Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ellenoire1

Re: Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi
My Davinci will start but not load. It stays on the toolbar but never will maximize. I saw a youtube video saying to upload my log file here.
Thanks
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-062021_194555.zip
(94.01 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 12:12 am

It's very possible that the R7 iGPU that is part of your AMD APU is not adequate to run Resolve.

And you don't appear to have the minimum required system RAM on your system, but that's not causing THIS issue.

Someone with an R9 AMD GPU had similar issues with the AMD 21.4.1 graphics driver that you currently have installed. Reverting to the 21.2.3 driver made their R9 work, so definitely try that. If that doesn't help, your R7 iGPU is probably too old to run Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

seanmcb3

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 3:03 am

Hello. My Resolve won't open. It worked great for months but crashed today and here I am. I tried just about all the methods outlined in Scott Fichter's video to fix it but none seemed to work.

Here's a link to the log file. If you could give it a look and let me know what could be wrong I'd be grateful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Txg9-d ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Your Google Drive linked is secured, and needs access credentials.

Please make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

KevalP

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 pm

NEW QUERY

Hi Dwaine,

I am using the software (initially version 16 and now version 17 from past 2 monts) on my new Lenovo Ryzen 7 laptop. It started hanging up a lot while I was editing 4k Drone footage. Upon checking few things realised that bcoz of Cache files and Optimized media, my System drive(C) became full on Memory. So, I went into user folder and deleted over 150 gb of cache files from the folders. Now since that day, I am not able to open Davinci Resolve. When i double click, the blue circle of 'loading' comes but it goes away after 5 secs.

I tried everything that experts suggested on Youtube/ chats on this forums as well as other internet sites on likely problems: Compatability troubleshooter, Compatability with Windows 8, restricting firewall, uninstalled and installed zillion times etc...but nothing seems to work.

I even downloaded the older version (16) again and installed it, but still doesn't open.

Attaching .jpeg version of NFO file as its not allowing me to attach .nfo files.
NFO file.jpg
NFO file.jpg (206.78 KiB) Viewed 8312 times

Also, Common Log file is not available as I uninstalled and re-installed the software so many times...its a 1KB file with no data

Pls help, i am in middle of a big video and I dont want to switch to another software :(

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

KevalP

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Attaching link of Dropbox herewith which contains Capture logs and NFO file. Since I am not allowed to post URL, I am removing dropbox dot com forward slash before the 'sh'. Sorry for the inconvenince but the space thing was also not working.

sh/bvhwu757ezcirdc/AAB6kN7MeSVR3gwmtpkh6tnOa?dl=0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 10:36 pm

You sent the CaptureLogs.bat file itself.

You need to RUN the CaptureLogs.bat file. And send the file it generates.
Dwaine Maggart

KevalP

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:49 am

Hi,

I sent actual files bcoz dont know why but I am not able to find the .zip version of log files on my system, let alone desktop.
Attaching the error msg that is coming when i run the Capturelogs file
Log file error.jpg
Log file error.jpg (80.54 KiB) Viewed 8247 times

This file is no where located on my system. And its not a dot zip version problem because I can see other zip files and I could extract them. So not able to identify the problem.

seanmcb3

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your Google Drive linked is secured, and needs access credentials.

Please make it an open link.

sorry about that. Here is a new link that should be open.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Txg9-d ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 am

@Sean: Your config.dat file is empty, and the backup file for that is missing.

Download the attached zip file. Unzip it. It will unzip a config.dat file.

Put that file in this folder:

C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Overwrite the empty config.dat file that's currently there.

I have this file setup to use your Videos folder as the default cache and stills folder.

Once Resolve launches, open Resolve Preferences with the <CTRL><,> shortcut. Then in Media Storage, choose your desired default cache/stills path (which is the first path in the list), if you don't want to use Videos.

Then Save the preferences. Exit Resolve, and relaunch just to make sure it will still launch.

If it does, go back to the C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences folder and make a copy of config.dat and call it config.dat.bak

If the above does not allow Resolve to start, send another Resolve log.
Attachments
config.zip
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Dwaine Maggart

seanmcb3

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 7:06 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Sean: Your config.dat file is empty, and the backup file for that is missing.

Download the attached zip file. Unzip it. It will unzip a config.dat file.

Put that file in this folder:

C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Overwrite the empty config.dat file that's currently there.

I have this file setup to use your Videos folder as the default cache and stills folder.

Once Resolve launches, open Resolve Preferences with the <CTRL><,> shortcut. Then in Media Storage, choose your desired default cache/stills path (which is the first path in the list), if you don't want to use Videos.

Then Save the preferences. Exit Resolve, and relaunch just to make sure it will still launch.

If it does, go back to the C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences folder and make a copy of config.dat and call it config.dat.bak

If the above does not allow Resolve to start, send another Resolve log.

Hey Dwaine,

I gave it a go. After replacing the contig.dat file Resolve was able to open. But before I could access it I needed to input a code to confirm my credentials. I use the free studio version so I didn't have that. I proceeded to copy the config.dat file and rename it to config.dat.bak. After I did that Resolve wouldn't even open anymore, so I deleted the config.dat.bak file to see if it would at least open. It didn't.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm adding a link below to the new Resolve log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdEQTL ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 4:31 pm

You have the Studio version of Resolve installed. If you don't have a Studio license, you need to install the free version. You download that from the BMD web site Support area for DaVinci Resolve.

The free version downloads are the ones without Studio in the name.

In Windows Control Panel, Programs and Features panel, right click on DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall. Then download the free version and install that.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 12:44 am

Hi Dwaine,

Yes it's me again!

Having accepted that the only way I can open Resolve on this laptop is to disable my Intel Graphics - I have been managing to use it until I have now updated to your latest version.

I disable the Intel graphics, the program opens, I select a new or an old project and the program crashes.
Help!!

Whatever is happening now?

As I am sure you will request - attached is a WeTransfer link to the Log File and the Windows File

https://we.tl/t-KvM3hGCXVJ

Hope you can help,

Many thanks in anticipation,

John

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 am

It appears that after you installed the NVIDIA 462.59 driver, that OpenGL stuff was not properly initializing.

That was not happening when you had 462.31 and 466.11 installed. So I think I'd suggest going back to the 462.31 Studio driver and see if that works better.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 am

Hi Dwaine,

Thanks for your response which I assume follows your download of my log file?

I rolled the NVIDIA driver back as far as it would go - but DaVinci 17.2.1 had a black line around the on screen graphic as it was loading the Fairlight engine - this cleared and and it continued to load the other surfaces. When either starting a new project or trying to open an original project - the program crashed.

I completely uninstalled Resolve and installed 17.2 and despite having the Intel graphics enabled received the welcome message - 'What's new in 17.2' - of course it would not open , so I disabled the Intel graphics - and the same thing happened again and after selecting a project - the program crashed!

I have now updated both graphics to the ones that Windows 10 says is the best for my machine - that is
Intel HD Graphics 530 with the driver 27.20.100.9466 dated 30/03/2021 and NVIDIA GTX1060 driver version 27.21.14.6663 dated 27/05/2021.

If Resolve 17 does not work with these recommended drivers installed - what do you suggest please??

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 am

I'd re-suggest that you go back to the 462.31 driver, which your logs showed was working.

If you tried that and it didn't work, then I assume a Windows update broke something, and I don't have any good guidance for that.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 am

Hi Dwaine,

Did as you suggested and installed 46.231, disabled the Intel driver and it does exactly the same.

It would appear that my laptp and no doubt many other users are going to find that their laptops are not compatible with Davinci Resolve - until maybe graphic driver designers, Microsoft and Black Magic Design take the trouble to find out just what is happening - things have worked perfectly well for years but now.......

Thanks for your help - it is appreciated

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:38 am

John, try doing a clean install of Nvidia Studio driver 462.59. This is what I am currently using with my GTX 1060. I don't have any Intel graphics device enabled on my machine.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Big John

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Ta Charles,

Will try that.

Is your GTX 1060 on a desktop or a laptop??

My main machine which has dual graphics and has all the latest NVIDIA and Intel drivers installed - there is no no problem (except possibly I need more memory!!) however the problem seems to only appear on laptops.

Before this latest problem (following your advice I think) I was happily disabling the Intel driver when I wanted to used Resolve.
interestingly enough once Resolve is running, re-enabling the Intel driver has no effect and Resolve continues to run fine??

Intel have been very pro-active and are looking into this problem at the highest level (especially as ther drivers are being publicly blamed for all the problems!). In the course of testing with Intel it was found that their early drivers did not cause problems - so that is the road that they are currently going down.

Many thanks for your helpful advice and interest

John

Big John

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:46 am

I give up!!

I did a clean install of the NVIDIA driver and it was just the same.

I completely removed Davinci and even the RAW file player and installed the latest 17.2.1

It told me what was new, spent ages loading the Fairlight section - finally got to make a new project - clicked on it and it just goes to a black screen and sits there.

It looks like this machine and Resolve are not compatible - ah well!

I think I might have wasted enough time on a brilliant but temperamental program.

It now just means that I will not be demonstrating Resolve in any of my talks and demos

Any other ideas would be appreciated - if not thanks for your help anyway

Charles Bennett

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:19 am

John, I'm running a desktop PC.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Big John

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 11:56 pm

Thanks for that Charles - the problem only seems to occur with dual graphics laptops especially with NVIDIA 1060

My desktop works ok with dual graphics.

Thanks for your help anyway-it is appreciated.

John

vugslama

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 9:24 am

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 4:45 pm

Your link requires access credentials. Make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

henryW

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 am

Hey Dwayne,

I wanted to test out resolve before I purchased the studio version but I keep getting hit with the same error. It says my gpu isn't supported even thought it meets the requirements (It's a GeForce GTX 1660 Super). If you can help at all I'd really appreciate it. I included my capture logs.
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210719_ 01457.zip
(326.86 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm

That's very odd. Please open the Windows System Information app and select File - Save to generate a .NFO file, and provide that. Perhaps it will have a clue as to why this is happening.
Dwaine Maggart

henryW

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 12:38 am

I made sure all my drivers were up to date too. Thank you again for helping.

Here's the .nfo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oqXnYa ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 3:21 am

Is there some reason you have the NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio installed?

Remove these environment variables and reboot the machine, and I suspect Resolve will be happier:

CUDA_INJECTION32_PATH C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 2020.3\Monitor\Common\Injection32\Nvda.Cuda.Injection.dll

CUDA_INJECTION64_PATH C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 2020.3\Monitor\Common\Injection64\Nvda.Cuda.Injection.dll
Dwaine Maggart

henryW

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Yup that was it, Thank you so much!

hholton

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi there,

I just updated my graphics card to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX3060 ti, and now DaVinci Resolve won't open.

I've tried checking my task manager to see if there was an instance running but no.

I was initially using 16 but after this wouldn't open with the new graphics card i tried updating to 17 but its the same problem. The NVIDIA driver is up to date but i also tried installing an earlier one but this also didn't work. No issues with vpns, or usb stuff plugged in, I am at a loss with what to do!

Here's my log data:
drive.google[dot]com/file/d/1Jkvn7G0X9xyXm1oacK0kS5AfZyeuRHMC/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Hugh

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 1:51 am

Need to also see a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

hholton

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Dwaine,
Here's my NFO - drive.google[dot]com/file/d/1AoyF_Vyi5xg90VC7U0k-WyGqejpZY14g/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for your time!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Even though your Intel UHD630 iGPU is not showing up in the NFO Display area (I assume you have it disabled somehow), the Intel drivers are still installed, and Resolve is not happy with them.

Generally the best way to solve that is using DDU to remove the Intel GPU driver:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

hholton

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 pm

Amazing that's worked now, thank you so much for your help :)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Also need a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

CristianPinzon70

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 11:59 pm

Hey Dwaine!... Same problem here, I was working on my DR 17 then I upgrade up to 17.3 and stop starting. Try several thing that I read in the post but I didn't find a solution yet. I'll let you a drive's link with my ZIP and NFO. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 3:49 am

Your link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

CristianPinzon70

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Done, I'll let you the link again, sorry https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:28 pm

The 17.3 startup issue is being investigated. For now, anyone that had Resolve working in a previous 17 version, and 17.3 won't start, revert to the previous version.

You'll need to uninstall 17.3 to be able to install an older version. The proper way to uninstall Resolve 17.3, is to open the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features panel, and right click DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall. Then you can reinstall the previous version. If you need to download the previous version from the BMD Support site again, and you use the Studio version, make sure you download the version that has Studio in the name. If it doesn't have Studio in the name, it's the free version.

resolve_uninstall.png
resolve_uninstall.png (90.11 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Dwaine Maggart

tompagenet

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 4:22 pm

Hey Dwaine, new user here trying to start with Resolve. I'm sure I'm making some newbie mistakes and am more than happy to invest the time as want to get started with Resolve.

I installed 17.3.1 (Windows 10 64 bit 21H1) and couldn't get it to start - Windows showed the circular loading cursor for a few seconds and then nothing. So, seeing this post, I downloaded 17.2.2 instead, but after installing this I have the same problem - circular cursor for a bit, then nothing.

I've linked to an NFO file from msinfo32 here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PD6aCKSS1kEtH4RCQSeadwTEdrdmFe_e/view?usp=sharing

As I say - thanks very much, and appreciate your time and effort.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Resolve is unhappy with the OpenCL.dll version on your system. This has likely been installed by the Intel iGPU driver. Anton just reported a fix for this, so give this a try. If that doesn't work, there are more things to try:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&start=100#p788745
Dwaine Maggart

tompagenet

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 am

Thanks Dwaine!

I followed Anton's instructions - I already had the "Intel Driver Support Assistant" installed, but when I opened it there was an update available - version 30.0.100.9864 vs 30.0.100.9805 that I had installed. I installed this. After doing this I also checked for the latest nVidia drivers - I have them (471.96). I then tried starting DaVinci Resolve 17.2.2 - same issue; small bit of spinning cursor and then nothing.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 am

Then totally remove the Intel driver using DDU, per the link below.

Then use your Intel Support Assistant to install the driver again.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

Technature

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 am

I've used Da Vinci for a couple of years now and it's randomly started to not start up. I've done everything suggested in this video (Davinci Resolve WON'T OPEN - Easy Fix For Windows 10 - This Tutorial Will Get You Up and Running) and I'm ready to give up.

The last thing it said to do was to try and reach out to Dwaine here, so that's what I'm here for.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210921_ 03053.zip
(135.72 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 4:20 pm

It looks like 17.1.1 was working. Why did you go back to 16.2.8?

For additional troubleshooting, we require a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app, then select the File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Technature

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 am

Both versions randomly do and don't work. I got 16.2.8 to work a few days ago for example, but cannot get it to work again.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:04 pm

Things randomly working/not working like that are typically because you've connected a USB device to the system that Resolve doesn't like.
Dwaine Maggart

ystahmer

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Hey Dwaine,

This is my first post on this forum after reading many threads. First of all I wnated to thank you and the team for your active support for all the users on this forum! It's great to see this kind of activity in the community and from Blackmagic's side.

Now on to my problem. For some time now Davinci Resolve Studio won't start on my computer. Everytime I click on the icon I get the small loading animation from windows, the .exe shows in the task manager briefly and then nothing happens. The program just won't start.

I prepared a .nfo file and created a log file. You can find them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you in advance for you help!
- Davinci Resolve Studio 17.3.2
- Windows 10
- AMD Ryzen 2700X
- 32GB RAM
- Radeon VII, 16GB VRAM, Radeon Software Version 21.8.2

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Your Resolve config.dat and config.dat.bak files have both become corrupted. That's what's preventing Resolve from starting.

In a File Explorer window, go this this folder:

C:\Users\ystah\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

This is a hidden folder, and you may need to modify your File Explorer Options to show hidden files/folders.

Once you are at that folder, delete the config.dat and config.dat.bak files.

Now Resolve should launch. If it still won't launch, send another log and NFO file.

This will reset your Resolve Preferences. So if you had any changes there, check the Preferences and make sure the settings are as desired.

In particular, check the System - Media Storage area. The first path listed there will be the default path for stills and cache files. Make sure that's pointing to the location where you want to store such files.
Dwaine Maggart
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve