Set Timeline Frame Rate?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Timber

Set Timeline Frame Rate?

PostWed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Where is the master preference for setting a timeline frame rate? In all project settings the popup choice is greyed out, stuck at 24fps, and I want to build an HD 25fps project for EU. This is true even if I make a new timeline from a 25fps source, which seems counter-intuitive. Now, playout IS set to 25fps, so perhaps whatever the timeline is set at doesn't really matter, but it does if I'm counting seconds and frames. Maybe poor search terms, but I don't see other posts on this, so I'm just assuming it's something obvious and I'm exceptionally stupid. Running R16b2. Thanks!

Jack Fairley

Re: Set Timeline Frame Rate?

PostWed May 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Timeline framerate definitely matters. In Resolve, you can't change the timeline framerate after you've done basically anything. When you make the project, set the framerate first, or you may end up in a world of hurt later.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Timber wrote:Where is the master preference for setting a timeline frame rate? In all project settings the popup choice is greyed out, stuck at 24fps, and I want to build an HD 25fps project for EU.

If you start with an empty Resolve 15 project with no media and no timelines, then you can immediately set the project for whatever frames per second speed you want.

Resolve 16 changes that and has new modes where you can alter this on a timeline basis.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Timber

PostThu May 16, 2019 12:00 am

<<< Resolve 16 changes that and has new modes where you can alter this on a timeline basis. >>>

Please tell me WHERE these new modes are, if you could? Appreciated thanks in advance.

Cary Knoop

PostThu May 16, 2019 12:09 am

Timber wrote:<<< Resolve 16 changes that and has new modes where you can alter this on a timeline basis. >>>

When I was watching the BM presentation at NAB this year on independent timeline setting from project setting my first reaction was 'great, now I can create a separate timeline with a different framerate, cut and paste from the original timeline and everything is automatically recalculated and it just works'.

It looks like I was naive, nothing really has changed with respect to changing frame rates after you made a timeline.

It is not rocket science to recalculate clip lengths, offsets, transitions times, keyframe positions, etc based on a change in frame rate. But I guess it is not going to be in Resolve 16.

Timber

PostThu May 16, 2019 12:42 am

BTW, I want to thank Marc for his help. I was able to build a project with a 25fps timeline, but was NOT able to change the timeline FPS in the project I had. Is it a bug? I don't know. But now I'll have to either migrate my edit or redo it from scratch. Which, it was just first version of an animatic for a music video :-)

HaveBlue

PostThu May 16, 2019 1:31 am

There is also a way to set the default for all projects. It's rather convoluted. In the project settings you somehow memorize new master presets. You'll have to mess with it from a blank project but it involves flipping back and forth between presets.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Timber

PostThu May 16, 2019 3:47 am

<< There is also a way to set the default for all projects. >>

I really wouldn't want to do this. I deal with projects all over the map for frame rate. I have theme park shows running right now at 120fps, I do quite a bit of TV work in Europe, and straight theatrical in the US. I want much MORE flexibility in frame rate.

If I were product manager for Resolve studio, I would first STOP throwing edit modes against the wall to see which stuck. Then I would attack the frame rate problem. And I would rationalize all the crazy add-ons, like Shot Detection, which are hidden where the sun doesn't shine and put them into the timeline where they belong, and I would do something about the proliferation of preferences.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:14 am

You can brute force project framerate change by writing directly to the database. I haven't tested this enough to be able to tell if weird things ensue. I suspect there is more to it.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Cary Knoop

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:23 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:You can brute force project framerate change by writing directly to the database. I haven't tested this enough to be able to tell if weird things ensue. I suspect there is more to it.

There is a lot more to it because a lot of the Resolve logic is based on frame numbers not on actual run time but 'auto reframing' is not rocket science and can be done.

Heck, if the scripting API was extended a bit more we could do it in Python :)

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:33 am

When creating a new timeline, you can select “Use Custom Settings” and customize the timeline’s settings. The frame-rate is found under the Format tab.

You can override the defaults suggested in this dialog under: Preferences > User > Editing > New Timeline Settings. As of today, these are the only customizable defaults. We are looking to increase the level of customization of defaults and presets in future updates.

It is possible to copy and paste clips between timelines with differing frame rates - so if you would like to build multiple frame rate deliverables, please create a new timeline with the appropriate frame rate and paste the contents. Please ensure that you review your edits for frame accurate translations after pasting your media, as frame rate rounding behavior may not be consistent across applications.

Cary Knoop

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:36 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:It is possible to copy and paste clips between timelines with differing frame rates - so if you would like to build multiple frame rate deliverables, please create a nw timeline with the appropriate frame rate and paste the contents. Please ensure that you review your edits for frame accurate translations after pasting your media, as frame rate rounding behavior may not be consistent across applications.

That's great, but I tried that in Release 16 b2 and the clip handles and offsets were all shifted in time, not just 'rounding' errors. Is it fully functional at this point or still in development? For instance, going from 24p to 60p should work regardless of the Project Level Frame Interpolation settings.

HaveBlue

PostThu May 16, 2019 6:03 am

I recall Dr asking to switch rates at the beginning if the source footage is a different rate. I assume it still does that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 16, 2019 6:39 am

Cary, can you pass us an example DRP that shows this behavior?

MichaelDrowley

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:When creating a new timeline, you can select “Use Custom Settings” and customize the timeline’s settings. The frame-rate is found under the Format tab.

You can override the defaults suggested in this dialog under: Preferences > User > Editing > New Timeline Settings. As of today, these are the only customizable defaults. We are looking to increase the level of customization of defaults and presets in future updates.

It is possible to copy and paste clips between timelines with differing frame rates - so if you would like to build multiple frame rate deliverables, please create a new timeline with the appropriate frame rate and paste the contents. Please ensure that you review your edits for frame accurate translations after pasting your media, as frame rate rounding behavior may not be consistent across applications.

This issue has to do with default Project Framerate - not Timeline Framerates. What you have suggested as a copy and paste option does not work if the Project Framerate is off and you have already made a Timeline as then the Project Framerate remains locked and you are limited on what you can export out of resolve. The project framerate via project settings seems to underpin/override the timeline frame rate. So I was getting dropped frames and jerky footage from a project where the timeline frame rate was somehow automatically set to a default value of 24. How I ended up there I'm not even sure as I did not set this (my bad for not checking), but I also did not ingest any 24p footage into the media pool of my new project - so Resolve set it to this by default. I simply created the timeline by dragging in 25p footage from the media pool, clicked ok at the prompt which was also a misstep as the prompt was telling me the footage and framerate did not match (again my bad) and then at the end of the edit when I went to export as 25p, I realised that the Timeline frame rate was locked to 24. It's a definite issue that's like a program bug in a certain set of circumstances and If I can repeat it I will send more information on it. I'm on Studio 16.1.1.005
Video Creator and YouTuber
http://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelDrowley

Timber

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:49 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:When creating a new timeline, you can select “Use Custom Settings” and customize the timeline’s settings. The frame-rate is found under the Format tab.

I haven't been able to discover ANY frame rate flexibility in Resolve. I just moved a piece over to After Effects, which handles this issue (and arbitrarily large comp sizes) perfectly. This particular project I'd done at first in Resolve at 30fps 1920x1080, but when I opened the project up later and changed the frame size to 1440x1080 1:33, my previously fine multiple comp frame rates were involuntarily re-set to 24fps (I think because of other projects done in-between) and couldn't be changed. So I just gave up on doing it in Resolve.

runbei

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks to all for this thread. A year later, I'm finding it a bit perplexing to set 30 fps when creating a timeline from a clip. DR insisted on setting 29.97 and I ended up with slightly out of sync audio... useful insights here for a fix.

Evgeny1988

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 3:00 pm

I was able to change my frame rate from 60 to 24. This is what I did -
- Selected everything (Ctrl+A) on my timeline and copied it (Ctrl+c)
- Then I went to File->New Timeline (Ctrl+N)
- In the "Use Custom Settings" I went to the "Format" tab and set "Timeline Frame Rate" to 24 (You can select whatever FPS you need there).
- After creating the new Timeline I pasted (Ctrl+V) my copied stuff into it.
- I went to the "Delivery" page where I was able to select 24 for my frame rate.

The video was rendered in 24 frames per second. Everything works great from what I can tell. I only had 1 image and some text on the timeline, though.

runbei

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 5:51 pm

What I eventually discovered, by looking at the Canon 6D specs on the CanonUSA website, is that Canon lists the 6D's frame rate as 30fps, but then they add in parenthesis "(29.97)."

So - Canon can be loose in its specs but Resolve has to be more picky in order to make everything work right. Anyway, I could have saved some precious time and worry if I'd known that 30fps in Canon6dspeak is really 29.97. :roll:

Jim Simon

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 9:35 pm

30 fps is a very common shorthand for 29.97 in the same way that 24p can mean both 23.98 and 23.976.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Jim Simon wrote:30 fps is a very common shorthand for 29.97 in the same way that 24p can mean both 23.98 and 23.976.

And sometimes 24p is just 24p! ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve