Render Name Inherit Project Name

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TIMWHITE

Render Name Inherit Project Name

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Is there anyway to have a render inherit a project name?

For example we often use a complex naming convention for a project

YYMMDD-CLIENT-PROJECT-ASSET-VERSION

^that would be my project name

Id like renders to inherit that name by default instead of "untitled"

I could copy and paste it, but theres no where on the Davinci interface that displays the project name while allowing copy/paste functions.

As a sidenote, Id love to see variables for render names such as %TIMELINE%, %DATE%, %PROJECT%, %TIME%, %USER%, etc which could greatly spead up agency/team workflows.

Peter Cave

Re: Render Name Inherit Project Name

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 10:56 pm

I think you should read the User Manual section for the Deliver Page. There ARE variables for the deliver page and also an option for the rendered file to be the same name as the timeline name.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jack Swart

PostSat Apr 27, 2019 12:43 am

In V16 you can use the % variable to add the project name as the render file name.
It is also possible to have the timeline name as well by using the % variable

On the RENDER page, in the filename field if you type % all the possible variables are shown.

Project and timeline at at the very end.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

silverbacknet

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Peter Cave wrote:I think you should read the User Manual section for the Deliver Page. There ARE variables for the deliver page and also an option for the rendered file to be the same name as the timeline name.

I RTFM, and it's not in the Fine Manual. The Deliver chapter is quite short, too, it's not like it'd be easy to miss. So this was useless advice.

Honestly, the default should be the project name, not a useless default like "Untitled", and there should be a discoverable way to change that. So far, I haven't found whatever you guys are talking about.

dtucny

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 8:35 am

I realise that this is an old topic, however, it was the third result in google when I was searching for the answer.

As silverbacknet states, the 444 page beginners guide does not have much information on delivery, however, the 3590 page reference manual does cover this somewhat, specifically in Chapter 173 - Using Variables and Keywords starting page 3527. This reference manual can be reached from within Resolve from the top option on the Help menu.

Jack Swart's post above gave the solution, but, when I read it, I was confused as to what variable starting with % he was talking about. It turns out that just typing '%' triggers a dropdown list that allows you to chose from any of the possible variables (there are lots), e.g. Project Name, which will then show in a little bubble in the box, but, will be mapped to e.g. %{Project Name}.mp4 when you check in browse location.

Leaving this here should anyone else stumble across this post in search results and want a bit more info.

tailor45

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 8:02 pm

dtucny wrote:I realise that this is an old topic, however, it was the third result in google when I was searching for the answer.

As silverbacknet states, the 444 page beginners guide does not have much information on delivery, however, the 3590 page reference manual does cover this somewhat, specifically in Chapter 173 - Using Variables and Keywords starting page 3527. This reference manual can be reached from within Resolve from the top option on the Help menu.

Jack Swart's post above gave the solution, but, when I read it, I was confused as to what variable starting with % he was talking about. It turns out that just typing '%' triggers a dropdown list that allows you to chose from any of the possible variables (there are lots), e.g. Project Name, which will then show in a little bubble in the box, but, will be mapped to e.g. %{Project Name}.mp4 when you check in browse location.

Leaving this here should anyone else stumble across this post in search results and want a bit more info.

Thanks for that, I wonder if you could help me further.

I just want the project name to appear as the file name automatically without having to delete the word "untitled" or type in variables.

Do you know if there's a setting or if it's possible to do?

Ashton Lamont

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:00 pm

If you type % into the Filename field you then get a short selection of suggested file names in a dropdown list. If you then start typing more characters you will see other suggested file names.
If in your case you type %proj you will get a choice of one name which is Project Name. Choose that then add to the render queue.
To double check then click on the three dots in the top right in the Render Queue and click on Show Job Details. You will then see your actual Project Name

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:50 pm

tailor45 wrote:I just want the project name to appear as the file name automatically without having to delete the word "untitled" or type in variables.
Give the timeline the same name as the project. Select Timeline Name on the File tab of the Deliver page Render Settings.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tailor45

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 9:03 am

Ashton Lamont wrote:If you type % into the Filename field you then get a short selection of suggested file names in a dropdown list. If you then start typing more characters you will see other suggested file names.
If in your case you type %proj you will get a choice of one name which is Project Name. Choose that then add to the render queue.
To double check then click on the three dots in the top right in the Render Queue and click on Show Job Details. You will then see your actual Project Name

Thanks for your answer but I don't think you've understood what I've asked.

tailor45

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 9:14 am

Jim Simon wrote:
tailor45 wrote:I just want the project name to appear as the file name automatically without having to delete the word "untitled" or type in variables.
Give the timeline the same name as the project. Select Timeline Name on the File tab of the Deliver page Render Settings.

Thanks for that but it doesn't really solve the problem, now instead of having to fill in the File Name field, I would now have to fill in the Timeline Name field so it's essentially the same problem.

I thought, given Davinci Resolve's intuitive interface and options, that there would just be an option to set the File Name to automatically be the same as the Project Name without having to type variables etc

Andy Mees

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am

Most people would probably use presets for this Gareth, in that way you can set all your preferred export settings in whatever way you want/need, including the filename settings. For your use case you would set up your preset with the Filename field set to use the metadata variable %ProjectName. For my own work, my custom export presets use the Timeline name option... naming the timeline is just a standard part of my workflow that happens long before delivery.

tailor45

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 11:16 am

Andy Mees wrote:Most people would probably use presets for this Gareth, in that way you can set all your preferred export settings in whatever way you want/need, including the filename settings. For your use case you would set up your preset with the Filename field set to use the metadata variable %ProjectName. For my own work, my custom export presets use the Timeline name option... naming the timeline is just a standard part of my workflow that happens long before delivery.

Would you mind please telling me how to set a preset?

Andy Mees

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 11:27 am

Sure... look in the Delivery Page Render Settings (three dot) options menu
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 11.24.12.png
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 11.24.12.png (163.22 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:41 pm

tailor45 wrote:I would now have to fill in the Timeline Name field
You do that at timeline creation anyway. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tailor45

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 11:43 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Sure... look in the Delivery Page Render Settings (three dot) options menu
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 11.24.12.png

Worked perfectly, thanks :D

Nils-does-things

PostSun May 07, 2023 2:37 pm

Just updating this for anyone still looking.

Davinci Resolve 18 (or 18.5 beta)

Search the manual for:

Chapter 16 Using Variables and Keyword - Using Metadata Variables - currently page 323

and

Chapter 186 Rendering Media - File - currently page 3908

Then I'd recommend what Andy & Jim posted, name the timeline and save it as a preset under the delivery page.

Sidenote that while the %Date Modified variable is available, there doesn't seem to be an easy way of auto-versioning using date+timestamp, unless I've missed it. Date Modified doesn't include a time stamp and will therefore override any previous render of the clip on the same date. %Version adds Version 1 to the filename but doesn't seem to auto-increment for me on single clips. (?)

Scenario - export short segments of a timeline containing cpu heavy transitions/fx for review outside of Resolve - auto-increment those versions.
"There are three types of people. Those who can count and those who can't."

Return to DaVinci Resolve