could you make a Flatpak for DaVinci Resolve Linux?

• Author

chemel

could you make a Flatpak for DaVinci Resolve Linux?

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 am

Hi developers of Davinci Resolve :) ,
i'm using a deepin linux, and tried to install Davinci Resolve ,but it didn't work.
so , i suggest you to make a flatpak for DaVinci Resolve .
and also ,in this way all the Linux users will can install the app ,in any linux distribuction
could you make a Flatpak package for DaVinci Resolve ? please

more information about Flatpak
https://flatpak.org/

raj47i

Re: could you make a Flatpak for DaVinci Resolve Linux?

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Yes Please, Flatpak has grown a lot and is very dependable now.
A flatpack package would surely make it easier to keep Davinci Resolve up to date as I won't need to download and update it manually.

hendry

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Another vote for flatpak please! Hate dealing with the 32bit PNG dependencies under Arch and flatpak would hide the mess away!

Thank you!

chrisabruce

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:47 pm

+1

RCModelReviews

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 6:02 pm

+1.2112765
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 am

A good idea, though I doubt it would happen - unless BMD adopt a use at your own peril policy for it.

They probably should, as it would make a lot of users happy.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

marcobubke

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 am

Flatpak would be really useful. I am not sure it will work with OpenCL? Maybe Vulkan support is needed?

FelixLeclerc

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 4:25 pm

+1

This would be terrific.

ItsAMeMicah

PostTue May 09, 2023 7:46 pm

+1
Cameras: Cinema Camera 6K Full Frame, PCC6K Pro, 2x PCC4K, a6300.
Editor: DaVinci Resolve Studio
VFX: Blender & Fusion
Graphics: Inkscape & GIMP
Capture: Decklink Quad HDMI 4K

goshansp

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 11:51 am

+1
The pieces are out there, ready for harvest. Can someone please wrap it up and:
1. Bring to Flathub https://github.com/pobthebuilder/resolve-flatpak
2. Integrate AMD GPUs https://github.com/pobthebuilder/rocm-flatpak/issues/1

Reference: https://discourse.flathub.org/t/davinci ... equest/842

To offer DaVinci Resolve as Flatpak would neatly decouple the application from the OS while making it available to a wide range of distros. For example Fedora Silverblue cannot be used with the current/old installer. Flatpak is the way to go IMHO. Thanks for your consideration.

goshansp

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 4:35 am

It seems that unfortunately we're lacking a last piece to achieve this. Apparently, the current download/registration cannot be integrated with existing options on Flathub as discussed here: https://discourse.flathub.org/t/davinci ... uest/842/6

TLDR; Flathub-builder does not allow network access. AFAIK the sources need to be downloaded from a direct URL via the manifest. In order for this to work, Blackmagic would need to provide a public URL for direct download of the installer without any registration. The reason is to ensure that the build is always reproducible. Flatpak is on the path to becoming the industry standard and I am convinced this would be the way to go. Flatpak is the only way to install Resolve to immutable OS like Fedora Silverblue. I assume the same story goes for Snap packaging.

Dear Blackmagic, can you please provide/enable a URL which does not require registration? As a reference, this is how Steam is downloaded via direct URL: https://github.com/flathub/com.valvesof ... .Steam.yml

kwemo4276

PostThu Jul 13, 2023 9:45 pm

+1

jmalmsten

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 7:02 pm

I add my vote. The lack of a sensible, reliable method of installing Resolve on most Linux Distro's is the last thing stopping me from switching from Windows to Linux. Pretty much all other software I use are open source but as long as Blender and Kdenlive has not reached Resolve's level for video editing , I am waiting for Resolve to make something easily installable on Linux Distro's

jamedia

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 9:19 pm

jmalmsten wrote:I add my vote. The lack of a sensible, reliable method of installing Resolve on most Linux Distro's is the last thing stopping me from switching from Windows to Linux. Pretty much all other software I use are open source but as long as Blender and Kdenlive has not reached Resolve's level for video editing , I am waiting for Resolve to make something easily installable on Linux Distro's

The problem is Linux is a moving target. It is not a stable platform (it is also not secure). It can get broken at any time by anyone. So BMD are on a hiding to nothing. They will support one distribution and if you want to use a different one it is at your own risk, which seems reasonable to me.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

RCModelReviews

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 10:47 pm

It is not a stable platform (it is also not secure). It can get broken at any time by anyone

As compared to Windows which is also not particularly stable and is regularly broken by nothing other than an automated Windows update.

As for security... I feel far more confident running Linux than Windows, from a security perspective.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

jamedia

PostThu Aug 10, 2023 8:49 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
It is not a stable platform (it is also not secure). It can get broken at any time by anyone

As compared to Windows which is also not particularly stable and is regularly broken by nothing other than an automated Windows update.

As for security... I feel far more confident running Linux than Windows, from a security perspective.

You can feel what you like but it is incorrect. Linux is flaky.

For about 20 years I have worked with a company that produced Sw debug systems. These can be hosted on Linux. However, like BMD they only support one Linux and for anything else you are on your own. The problem being there are 100s of Linux distributions (there are actually 1000's of them but moist are obsolete and unsupported) Unless you get a pre-built one compiling it your self means it is different to others of the same distro and version number.

As for Linux security itself, Several of the tools I worked with have been used to analyze the Linux kernel and distros. The code is not good. Some is quite good, but most is mediocre to poor with lots of problems in it. There are multiple cases of malware being inserted to the Kernel by ghost contributors. This is why Linux is banned from critical systems. (see Do178 for aviation)

As a desktop OS Windows is a safer bet than Linux. Linux may be (mostly) POSIX compliant, but it is not a UNIX.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

wikrap

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 11:07 pm

It is not a stable platform (it is also not secure).

Linux is flaky.

And that's why it's running 38.8% of the top 10,000 websites, 100% of top 500 supercomputers and it's kernel runs on vast majority of IOT appliances, android smarphones/tablets, smart TVs, gaming consoles, Tesla cars etc. Did I already proved my point that Your opinion about GNU/Linux is in fact an OPINION and to be precise, opinion not based on facts.
The problem being there are 100s of Linux distributions

And 3-4 major ones with compatible derivatives. However flatpacks/appimages etc. are a solution for this. We're not living in 2014 anymore so please revise Your view with current situation. You don't have to package Your app for 100 distros and dozen of architectures to be compatible with every distro or choose to support one to be safe.

Several of the tools I worked with have been used to analyze the Linux kernel and distros.

And I understand You had the pleasure to examine MacOS and Windows kernel too and it turned out to be well optimised and 100% safe code? No? Oh..

There are multiple cases of malware being inserted to the Kernel by ghost contributors.

Can You direct me to any place documenting this incidents? Obviously I can find info about inserting code with deliberately added vulnerabilities but a malware? And multiple times? That's thrilling and I can't wait to read more about it.

This is why Linux is banned from critical systems. (see Do178 for aviation)

Oh boy. It's not "banned". It's just not approved as it's not designed as RTOS system. Same for ANY desktop OS so it's not even an argument in this debate You started. BTW there are RTOS kernels in FOSS world and also ones approved in Do178 eg. LynxOS.

As a desktop OS Windows is a safer bet than Linux

With no public audit and their devs contantly occupied with nonsense like adding VR functionality to any Windows tool and then provisionally riping it off to mold Windows 11 which is rougly a 20GB of blob to maintain? With no fully grown app repository and users scavenging random sites for executables? With bunch of apps working only ran as admin user and users accustomed to trying it? That's not a role model for safety but a miracle that it works somehow.

jamedia

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm

Most of your conclusions are wrong.
Dangerously so.

As you mention LynxOS. It is NOT a Linux in any way whatsoever, nor is it Free or Open Source.
Though I have seen the source code for it.

Which open Source RTOS were you refering to?
www.JAmedia.uk

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 pm

Come on.
Even if Linux were unsafe (which is not the case), the FR is not about the subject.

Big +1 for me.

I have used Windows for decades. But I see more and more people really switching to Linux, especially with the coming end of support for Windows 10 (and because it's getting really easy to install and use).

I totally removed Windows 10 from a laptop and put Pop_OS on it recently. My plan for the future is to get into a place where I can use both and slowly only use Linux. 

I'm learning about the basics of Linux, mostly with Mint and PopOS, and I've learned about what Flatpak was not long ago.

If this can make Davinci Resolve work without problems on more distros than the two recommended by BMD and be able to update the program easily (which is a feature of Flatpak, right? I'm a noob.

PS.

I have Glasswire installed on my Windows machine. Launching the install of the new Resolve version pinged Microsoft's CDN servers. :?
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

jamedia

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 7:50 pm

Videoneth wrote:Come on.
Even if Linux were unsafe (which is not the case),

I'm learning about the basics of Linux,

If you are "learning about the basics of Linux" you can't make the preceding comment that you know Linux is safe.
www.JAmedia.uk

Videoneth

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 8:47 pm

jamedia wrote:
Videoneth wrote:Come on.
Even if Linux were unsafe (which is not the case),

I'm learning about the basics of Linux,

If you are "learning about the basics of Linux" you can't make the preceding comment that you know Linux is safe.

Yes I can.

I don't have to put my hand in the fire to know it's dangerous. Many things in life are learned by the experiences shared other people knowing what they are doing. General concepts, how things work, can be assimilated by almost anyone.

If someone shouldn't use Linux and prefer Windows, for security reason (or else), you are the one who needs to back up your claims with solid data. Especially when the FR is not about anything else than supporting Flatpak.

I'm learning the basics of "using" it. But I'm interested in anything computers for 30+ years, I learned (and used) about anything related to it. Hardware, software,... Linux Included.

Every single piece of informations about the subjects of : security, openness, customization - go positively mostly towards OS based on Unix/Linux.

As if Windows couldn't be broken at anytime by anyone, even without anyone's intervention. When you say something like that, you have to back it up with data, when the experience of people is the total opposite.

BMD is already supporting Linux with : Rocky Linux 8.6 and CentOS 7.3.

I personally would love to see them supporting Linux even more with this FR. The more people are discovering open source projects, and Linux ingeneral, the better it is.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

jamedia

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:18 pm

Videoneth wrote:The more people are discovering open source projects, and Linux in general, the better it is.[/b]

The Linux people have been saying this for the last 30 years... This year/next year Linux will be there.
It hasn't and won't
It has taken the server market but it won't take the desktop for the reasons Linus Torvold keeps saying.
You yourself have just highlighted the reason why.
www.JAmedia.uk

Videoneth

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 12:05 am

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03 ... -desktops/

Being against a free open source operating system that doesn't spy on you and is stable is pretty wild honestly.

But it doesn't matter.

Are you for or against a flatpak for Davinci Resolve? Because the FR is about this subject.
Since BMD is supporting Linux already, it would be cool if people would push for more freedom, even those who are not interesting in using open source softwares.

----------

It is important to understand the problems of the current model of packaging applications to understand the existence of Flatpak:

Code: Select all
Issues of current model of packaging

Duplicated work packaging apps: many Linux distributions come with their own package manager, package format and repository. This requires a lot of maintainers to package the same application in various distributions, or the application developer to learn the language of each format and then package the application in those distributions, or ignore most distributions and package and support a couple of distributions. This makes the Linux desktop a difficult platform for software vendors to target.

Limited to apps that are packaged: not all applications are natively available in every Linux distribution. If an application is not available in a specific distribution, the user will have to rely on manually downloading the archive of the application, extracting it and hoping the application will launch.

Limited to distributions that have the apps: the user is limited to the number of distributions that have the needed applications for them to properly setup their workflow. This reduces the amount of distributions that can be suitable for a user.

Hard to innovate in OS space: the maintainers of the distributions have to spend a lot of time packaging applications to make the distribution suitable for the end user, instead of focusing on their end goals. This delays the progress of each distribution.

Old and outdated packages: LTS distributions often have very old versions of applications packaged natively. Bug reproducibility is hindered by the different environments that applications are run in, and application developers often have little control over how their application is packaged by distributions.

You don't want to have Linux getting even better? ;)
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

jamedia

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 10:35 am

Videoneth wrote:https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03/linux-continues-growing-market-share-reaches-4-of-desktops/

Being against a free open source operating system that doesn't spy on you and is stable is pretty wild honestly.

Since BMD is supporting Linux already, it would be cool if people would push for more freedom, even those who are not interesting in using open source softwares.

Linux is NOT stable, and you have no idea if it spies on you or not.
Have you analysed the source code?

BTW it is not "Linux" spying on you buy any one of the thousands of unknown contributors to the kernel and distros can spy on you or put backdoors in.

da Vinci supported ONE and only one custom Linux. BMD only support one obsolete Linux and one other distribution.

I am not sure what "freedom" had to do with a commercial business.
www.JAmedia.uk

mcdonc

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 12:00 am

It would be nice to have Resolve as a flatpak or appimage or snap or what-have-you, but its need to integrate tightly with graphics drivers that must talk to hardware but that are not shipped in the kernel fights a bit against the utility of packaging it this way, because each distribution will use a different version of the driver, or maybe put the driver libraries in a different location that requires some manual steps before they're found, etc.

That said, some work has been done to containerize Resolve such that you can run it via Docker. It's basically a set of scripts that create a container that runs CentOS which knows about your graphics hardware. It only works if you use Nvidia. https://github.com/fat-tire/resolve

Another way to try to use it on arbitrary Linux distros would be via Nix and NixGL: https://github.com/nix-community/nixGL . I've tried making it work on Ubuntu using this, but it currently does not. I'm not sure why not; it would be super useful if it did.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests