fixed - Broken DB?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Zeb Severson

fixed - Broken DB?

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:06 pm

I was using Davinci 15.03.008 on my Mac with all media and DB on an external hard disk and I had a local DB as well. I was using the external DB when my local hard drive filled up and I couldn't save my project, I couldn't even close Resolve. I accidentally deleted one of the folders where the project cache was stored. The cache fold was displaying a size larger than my whole hard drive capacity. I couldn't reload the program, I received a crash report. I have subsequently tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, Davinci fails to load. Below is the crash report. I tried a customized and standard install, with no change.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FlI ... sp=sharing

I was assuming I still need to delete residual files from the uninstall but I only saw posts for Windows not Mac.

I'm open to thoughts on what to try next.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Broke PostgreSQL?

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm

That log helps us very little. But at least thanks for not putting it in the thread, like most people do.

For diagnosing Resolve related issues, you can provide us with a couple of important files. One is the Resolve CaptureLogs file, which will contain Resolve log information. Another is your Mac System Profile information in a .spx file, which will provide additional Mac specific log info, plus information on your specific hardware and driver versions.

For the CaptureLogs file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .zip file on your desktop. Run CaptureLogs after a Resolve crash, and before restarting Resolve.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Zeb Severson

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Thank you Dwaine for the clarity.

Below are the logs you asked for and I hope they are helpful. At this point I am not concerned with recovering my last working instance of Resolve rather getting it working again.

Zeb Severson MBP.zip
(336.83 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190322-154617.tgz
(770.26 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 am

Your subject line of "Broke PostgreSQL" is misleading, since you don't have any PostgreSQL databases. You appear to have 2 Disk databases. The standard default local disk database, and one called externaldb, on storage location: /Volumes/Untitled/DaVinci DB

What I see is that all was working OK at 11:35 on 3-22.

Then at 11:40 a project save attempt failed due to a full hard drive. For the next 8 minutes several more failed project save attempts. Then it crashed.

At 11:49, Resolve launched again, and Project Diane Video 4a (the project that failed multiple saves above) was loaded. Happy to see it made it through all the failed saves above.

At 11:50, the next project save attempt failed, due to the full hard disk. It tried for the next 9 minutes to save the project, then apparently crashed again, at 11:59.

At 12:00, attempted Resolve launch failed. Over the next 52 minutes, 24 more failed launch attemtps.

It seems by 12:00 the system was in too much distress to even launch Resolve.

And now, the Resolve Preferences config files are borked. One borked at 11:58 and one at 12:19. Maybe one from the disk full and one from a reinstall attempt? Can't tell.

I'm not in a position to look at the Mac spx file over the weekend. So I can't tell the status of your storage. But, is the system drive full, or is there plenty of free space on that. And is your external drive full, or plenty of space?

From a backup copy of one of the config files, this was the first location in Resolve Prefs - Media Storage: /Users/zcseverson/Movies Be aware that the cache and Gallery files will go to that path by default. That would be an easy way to fill up the system drive, which is what I'm suspecting you did. If so, you need to clean that up.

Are you concerned with any of your existing Resolve projects. If not, the best thing to do, after clearing up space on the system drive, would be to do a "clean" Resolve install. Below is a process for that, but be aware that it will wipe ALL Resolve project and config data from your system.

Clean Resolve Install on Mac (Wipes all Resolve data!!!)

Start by uninstalling Resolve, with the Uninstall selection in the DaVinci Resolve folder in the Mac Applications folder.

Next, in Finder, trash the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder.

Then trash the /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder.

Then install Resolve 15.3

Launch Resolve and the onboarding video will run, then the Quick Setup option, which you should do, then hopefully Resolve runs again.

Good luck.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Zeb Severson

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 4:12 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your subject line of "Broke PostgreSQL" is misleading, since you don't have any PostgreSQL databases.
I apologize for my Inaccurate subject, I meant to avoid a vague one.

Your summary of events is correct. Below is a little context incase it's helpful to someone else in the future.

Everything was working fine then I started getting the notification for a full hard disk from OS and failed project save. The projects I was working on were on the external HD. I only have a 256GB local drive so keeping projects and files separate is ideal.

The instance at 11:49 or 11:50 I couldn't close Resolve except through terminating the program. Through investigating I checked the cache folder, which I assumed cleared the data in between Resolve instances. Interestingly I only have a 256GB local drive and the cache folder indicated 300GB+. That is about when I deleted a folder in cache that was last used the day prior, thinking it was old data not related to that days projects.

The borked config is probably when I tried changing the cache folder in preferences to the external HD location.

I appreciate your time over the weekend to reply, but don't look into the six file unless I can't get Resolve back running in which case I'll leave a comment here, either way.

Zeb Severson

Re: Broken DB?

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Dwaine,

After removing the cache folder Resolve still wouldn't start up, it was worth a shot.

I followed your steps to completely uninstall Resolve and reinstall and it worked. The important projects were recovered that were on the external DB.

I appreciate your attention with this issue.
Zeb

Return to DaVinci Resolve