Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

José Santos

Re: Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi Jose,
I use AMD radeon VII drivers 20.3.1 from the 17.03.2020

greets
Mike

Thanks! So you've never had issues with the clip icons loading or worse performance than expected?

My problem is that the Candle benchmark tells one story but a real project another. I don't get realtime NR on a real project like on the candle test...

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am

Hi,
you ignored my previous postings, where I mentioned, that there are decoding issues with BRAW, leading to heavy flicker with Radeon VII GPU decoding support :)
This will be solved with 16.3, I'm sure... I'm in direct talks and tests with BM on that..

when I open a project, it takes 20secs until the clips are really shown (not empty boxes...) and another 10 secs that I can play them.

greets
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

José Santos

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi,
you ignored my previous postings, where I mentioned, that there are decoding issues with BRAW, leading to heavy flicker with Radeon VII GPU decoding support :)
This will be solved with 16.3, I'm sure... I'm in direct talks and tests with BM on that..

when I open a project, it takes 20secs until the clips are really shown (not empty boxes...) and another 10 secs that I can play them.

greets
Mike

Sorry, glossed over that post. That's what I'm experiencing as well...

IvanovS

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:55 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi,

greets
Mike

Have you tried the new 20.9.1 drivers that were released yesterday? They fixed some issues with the 5700XT that might indirectly fix the Radeon VII issues as well.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:56 am

as I said: I _KNOW_ for certain, that the upcoming 13.3 release has fixed the displaying issue, since I'm already running a pre-test-special version :) happy camper here!

greets
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

IvanovS

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:as I said: I _KNOW_ for certain, that the upcoming 13.3 release has fixed the displaying issue, since I'm already running a pre-test-special version :) happy camper here!

greets
Mike

Great for all R7 users then.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

kuyagee

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Just stumbled upon this thread as I'm noticing a general sluggishness in my system as well. I'm on a similar setup with a single Radeon VII and the input lag when working with 60 fps files is beginning to annoy me. Never noticed this issue before, as I was primarily on 24p files, but I'm wondering if it's a bug with DR. I'm installed/reinstalled DR 16 and drivers (latest pro) several times, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's happening.

My issue is for example I'll hit I for In then there's like a half second delay before the software responds, and the Out, half second delay, then the toggle for video/audio only will pop up, then I can drag the clip to timeline. Right clicking on clips has a half second delay as well. This was never the issue before.

I do notice that loading everything at startup takes time, but it's butter smooth playback once it's ready to go, so I've lived with that since day one. Just the sluggishness and input lag is starting to annoy me to the point where I'm contemplating a fresh Windows Install.
Ryzen 3900X
Radeon VII
32 GB RAM
Win 10 - 1809

Clay Clement

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 pm

kuyagee wrote:Just stumbled upon this thread as I'm noticing a general sluggishness in my system as well. I'm on a similar setup with a single Radeon VII and the input lag when working with 60 fps files is beginning to annoy me. Never noticed this issue before, as I was primarily on 24p files, but I'm wondering if it's a bug with DR. I'm installed/reinstalled DR 16 and drivers (latest pro) several times, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's happening.

My issue is for example I'll hit I for In then there's like a half second delay before the software responds, and the Out, half second delay, then the toggle for video/audio only will pop up, then I can drag the clip to timeline. Right clicking on clips has a half second delay as well. This was never the issue before.

I do notice that loading everything at startup takes time, but it's butter smooth playback once it's ready to go, so I've lived with that since day one. Just the sluggishness and input lag is starting to annoy me to the point where I'm contemplating a fresh Windows Install.

I'm having the same issues... Even with just 1080p 60 footage there is a strange input lag. I can minimize it with using just my main monitor for editing, but it doesn't seem to handle it very well. Before i was on an NVIDIA 1070 and I was getting mostly smooth quick playback without any issues. I just upgraded to the Radeon 7 for the more VRAM... Sadly been very disappointed with this card in the end with all this going on... I upgraded my motherboard and RAM from an x370 to an x570 for my Ryzen 9 3900x... Also got tighter RAM timings and optimize it with the infinity fabric. Will keep testing though. The new Install of 10 it WAS running smoothly at first...

Clay Clement

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Actually restarted again to double check something. Seems perfectly fine after the restart... I was gaming at that time and I wonder if that for some reason caused the issue for some odd reason. I also doubly made sure to disable FreeSync for Resolve from my game monitor I use. I don't know if that may help some? I know on my x370 I did similar steps but it didn't seem to help... So results I'm sure may vary...
I am on Resolve 16.2.6

kuyagee

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Clay Clement wrote:Actually restarted again to double check something. Seems perfectly fine after the restart... I was gaming at that time and I wonder if that for some reason caused the issue for some odd reason. I also doubly made sure to disable FreeSync for Resolve from my game monitor I use. I don't know if that may help some? I know on my x370 I did similar steps but it didn't seem to help... So results I'm sure may vary...
I am on Resolve 16.2.6

Freesync, that might be it! I just updated to Windows 10 2004 and my playback is choppy af, thinking it's the Windows update that is not compatible with my Pro drivers. It's odd that when I alt-tab to another window/app like the Task Manager to observe CPU usage, Resolve playback is smooth, but when in the actually app it jumps from 20-24 fps. I'll have to test it out and report back.
Ryzen 3900X
Radeon VII
32 GB RAM
Win 10 - 1809

kuyagee

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Clay Clement wrote:Actually restarted again to double check something. Seems perfectly fine after the restart... I was gaming at that time and I wonder if that for some reason caused the issue for some odd reason. I also doubly made sure to disable FreeSync for Resolve from my game monitor I use. I don't know if that may help some? I know on my x370 I did similar steps but it didn't seem to help... So results I'm sure may vary...
I am on Resolve 16.2.6

So I just went into Adrenaline and disabled Freesync/Chill/Anti-lag etc which were on for my global settings for Resolve, and playback is back to normal.
I had updated to 16.2.7/Windows 10 (2004) / Q3 Pro Radeon Drivers. It hadn't occurred to me all this time that it could be Freesync/driver options related. Might want to try that.
Ryzen 3900X
Radeon VII
32 GB RAM
Win 10 - 1809
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve