Speedwarp not available on DR Studio MBP

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Speedwarp not available on DR Studio MBP

PostThu May 09, 2019 4:48 am

Hi All,

The Speed Warp option isn't showing for me, the Retime Process menu only includes Nearest, Frame Blend, and Optical Flow.

It was missing both in 16b1 and now 16b2.

I'm running:
  • 2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar
  • 2.9Gh i5
  • 16Gb RAM
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB
  • No external graphics hardware or GPUs or anything

I'm definitely running DR Studio (I removed the dongle and it told me to put it back in or it would close).
It's not available with existing projects or a new project. I have carried over the same database from previous versions (I went straight from v14 to v16b1 and upgraded the db during installation).

When I installed 16b1 I backed up the database and renamed the version 14 installation in "/Applications/Davinci Resolve" to "/Applications/Davinci Resolve 14" in order to be able to go back if something terrible happened, and the same thing with Beta1 so I now have three DR folders in my Applications folder, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I could be doing something silly, but I can't think of what it might be.

Thanks!

Uli Plank

Re: Speedwarp not available on DR Studio MBP

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:58 am

Choose Optical Flow, it’s the last option down the list there, after Enhanced Better.

And bring a lot of patience if you don’t have the latest and greatest GPU.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Kye Leslie

PostThu May 09, 2019 9:21 am

Uli Plank wrote:Choose Optical Flow, it’s the last option down the list there, after Enhanced Better.

And bring a lot of patience if you don’t have the latest and greatest GPU.

So it's meant to be in the Motion Estimation Mode menu? In that menu I only have Standard Faster, Standard Better, Enhanced Faster, and Enhanced Better. There is no fifth option for me in that menu.

Kye Leslie

PostThu May 09, 2019 9:25 am

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 5.23.55 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 5.23.55 pm.png (39.05 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 5.24.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 5.24.07 pm.png (52.23 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 09, 2019 11:22 am

Maybe your GPU isn’t capable for this feature.. edit.. or you are looking in Project settings not edit page?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Kye Leslie

PostThu May 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Your GPU isn’t capable for this feature

Thanks Peter.

Unfortunate. If it was a matter of performance then I'd be happy to just wait longer in rendering, but maybe it's not possible.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 10, 2019 6:49 am

Can I check you are looking in the Edit page inspector?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Kye Leslie

PostSat May 11, 2019 1:50 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Maybe your GPU isn’t capable for this feature.. edit.. or you are looking in Project settings not edit page?

[edit: I wrote the below before I saw your edits - yes, I was looking in project settings!]

Hi Peter,

Someone on another forum suggested accessing this feature via the Inspector for an individual clip and Speed Warp was available there for me.
I made a test video of two identical clips with the only difference being the first was Enhanced Better and the second was Speed Warp.

When I rendered the project the first clip rendered out at 5.5fps and the second one absolutely killed the whole machine, making it impossible to use during the export process, however it did finish and created an output file successfully.
The output file showed the Speed Warp motion estimation was clearly superior, however there were several frames in the output file during the Speed Warp clip where the colours were completely wrong, so the result was not correct. Most frames were good though.

Question: is it possible to fix the strangely coloured frames? I'm happy to work with you on this.

Request: if there is any way possible to keep this feature I would really really appreciate it. If the price of enabling this feature is that the machine becomes unusable during rendering then so-be-it. I would gladly set the project to Standard Faster while editing, and swap to Speed Warp only before rendering, and walk away from the machine during this process. Even if the process to export a 5 minute video takes all night I would rather have the ability to create that output file rather than not be able to at all.
I understand that BM wants to create a good user experience and allowing features that aren't at a high level of performance isn't typical in such situations, but give me a hidden option to enable, make me acknowledge I accept the poor performance, give me a secret code, make me manually edit a config file, but please give me the ability to create output files with this feature!

Thanks!

Kye.

Kye Leslie

PostSat May 11, 2019 3:06 am

I did another test with different resolution / source media and Speed Warp worked flawlessly.
Both tests were on the same subject, but the first test was from Prores Proxy 720p proxies I use for editing and was a 720 H264 output file, and the second test was using the original 4k60 h264 source media outputting to a 1080p Prores HQ output file.

I can upload the two output files so you can compare them if you like. One thing I noticed was that the flawed frames with the colour issues were also inconsistent with the motion in the clips, so they are not simply colour issues, but motion issues as well.

Uli Plank

PostSun May 12, 2019 2:49 pm

I’m afraid your GPU isn’t up to it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jean Claude

PostSun May 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Uli is right. Test done with a RTX 2080 Ti on a minute in loop).

Make a Speed warp from a clip 1280x720 @ 24p in HD @ 50p request 3704 MB GPU VRAM

Do a Speed warp from a clip 1280x720 @ 24p in UHD @ 50p request 8360 MB GPU VRAM

Doing a Speed warp from a UHD @ 24p clip in UHD @ 50p requests 8892MB GPU VRAM, even after a render => User cache and RT read.
speedwarp_render_cache.jpg

Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB is not powerful enough :oops:

Hoping for optimization for future Beta. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Kye Leslie

PostMon May 13, 2019 4:23 am

I'm actually fine with the performance. It doesn't matter to me if I hit render and walk away and it takes an hour or it takes 8 hours.

My main concern was that I wouldn't be able to use the feature, which is just fantastic!
Having AI-based artificial slow-motion of this quality on a laptop at all is just great. If I wanted real-time performance I'd just accept that I needed to buy an external GPU, or enormous desktop machine with super-computer specs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve