Mini Panel Direct Ethernet Connection

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

buckbito

Mini Panel Direct Ethernet Connection

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 6:22 pm

We are prepping for a Mini Panel purchase. I have searched this forum (plus goggling) and not found an answer to this. We have a cable length, 16+ feet, that should be dodgy for USB connection and I'd like to use the computer's LAN2 port for direct connection to the Mini Panel without going through a router or switch.
A) Is this possible?
B) Is so, is a crossover cable required?
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etherne ... over_cable)

For those wondering, we are out of network drops in this part of the workspace, so we'd need to run a new drop from the switch to get the Mini Panel on the regular office network.
-Thanks in advance for help!

Greg_E

Re: Mini Panel Direct Ethernet Connection

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 pm

An active USB extension would get you working.

Otherwise, if it is like the Avid/Euphonix panels, then yes a crossover cable would be used. That said, I don't own a mini panel, so they may have built in a better ethernet interface and it doesn't require the crossover cable, but not sure. Crossover would be safe and easy to buy or make.

Alternate would be to buy a cheap little multiport switch and connect the panel through the new switch.

Second alternate would be to buy a good mulitport switch, at least as fast as the regular network, connect network line from main network, connect computer, connect panel. Not ideal, but it would probably work unless the panel needs to be on its own VLAN, this would require a little more costly switch.

buckbito

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 am

Greg_E wrote:An active USB extension would get you working.

Good to know! I had seen some posts (my first reply attempt let me know that I can't post URLs, so no link to post: "Mini Panel connection/performance problems") that made me worry about long USB runs and hubs.
I guess we can try either an USB extension or the ethernet and see what works...

Greg_E

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Ethernet would be a cheap thing if you have the tools to make it. Good USB extensions will run more than $15usd, and some can be better than others. If the panel has problems with hubs, ten an extension may not be a good first choice because the extensions are effectively just a small hub on the end of a long cable.

Return to DaVinci Resolve