power bin metadata

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

power bin metadata

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:03 pm

hello all,

Im trying to take resolve a step further then ''just'' short commercials and music video's.

I'm thinking about a 30 min tv show with +-25 episodes, and alot of footage.

so i want to take full advantage of the database system, and (i guess) the power bins.

i'm trying to create a system where i have a dedicated sql database, which contains (in the power bin) all the footage, labeled with all kinds of metadata, keywords, etc, so i can find everything super fast.
All the episodes as separate projects, this way i can keep them small in size and responsive.

there are just a few things which are holding me back:

-It turns out i cant add metadata to footage in the power bin.
-i cannot make smart bins in the power bin (not necessarily a must, but would be handy)
-when i add footage from the power bin onto the timeline, it still drops it in the local project's master bin. (which kind of makes sense), but it's kind of messy.

Is this just the way it is?

I can just drop everything in 1 project, but that sounds kind of risky, and would slow down alot i guess.

my main goal is to have all the footage directly in reach with each episode.

anyone with some tips/a different approach?
Last edited by Rick van den Berg on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iddos-l

Re: power bin metadata

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi
At our studio we mostly work with tv shows.
Since dvr 15 I have no problem working in a single project even if it’s a lot of material.
Last show was 26 ep 30 min long.
I do find it a big deal keeping everything organized of course.
But one project is the way we do it here.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 am

iddos-l wrote:Hi
At our studio we mostly work with tv shows.
Since dvr 15 I have no problem working in a single project even if it’s a lot of material.
Last show was 26 ep 30 min long.
I do find it a big deal keeping everything organized of course.
But one project is the way we do it here.

really? like +- 10tb of footage, and like a 100 timelines in one project?

would be the ideal way with the collab features, but it sounds so risky. in premiere it would be a total disaster.

iddos-l

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 am

Yes,
We don’t use power bin often.
When working on a project with multiple episodes there is a lot of Data I reuse so it’s better to keep it in one project.
You can split it if it’s getting too heavy.
The thing that makes the project “heavy” is the number of timeline mostly.
Try to kept it under 30.
Of course it all depends your system strength and resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iddos-l

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:13 am

.[/quote]

really? like +- 10tb of footage, and like a 100 timelines in one project?
.[/quote]

100 timelines sounds too much for a 30 ep project.
I try to keep it, one timeline for one ep.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am

well its an estimation. some teasers, nesting/compound clips, maybe even some fusion clips, etc. 4 timelines per episode doesnt sound unrealistic.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm

I did a quick test, with 96 timelines full of all kinds of footage (+- 15TB). mostly MXF, HD, 4k, dpx, etc.

opening the project takes about 20/30 seconds. but opening timelines and saving small modifications is still almost instant, and so far it looks good to go. quite promising.

just a few things,

when a ''normal'' bin is active, and i create/open a smart bin, it takes like 10, maybe more seconds to respond. but when im finally there, i can hop from smart bin to smart bin quite fast.

then, when i go back to the regular bins (even an empty one), it also takes quite a while. the project contains alot of footage, but it still feels a little strange. also because when i add keywords to my smartbins, it updates instantly.

my pc has a 10gb connection to a qnap nas where all of the footage is stored, which is also connected to a mac pro (1gb connection), dedicated to run the resolve server application.

I can search for keywords/all kinds of metadata in my master bin, but it only sees the folders in the root. or, when i click on one of the folders, it only shows the results inside that folder.

beside shift-clicking different bins, is it possible to search ''through'' all the folders when clicking on the master bin/root?

John Paines

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:I can search for keywords/all kinds of metadata in my master bin, but it only sees the folders in the root. or, when i click on one of the folders, it only shows the results inside that folder.

beside shift-clicking different bins, is it possible to search ''through'' all the folders when clicking on the master bin/root?

In 15 or 16, you can shift-click the first and the last bin to do a project-wide search. In 16, there's a choice of bin or project wide search, from a drop-down menu.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 am

It sounds like you're using the new option in V15 which doesn't load the entire project in the RAM. Then when you open a bin that's not loaded yet there is a small penalty in processing time but overall the project loads a lot faster than it would have.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 6:42 am

John Paines wrote:In 15 or 16, you can shift-click the first and the last bin to do a project-wide search. In 16, there's a choice of bin or project wide search, from a drop-down menu.

that sounds perfect. too bad 16 is still in beta.

@Igor
well i can hop from bin to bin instantly, as long as i dont hop from smart to ''regular'', so it sounds like it does load the entire project in some way.

you're using the word option, does that mean i can turn it off?

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Yes, I think this is somewhere in user or general preferences. The idea is that with Fusion comps and Fairlight projects, the data payload can get quite large. But you can load to RAM only as little as you require and then load additional things as you move around the project.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Rick van den Berg

PostSat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 pm

i tested the function to search in all bins in resolve 16. it does work in the ''normal'' bin, which is great, but not in the power bins. is that correct?

tested on windows 10

GalinMcMahon

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:i tested the function to search in all bins in resolve 16. it does work in the ''normal'' bin, which is great, but not in the power bins. is that correct?

tested on windows 10

That's what I'm seeing too. I set up several GB of mostly audio clips with keywords and put them into appropriate power bins so I can theoretically use them in any project. I tried searching for anything labeled 'Door' in keywords. Next to the search magnifier there is an option of 'All Bins' or 'Selected Bins.' Choosing All Bins doesn't return anything at all. Selected Bins works, but of course only for that bin. What is worse is that if I'm editing and want to bring something from a sound library, it will only search in the title, not the keywords. I love that Resolve has so many options, but if they don't work universally, it becomes GIGO and a massive waste of time.

So I guess my question is: what is the point of bins if you can't search across them? It would actually be more sensible to plop everything down into 1 folder (yuck) and use keywords.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Return to DaVinci Resolve