White Text is grey. Davinci YRGB Color Managed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Binsfeld

White Text is grey. Davinci YRGB Color Managed

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 am

Hi,

When in "Davinci YRGB Color Managed"

When I create an open FX text in the timeline, even when I chose white as a color, I get at grey result.

Same thing with a solid color.
I guess it has something to do with my color managment.
Here are my needed parameters for my camera/project

Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 10.52.02.png
Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 10.52.02.png (143.78 KiB) Viewed 6615 times

How could I bypass this for my graphic elements ?

Thanks,

Jean

Tom Early

Re: White Text is grey. Davinci YRGB Color Managed

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am

there are multiple threads on this already, but basically it's because in RCM, Resolve assigns generators a colour space of Rec709 (Scene), and for Fusion I believe it assigns Linear gamma, though I haven't checked this recently.

This didn't used to be the case, and I've requested that things change back to how they were, but as yet to no avail.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Binsfeld

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks Tom,

I'll wait for it to be addressed like the rest of us then :)

aerofart

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 pm

So what is the workaround until it gets "fixed?" I never used to have this problem but now it's driving me bonkers. One stupid little thing can waste hours of time trying to troubleshoot. And on top of all of that, I have the same text element in this fusion comp that lays on top of my video, and the text is grey up until a certain point and then it turns white, as I would like it to be. There are no keyframes that I can see that would cause this change, and I've bypassed all nodes downstream from the text and sent the text node straight to MediaOut, to no avail.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 9:58 pm

Check this thread : https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=130735#p709513

Maybe the solution I got can work for your problem.

And I'll past the answer I got on it down below (I posted the screenshot of the settings on the other thread) :

Heiko Thies wrote:I had the same problem recently on a small project with white text in davinci wide gamut. If you have value fields for the RGB values available, you can enter numbers bigger then 1.0 to increase the brightness. It does not seem to help with color picker fields where you can only pick full white through the system color picker settings.
Another way that seems to work is after selecting davici wide gamut, go back into the dropdown and select custom instead. That opens up all the settings. So you can set color space to davinci wide gamut and the brightness levels to SDR 100 (assuming you still want to grade Rec.709 SDR but use the wide gamut). Also this opens up the setting for the graphics white level. I'm not sure if this has any influence for SDR grading or just for HDR output, but try to play with that values and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for that!! I just tried it and ... white is... white on the titles :) I really appreciate the tips.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

vic_riley

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Unfortunately, changing the timeline luminance is a workaround only applicable to Rec709-only outputs. If you're grading HDR, limiting the timeline luminance to 100 nits is not a feasible solution. Also, the same issue persists using an ACES workflow in DaVinci, where one cannot even set a specific timeline luminance.

This makes Text+ and any Fusion titles unusable in a color managed workflow. The new "bypass color management" option doesn't help either.

Videoneth

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 am

vic_riley wrote:Unfortunately, changing the timeline luminance is a workaround only applicable to Rec709-only outputs. If you're grading HDR, limiting the timeline luminance to 100 nits is not a feasible solution. Also, the same issue persists using an ACES workflow in DaVinci, where one cannot even set a specific timeline luminance.

This makes Text+ and any Fusion titles unusable in a color managed workflow. The new "bypass color management" option doesn't help either.

So it's still a real problem that needs to be fixed then? And the "solution" can only work for my particular situation?
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:27 am

There is a setting for this:

Graphics white level.png
Graphics white level.png (101.15 KiB) Viewed 6159 times

I can highly recommend the new tutorial from Rippletraining by Alexis van Hurkman to discover all the possibilities of the new RCM.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

vic_riley

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am

Uli Plank wrote:There is a setting for this:

Graphics white level.png

I can highly recommend the new tutorial from Rippletraining by Alexis van Hurkman to discover all the possibilities of the new RCM.

Unfortunately, the Graphics White setting doesn't affect Text+ or Fusion titles, only regular Text – no matter if one is using ACES or RCM and independent from the "bypass color management" checkbox.

Binsfeld

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 1:46 pm

Problem still here in R17 :(

"Text" = ok, white is white
"Text+" = Not ok, white is grey

(In ACES)
Last edited by Binsfeld on Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Videoneth

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Binsfeld wrote:Problem still here in R17 :(

"Text" = ok, white is white
"Text+" = Not ok, white is grey

I just tested with the new beta, 17.1, the problem is still there.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

nick.payne

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 am

Working solution on 17.0.

1. Using "Lightbox" I grouped all the Fusion Text+ compositions
  2. I then selected a "Group Pre-Clip" node
  3. Drag the Open FX Color Space Transform effect to the node
  4. Set the "Output Gamma" to "Gamma 2.4" -- i.e. to match my output gamma set in Resolve Color Management settings

N

Ale_Zakko

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:00 pm

The big problem is that on white color you can see if it's white or grey, but all color palette it's affected by this issue, so you can't use the wide gamut of your fusion comp has some colors...

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 am

Just to be clear this is still a problem, right?

*I'm asking because my fusion text turns grey in Wide Gamut. I have to revert back to rec 709 which sucks because overall color management is a lot easier. Is there a fix for this? Putting a color space transform node in fusion after the text does nothing unfortunately.

Ale_Zakko

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:29 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Just to be clear this is still a problem, right?

*I'm asking because my fusion text turns grey in Wide Gamut. I have to revert back to rec 709 which sucks because overall color management is a lot easier. Is there a fix for this? Putting a color space transform node in fusion after the text does nothing unfortunately.

Yep...
:(

Videoneth

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 10:41 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Just to be clear this is still a problem, right?

Same here, I don't bother anymore. I went back to rec 709 (I really liked grading SDR content in the Davinci WD intermediate color space), but between fusion and other stuff, it's too complicated for me . It never works for me and there are too many weird things with colors never matching my timeline.

If I set my output to rec 709 2.4, I would like to the same image in all the tabs of Resolve. I recently imported a fusion comp, the colors were way off.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Videoneth

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 5:07 pm

Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Ale_Zakko

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Finished!!! Tomorrow I will test it! I hope that Black magic will add a default node with this settings on next update..

NickMDal

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 4:18 am

Would this be related? I'm using 17.4.6

Using a white paint brush in Fusion to erase some text on a png with a white background.

Looks normal in Fusion but is grey on the Edit page (against image white background). Unlike this thread, white looks white in Fusion.

Color Mgmt is set to DaVinci YRGB Color Managed. CPM is HDR and output is rec.709.
Resolve Studio 18.6
Win 10 Home (22H2) 19045.2728

ASRock X570 Taichi w/TB3 AIC R2.0
ASUS ProArt PA248QV 24.1
2 Acer 1080p LCDs
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB

Apple ProRes and ProRes RAW
Lots of fast SSDs

BMD Micro Panel

venison

PostWed May 18, 2022 7:00 am

White text+ graphics are still grey with various HDR export settings in Resolve 18 :cry:
--DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18
--macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
--Apple M1 16GB RAM
--Samsung T5 SSD Drive for DaVinci Resolve project files and cache

bigflavorfilms

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 am

I'm finding that on Text+ titles if I add a Color Space Transform node to the title and set the output gamma to, "Gamma 2.4" the problem is fixed, at least for white text.

ZRGARDNE

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm

NickMDal wrote:Would this be related? I'm using 17.4.6

Using a white paint brush in Fusion to erase some text on a png with a white background.

Looks normal in Fusion but is grey on the Edit page (against image white background). Unlike this thread, white looks white in Fusion.

Color Mgmt is set to DaVinci YRGB Color Managed. CPM is HDR and output is rec.709.

Basically all of Fusion is incompatible with the DWG color space used in the V17 Color management tool. So the behavior you are seeing is what I would expect.

crispin

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:14 pm

bigflavorfilms wrote:I'm finding that on Text+ titles if I add a Color Space Transform node to the title and set the output gamma to, "Gamma 2.4" the problem is fixed, at least for white text.

Wow -- this worked for me so far.

ZRGARDNE

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:56 am

venison wrote:White text+ graphics are still grey with various HDR export settings in Resolve 18 :cry:

Correct, Notice how many Black Magic employees have commented on this thread.... They refuse to acknowledge the problem exists, so I don't expect a solution from them any time soon.

Return to DaVinci Resolve