way through it's job. I don't know how to get it to start again.

I've tried:
- Restarting from the begining of the clip but changing the search area in hopes that it can track the whole clip. Occasionally that works but still takes a lot of trial and error.
- Changing the search area at the time it fails but I get an error message saying it can't start where there is no tracking data.
- Changing various settings in hopes that I can find something a little more forgiving.

The clips I work with shake around a bit but nothing too extreme and doesn't have anything obscuring the tracking area. I usually select some high contrast things to track. Often times its a tag of white text on a red or blue background but that tends to move around a lot.

Any help would be welcome as I've succumbed to ditching this feature and animating things myself nearly frame by frame.

Marc Wielage

Re: What should I do when the Planar Tracker stops

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am

Use the Interactive function to control what portion of the screen the Tracker is using for reference.

Or consider using the Point Tracker and manually put the points in yourself.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve