Disappearing Database

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Blackmagicgirl

Disappearing Database

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

So I followed the 'Lean Color Grading' YouTube tutorial on creating databases and linking them to an external hard drive/jump drive. Everything was working fine. Then one day, I exported one of my timelines to an mp4 file. When I returned a few days later and plugged in my jump drive none of my created databases exist. A timeline from one of the disappeared databases exists on the local database now along with a copy, but I never moved it there. Where are my databases!? Where did they go?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Disappearing Database

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm

We advise against putting databases on removable drives, to prevent issues like this.

On your jump drive, if there is a Resolve database existing on it, you should see a folder structure like this:

Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects

And in the Projects folder should be a folder for each of your projects.

Do you see anything like that?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Blackmagicgirl

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Yes I do. I went to Resolve Projects/ Users/ Guests/Projects and found a folder named after the second database of mine that I could not find. Is this my lost database? How can I get it to open in DaVinci Resolve?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 pm

It could be your lost database, though I'm not sure why it would be there, unless that's the location you picked when you created it.

Does that folder also have a Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects folder structure in it?

If so, the easiest thing to do would be to just COPY (not move) the project folders from the Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects area of that folder, to the upper Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects folder that you CAN see if the Project Manager page.

Or, in the Database area of the Project Manager page, you can click the "New Database" button, and in the New Database window that opens, it's in the Connect tab by default, which is what you want. Enter a new Name for the database, then click in the Location entry area, and in the Finder/Explorer window that opens, select the folder just above the desired Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects path. Based on what you describe, that would be the folder with the missing database name.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Gary Hango

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 12:40 am

Just my 2 cents here. Having the function to connect to an existing database under the New Database menu command seems confusing. We’re not creating a new database, we’re attaching to an existing database. A separate menu option should be provided for this.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Return to DaVinci Resolve