Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mustaz

Re: Resolve 16 Studio won't start at all

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Giampiero: For whatever reason, your config files have become corrupt.

Open File Explorer and go to this folder:

C:\Users\domen\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Delete the config.dat and the .config.data files.

Then Resolve should start. Note that any settings you had in Resolve Preferences will be reverted to factory defaults. So if you had changed anything in Preferences, you'll need to set the preferences up as desired again and save them.

Note that the path above is a "hidden" path. To see it, in File Explorer, select the View menu, then Options. In the Folder Options window, select the View tab.

In the Hidden Files and Folders area, select "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Thank you a lot Dwaine, it worked!!

Jacob Christensen

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 pm

Nothing is working. I have tried everything here, and everything in Scott Fichters video. I was told to come here and ask for a Dwaine Maggart. If you could help solve my problem, I would be very happy.

Jacob Christensen

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 pm

I forgot to send my files in previous post whoops. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fa4soY ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 pm

Somehow, all your config files have gotten corrupted.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\ammon\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Delete the config.dat, config.dat.bak and .config.data files.

Now Resolve should start. All the Resolve preferences will be set to their default values. Reselect any Resolve Preference setting changes you had previously made.

If Resolve still doesn't start, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jacob Christensen

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 5:18 pm

Oh my goodness. Thank you so much. You have no idea how long I've been trying to get it to work, and now it does! Thank you again for your help.

parco11parco

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 8:21 pm

:( :( hello i am seeking help with my resolve that wont start at all, i was editing with my hardware
/ryzen 5 3400 g
/ radeon 11 integrated
/16 gb ram ( i know its pretty low but it used to work just fine, resolve crashed and it wont open again,
ive tried task manager clearing, update drivers, usb slots, vpn, even unistallin resolve nothing seems to work
i want to send the capture logs but when i double click no zip file is created
" zip exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
is the message that displays on the cmd
can someone help me please
i got no experience nor skill on these topics
why are my capture logs not being saved or where do i find them?
:) :) :)
please help im aware this is a free service
thanks in advance

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 10:37 pm

If you've followed the standard boilerplate procedure below for generating Resolve logs and an NFO file, and if Capturelogs is not working, you may have your Windows Desktop on OneDrive. If that is the issue, then Unzip the attached file.

The zip contains this file: CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

Copy this file to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Then run CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

This should create the log file.

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Attachments
CaptureLogsOneDrive.zip
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 120 times
Dwaine Maggart

willc_aust

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 9:23 am

Hi Dwaine
Hope you are well. I was wondering if you could please assist me with Resolve Studio 17. Davinci Resolve Studio 17 isn't able to function on my laptop. I have installed and tried version 17.0, 17.1.1, 17.4, 17.4.1 and 17.4.3.

I am however able to use v16.8.2. FYI I purchased the Speed Editor with a free Resolve Studio license however am not am to use the Speed Editor under version 16.

I would greatly appreciated if you could please help me get v17 working.
I have uploaded the capture log and my computer configuration in the following documents:

[*]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HuR4VLetkVNI4AFaCCSxt9pYjE5JPyDm/view?usp=sharing

[*]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C9gMY_2spEvn2-y7QlkaP6hlaVcjpSMy/view?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you need anything else

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 1:05 am

Your logs look similar to a few other recent instances, where the Intel CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications app is installed. That app breaks Resolve.

Look in the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features panel, and see if that is installed. If it is, Uninstalling it should allow Resolve to work.

If this is the case for you, do you have any idea how that got installed on your system?
Dwaine Maggart

willc_aust

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi Dwaine,
Thanks for your quick reply. I had a look and uninstall the item with reference to OpenGL in the application & feature section (its tiny at 14kb). I'm not sure if there is still any CPU Runtime for OpenGL -there isn't any reference to OpenGL. Resolve 17 unfortunately still wouldn't open.
I still have Intel Graphic Command Centre, Intel Driver & Support Assistant, Intel Wireless Bluetooth, Intel Optane Memory & Storage Management.

The laptop is fresh from HP and I've only installed few applications (Microsoft Office, Resolve Studio, Netflix and Chrome). My guess is that the OpenGL is either factory installed or via the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (I used it to update Intel drivers)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 pm

Your Intel iGPU driver 30.0.101.1191 driver is quite a bit newer than the Sept. 22, 2021 30.0.100.9864 Rev.D driver listed on the HP Drivers area for your system. It might be worth trying to install that driver and see if Resolve is happier with that.
Dwaine Maggart

willc_aust

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 am

Hi Dwaine,
I went back and uninstalled everything relating to Blackmagic and Resolve (including Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility). I then reboot and reinstalled Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and all its components. Resolve Studio 17.4.3 now boots up!!!

Thanks heaps for your patience and assistance. I'm not sure what made it work but maybe the reinstallation after the deletion of the OpenGL configuration was the needed action. Speed Editor works too.

Im so happy :D Thanks heaps

Kind Regards

William

parco11parco

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 3:30 pm

hello i wish u well thanks for the help
i managed to get the resolve logs
please help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vp8TPB ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 6:00 pm

Your Google Drive link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

parco11parco

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 9:03 pm

hello
wish u well
heres the google drive file
hope it works
thanks for the attention

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vp8TPB ... sp=sharing

jackdepand

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 10:54 pm

Hello,
I have been using DaVinci resolve for a couple of months now but when I tried to get on it today it wouldn't open. I have tried all of the fixes I've found. (task manager, usb devices, restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling, vpn, tcp port.) When I try to get the .NFO file to post it doesn't come up in desktop or anywhere where it is supposed to even when I run the capture log and it says it saved to desktop.

Here are the specs of my computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
16gb ram
rtx 3060

thanks for you help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 am

@Juan: Looks like your system was working on January 27, and then it seems an older AMD graphics driver was installed.

Looks like you had the Radeon 20.11.2 driver installed, and Resolve was happy with that. And now you have the 20.10.1 Radeon driver installed, and it appears Resolve is not happy with that.

Perhaps revert to the Radeon 20.11.2 driver and see if that helps.

If not, we'll need to see a Windows System Information .NFO file as well as a Resolve log. You can generate the .NFO file by opening the Windows System Information app and selecting File - Save.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 9:36 pm

Hi all - long time DaVinci Resolve user on Mac but after a little while using it has stopped opening on my nearly new PC.

Went through the troubleshooting steps (Nvidia drivers, uninstall Resolve, etc) so far but unfortunately can't even generate the NFO file with CaptureLogs.

So far I've disconnected OneDrive completely from my computer, tried downloading the "CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat" file that Dwaine posted a few posts back, but still the same error. Is there anything else I could try to generate the file?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 10:51 pm

In your screen shot, it appears you ran CaptureLogs, not CaptureLogsOneDrive

What happens when you run CaptureLogsOneDrive? Provide a screen shot of that.

The NFO file is a different thing. That's generated by running the Windows System Information app and doing a File - Save.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 11:19 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In your screen shot, it appears you ran CaptureLogs, not CaptureLogsOneDrive

What happens when you run CaptureLogsOneDrive? Provide a screen shot of that.

The NFO file is a different thing. That's generated by running the Windows System Information app and doing a File - Save.

Aha! Okay yes running the CaptureLogsOneDrive itself worked - after about 30 seconds it exported the following .zip file:

h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bU81fA ... sp=sharing

And I separately exported my system information:

h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bU81fA ... sp=sharing

Is there anything there that would help indicate why Resolve will not open?

Thank you so much

jackdepand

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 4:35 am

It would seem I have the same problem as heyhiyadoin. I can't seem to get my capture logs the only difference is there is no onedrivecapture logs for me. Does anyone know what to do?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-04 221626.png
Screenshot 2022-03-04 221626.png (658.75 KiB) Viewed 7230 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 6:10 am

@Jack: If you look further up this thread, you'll see my post with the CaptureLogsOneDrive file and how to use it.

@Travis, your second link is the same as the first link. Both are for your logs. Please send a link for the NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 7:28 am

@Travis, your second link is the same as the first link. Both are for your logs. Please send a link for the NFO file.[/quote]

Ah my mistake! I've linked my system information below:
h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1h9sTJDf ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 am

The last time Resolve ran was 2-15-2022

The last line of the rolling log is: New monitor is plugged in, but dual screen mode is not initialized. Please restart DaVinci Resolve to reinitialize the dual screen mode.

After that, Resolve is crashing at the GPU detect stage. Did you add a second display at that time? Or change the display?

The NFO file only shows a display connected to the NVIDIA card.

But if you also have a display connected to one of the computer motherboard display connectors, that could cause an issue. You don't want to use any of the motherboard display connectors. All displays need to be connected to the NVIDIA card.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Interesting, I haven't changed the monitor setup, but it is not an ideal one. It is a an older LCD TV plugged into HDMI running at a funky screen resolution 1360 x 768. Resolve was able to run okay when I first set up this machine. I'll get my hands on a real monitor with a Display port cable to see if that makes a difference.

Actually the first time Resolve would not start was when I upgraded RAM from 8gb to 32gb...but I don't think that would be a factor.

I am indeed plugged into the nvidia card, my manufacturer was nice enough to block off the integrated graphics with a plastic plate since I ordered a 1660 super.

I'll try a real monitor, but failing that, is there anything else I could check?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 7:24 pm

The monitor resolution should not cause a startup issue. And Resolve was working with that monitor.

Your issue is symptomatic of a corrupt config file. But the config files SEEM to be correct. But just to be safe, lets check that.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\tenni\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Rename the config.dat file to config.dat.orig

Rename the .config.data file to .config.data.orig

Now when you start Resolve, new default config files will be created. If your startup issue was config file related, Resolve should now start. But I sort of doubt that will be the case. Let us know.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Gave it a shot! Unfortunately no change...two quick spinning circles then nothing

Interestingly enough, after renaming the config.dat and config.data and trying to restart Resolve created another config.dat but with a 2/4 date, is that supposed to show today?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Yes, it should have created a new config.dat file. The fact it has a 2-4 date would lead me to believe you didn't rename it, but made a copy with the .orig name.

So do this. DELETE config.dat and launch Resolve, and see what happens.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:41 pm

Pardon the graininess, but I used a few free tools to make an animated GIF. It appears that even deleting the config.dat file results in another config.dat file created with a 2/4 date when I try to launch Resolve...which still seems very strange to me

jackdepand

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 pm

[quote="Dwaine Maggart"]@Jack: If you look further up this thread, you'll see my post with the CaptureLogsOneDrive file and how to use it.

Hi Dwaine,

On your original post you don't really specify which file I need to unzip it doesnt seem I can with the capturelogs file. Which should I unzip

Sorry for the confusion,
Jack

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 1:22 am

OK, my bad. The config.dat file will have a date from the release, apparently. But using 17.4.4, my new config file has a date of 2-14. But it is perhaps based on when the Resolve version was installed on the system.

At any rate, that confirms that you are indeed using a new default config.dat file, and that's not affecting the startup issue. Which is what I expected.

It doesn't appear that the AMD driver has changed from the working to non-working state.

But the NVIDIA driver was 471.41 when it last worked. And currently, it's 511.79. Try doing a clean install of the 471.41 driver and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 7:18 am

Appreciate the help here, and definitely willing to try anything to get Resolve to start!

I did a new install of the 471.41 driver:

Unfortunately though still no change.

I added a second hard drive to this PC when I upgraded my ram in between when I last ran resolve, no chance that would impact anything? Left the C drive in place

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 5:23 pm

When you installed the 471.41 driver, did you do a Clean install? When you run the driver installer, you'd select the Customize option, then select the Clean install option.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:When you installed the 471.41 driver, did you do a Clean install? When you run the driver installer, you'd select the Customize option, then select the Clean install option.

Ah, okay I did Express. Re-went through the install flow and selected Clean install this time.

Did a reboot to be sure, but unfortunately still no launch from Resolve...

Would a fresh Log & NFO file help?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 5:45 pm

It wouldn't hurt.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 12:01 am

jackdepand

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello,
on your previous post about unzipping a file in order to generate the onedrive capture logs it doesn't specify which file to unzip. I tried unzipping the capturelgos file but that didn't work. Which file do I need to unzip?

Thanks for your help,
Jack

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 8:51 pm

The only file that was attached to the message. The CaptureLogsOneDrive.zip file.

Attached again to this message, if you need it.
Attachments
CaptureLogsOneDrive.zip
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 97 times
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 8:59 pm

@Travis: Nothing additionally helpful in the new log and NFO.

Try opening the NVIDIA Control Panel, and select Manage 3D Settings, and set the preferred graphics processor to your NVIDIA GPU, per the image below:

nvidia_prefer_high_performance.jpg
nvidia_prefer_high_performance.jpg (230.31 KiB) Viewed 6714 times
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 1:19 am

So interestingly enough, I don't have that drop down option at all...my nvidia settings look slightly different:

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 am

That's unfortunate.

In the Windows search area, enter: graphics settings

That should open a window that looks like this:

win11_system_display_graphics.png
win11_system_display_graphics.png (153.7 KiB) Viewed 6695 times

Select "Change default graphics settings"

That should open a window that looks like this:

win11_change_default+graphics.png
win11_change_default+graphics.png (126.52 KiB) Viewed 6695 times

Turn it On.

Then return to the previous page, and in the Custom Options for Apps area, select DaVinci Resolve.

If it's not already in the list, select Add an app - Desktop App - Browse and go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

And select Resolve.exe

Then select DaVinci Resolve then Options, then High Performance, which looks like this:

win11_high_performance_graphics.png
win11_high_performance_graphics.png (128.04 KiB) Viewed 6695 times

Select Save.

Now does Resolve launch?
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 4:57 am

Thank you for those screenshots!

The GPU Scheduling setting was already set to on:

While the setting for Resolve was "let Windows decide" so I adjusted to the high performance nvidia card:

Unfortunately still no go from Resolve.

Any other thoughts on things to try?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 5:11 pm

Pretty much out of ideas. The logs show symptoms similar to Intel/NVIDIA users who have this app installed:

Intel CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications app

That can cause a GPU detect fail, and NFO system error messages like your system is showing. But since you don't have an Intel iGPU, I would not expect you to have this sort of app installed.

But take a look in the Windows Control Panel Programs and Features panel, and see if you have any apps similar to this installed. Anything that might say OpenCL.
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 5:44 pm

OH WE FIXED IT!!

Here is what it was:

Looked through my programs, saw this "Open CL and Open GL Compatibility Pack". It's been installed since 1/30 and I'm pretty sure Resolve opened at least once since then so I didn't think it would be the culprit but it's easy to re-add from Microsoft so I took a chance and uninstalled it:

Dwaine thank you for your patience and ideas. Sent you a PM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Wow! Why the heck is that installed on your system? Thanks for the screen shot.

This could be affecting others with similar symptoms

Do you have any idea what may have installed that on your system?
Dwaine Maggart

heyhiyadoin

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 6:29 pm

It was definitely something automatically put there, either from a Windows update or maybe from an HP update. This is a prebuilt machine with a whole ton of bloatware on it..

I set up this computer on 1/26, and it was added on 1/30 so I am guessing it came from an update. It is possible it came from a program I installed and I didn't see the checkbox for it during the install wizard, but I feel like I would remember that.

The only thing I've added from Microsoft was their codec pack to allow video from my Google Pixel 5 to work in Resolve and in other programs.

I do hope this will help others. Having read many of the forum posts about this issue it seems common trends are corrupted config.dat and config.data files, display drivers causing issues, or issues with OpenGL/CL reliant programs - looks like I had unlucky number 3.

jackdepand

PostFri Mar 11, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi,

A while ago you mentioned that to run the capturelgos file I would need to go through some steps with onedrive that you listed above. On that post you said to unzip a file. Which file did you want me to unzip? I tried unzipping the capturelogs file but that didn't seem to do anything

Thanks for your help,
jack

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 11, 2022 9:36 pm

@Jack: I've answered you above in this thread at least 3 times. What part of my description is not working?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88872&start=350#p822010

If you've followed the standard boilerplate procedure for generating Resolve logs and an NFO file, and if Capturelogs is not working, you may have your Windows Desktop on OneDrive. If that is the issue, then Unzip the attached file.

The zip contains this file: CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

Copy this file to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Then run CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat

This should create the log file.

Are you copying the unzipped CaptureLogsOneDrive.bat file to the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve? And then are you running that file from that folder?
Dwaine Maggart

jackdepand

PostFri Mar 11, 2022 11:21 pm

H

Sorry for the confusion. I managed to get the logs but it won't let me save it as a .NFO. I tried unzipping the logs that got copied to my desktop which then made them appear when I tried to save them but I couldn't save it as a whole thing. Attached is the non .NFO logs file and a video showing me trying to save as a .NFO.

Thanks for your help,
Jack

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yr6CIs ... sp=sharing (logs)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lS9YQ1 ... sp=sharing (video)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 2:34 am

In System Information, when you did the File - Save, you didn't enter a name in the File name area.

Just enter jack in the file name area, and click Save.
Dwaine Maggart
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve