[SOLVED] DR15 timeline playback HW utilization issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

creative.visuals

[SOLVED] DR15 timeline playback HW utilization issue

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi guys, I am starting to feel desperate. Even after completely reinstalling my system and a fresh install of DRStudio15.3.1 I am still getting playback issues in the edit page after I make few cuts or make a ripple delete. Tried probably everything now.. It does it with proxies, with optimized media, with cache enabled. Footage is BRAW and it plays back smoothly without any issues until I make some of mentioned edits (see screencapture) after this happens even clips that played smoothly start to stutter. In color page or in media preview player it plays smoothly. I is just a timeline playback issue. it is the same for braw, prores, h264 or any format.. Does anyone have an idea what could be the culprit? PC is 10core i9, 64GBram, 1080ti, footage on sata SSD..tried it with the footage on m.2 ssd but same results :/
(it starts afte 0:45 in the video when I do the ripple delete. left the begining as a reference that everything was playing smoothly)

here is an example of ho it plays in color or media viewer

also interesting is that when it plays smoothly it uses all cores and a GPU as well.. when I try to playback the timeline it utilizes only 1core and almost no GPU (see pic)
DR15issue.png
DR15issue.png (103.19 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Last edited by creative.visuals on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

creative.visuals

Re: Resolve Studio 15 timeline playback HW utilization issue

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 pm

Here is the whole process of **** hitting the fan...
from fresh start of DR15 when everything works, through performing a ripple delete and then it goes downhill...

creative.visuals

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

After more extensive testing with all versions from 15.2.3 the behaviour is the same.. after performing a cut and then deleting part of the cut clip (doesn't matter whether it is ripple delete or normal) the timeline playback switches from utilizing all cpu threads and gpu to a singlethreaded cpu job resulting in unusable for work. same results for all tested codecs (braw, cdng, h264, prores) source player and playback in color tab still work perfectly fine as a multithreaded gpu accelerated jobs.

Also tested all possible output formats (braw and prores) in various bitrates and framerates from the BMPCC4K and got same results..

My last hope is someone here that can help.

FYI the drone footage is BRAW (not h264 as few people in FB groups thought, it is a BMPCC4K mounted on a big freestyle drone)

creative.visuals

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 9:06 am

Further testing showed that it is a audio playback issue. Did not find any solution yet but it narrowed down the suspects

creative.visuals

Re: [SOLVED] DR15 timeline playback HW utilization issue

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 9:50 am

unchecking the Linked selection did the job. no need even for unlinking the clips. is that a bug or what? :D

update. Selection follow the playhead was the issue

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 am

Thank you for the reports.

Could you post a link to a. diagnostic crash logs archive and b. a copy of your exported project (drp file)?

Regards
Shrinivas

creative.visuals

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am

I don't think it is needed.. it was just "Selection follows the playhead" option that was slowing the DR down. Don't have any crashlogs or anything...

Return to DaVinci Resolve