Color Management VS. bypass Re-Encoding

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jan_berlin

Color Management VS. bypass Re-Encoding

PostMon May 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Hey. Is it possible to use "Bypass Re-Encoding" with Color Management enabled? For example, I rendered my final Timeline with wrong Metadata. So I would like to interprete my Render (Media Management Input Color Space/Gamma) as Rec2100 and configure the Color Management Setting (Input Color Space, Timeline Color Space and Output Color Space) with the same Data. So there should be no Color Transformation, because my Asset and Timeline/Output are the same Color Space?
But Resolve will do Re-Encoding. Only when I set Color Science to "Davinci YRGB" the Render process is bypassed. But that will result in "wrong" Metadata on ProRes4444 Exports.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Color Management VS. bypass Re-Encoding

PostMon May 06, 2019 7:41 pm

If you are changing the color managment thats a fundamental processign change so I would expect the bypass re-encoding to not be enabled.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 06, 2019 9:00 pm

You want a special tool which edits just eg. MOV metadata. Google for it- there are some, but not many.

jan_berlin

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 11:17 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You want a special tool which edits just eg. MOV metadata. Google for it- there are some, but not many.

Which one?

So, I managed it to get correct Metadata without using Color Management. But now I have another problem: bypass does not work for no reason. Same Resolution, same codec, same framerate.

Any ideas? I am not on the latest version, its 16.0.0. beta.

Return to DaVinci Resolve