Davinci Resolve Studio crashes on XML import from Sony Vegas

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

houldsworth1

Davinci Resolve Studio crashes on XML import from Sony Vegas

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 am

I have someone sending me an XML projecct timeline from Sony Vegas. This used to work in earlier versions but now, every time I try to load it, it seems to go through the motions and then DR just shuts down.

DR Studio v15.2.3.015 (I also tried the latest one on the laptop - same result)
Dell i7 16GB ram, GTX 1060 6GB ram.

Files including the XML, crash log and video clips can be found in this dropbox location:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9h0k5bbjzes ... pXjha?dl=0

Any help very much appreciated. I need to get this to someone in the next two days and really, really want to render from the 4k versions I have and not the downgraded 1080P versions I gave the person editing.

Thanks!!

houldsworth1

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio crashes on XML import from Sony V

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 3:47 am

OK - no update here. But here is what I have found so far.

BM Support responded with the following.

"Hello, Barry,
I know I reported a similar case earlier. So the Resolve team is aware of this behavior and this has been logged.

As a current workaround try using a third party application like Adobe Premiere Pro, assuming it will open that XML, to produce a new XML."

Since I don't own those programs and (by some bizarre implementation of Murphy's law) all of the people I know that do are currently traveling, that isn't an option.

However, I did install an earlier version (12.5) on my son's PC since I recall that working before and...IT WORKED!! No problems loading the XML timeline into that.

Now for the next problem. I export as a DR project from 12.5 and when I load it in 15.3 it is blank. (???)

So, then I tried exporting as an XML from 12.5 and...it crashes my PC.

So, unless I downgrade my main PC (I can't use my son's - he is back to college tomorrow) I appear to still be stuck.

Peter Cave

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:39 am

You could try FCPXML or AAF exports of the timeline from your Resolve 12.5 version too & see if they are more reliable when exporting.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

houldsworth1

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 am

Peter Cave wrote:You could try FCPXML or AAF exports of the timeline from your Resolve 12.5 version too & see if they are more reliable when exporting.

Thanks. I did try that too but it gave the same crash as importing the Sony Vegas file directly. There's obviously something funky in that project - I think it's something to do with the fact that (for some reason) they used a drop frame timecode which the original video clips do not have.

Peter Cave

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 am

houldsworth1 wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:You could try FCPXML or AAF exports of the timeline from your Resolve 12.5 version too & see if they are more reliable when exporting.

Thanks. I did try that too but it gave the same crash as importing the Sony Vegas file directly. There's obviously something funky in that project - I think it's something to do with the fact that (for some reason) they used a drop frame timecode which the original video clips do not have.

It sounds like you need the Vegas project to be sorted out before you try anything else. Timecode format mismatch is usually a problem on ANY software.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

houldsworth1

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 am

Peter Cave wrote:It sounds like you need the Vegas project to be sorted out before you try anything else. Timecode format mismatch is usually a problem on ANY software.

Thanks for the input.

I would agree were it not for the fact that it works fine in DR12.5 but won't work in 15.2.

At this point, I think I am going to import the low-quality video I have, use the clip generator to create the cuts, and then replace the clips with higher quality versions rather than risk losing my database by going back to an earlier version.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 5:15 am

last ditch... can you try exporting an CMX3600 EDL from the 12.5 machine?

- what ever is casueing the v15 machine to hang may not be carried across with an EDL
- run out a screener with source filename and timecode burnt in for refrence when sorting
-try divide and conquer, in the v12.5 break the show into 2 parts and see if either one imports
- break the one that fails in half again, rinse and repete (and hang the v15 machine many times) untill you can narrow down the issue

good luck!

houldsworth1

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 3:57 am

Dermot Shane wrote:last ditch... can you try exporting an CMX3600 EDL from the 12.5 machine?

- what ever is casueing the v15 machine to hang may not be carried across with an EDL
- run out a screener with source filename and timecode burnt in for refrence when sorting
-try divide and conquer, in the v12.5 break the show into 2 parts and see if either one imports
- break the one that fails in half again, rinse and repete (and hang the v15 machine many times) untill you can narrow down the issue

good luck!

Thanks. I had already manually handled the edits that I needed as I was burning too much time trying to solve the issue and the client needed the video today.

Hopefully, they will fix it before I need it again!

Return to DaVinci Resolve