Davinci Resolve 15: FX crashing and Film Grain

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Editriessa

Davinci Resolve 15: FX crashing and Film Grain

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

Hi all,

I’m just enquiring please about applying film grains with Davinci Resolve 15, and if anyone possibly knows if there’s a method to do so other than via opening FX in Color? My Davinci crashes with any attempt at applying FX, which I discovered (thanks to the awesome people within this forum) was due to my laptop being under-powered in CPU, RAM, space and GPU. I did a disk cleanup, and it allowed me to play with colour grading, but any other work in effects leads to an automatic crash. So any clever little grain application hack that might bypass the road to crash-town, would be mighty appreciated!

Also, and this is more of a creative geared query, but does anyone have thoughts/insight on whether a film grain is better used to provide a consistent visual effect, or if grains used scene by scene are a recognized creative choice Eg. A grittier grain for the escape scene, then a smoother one for the dinner scene etc.?

Many thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve