Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Feri Ternak

Re: Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback Resolve 15

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am

Hi, my Radeon VII causing slower UI/Playback in Resolve 16.1.1 (and 16, 16.1) :/ The rendering/exoprting speed is good but the playback ony 19fps if i enable the "play all frames" checkbox....

i tried:

- Enable HMBC
- install from the oldest to the newest amd driver
- clean windows install
- enable/disable every checkbox in resolve and radeon settings:)
- set maximum performance in windows energy management

I dont know what is the problem :/

Feri

(asus z9pe-d8 ws, 2xXeon 2687W v2, 32gb ram, ssd boot, raid5 datastorage)
Resolve 16.1.2
Win10
Asus z9pe-d8-ws
2x2687w v2
32gb ram
Radeon VII

Feri Ternak

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi, anyone?:)

I tried a clean install windows and put cart to other pci slot...no difference...The
resolve generate thumbnails slowly and the playing timeline choppy ( until didnt cached it.!)

Before the radeon vii, i used gtx
titan’s, and the playing was perfect..

Thanks, Feri
Resolve 16.1.2
Win10
Asus z9pe-d8-ws
2x2687w v2
32gb ram
Radeon VII

ebizzle

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 3:04 am

H264/H265 footage in the timelien?
Might be your Xeon chips, check to see if they have Intel Quicksync.

My system runs slow editing H264/H265 because no Intel Quicksync.
I can edit MXF Black Magic files, Prores just fine on my old beast.
Resolve Studio 16.2.0.054
Win 10, AMD 3900x, 32GB ram, Nvidia 2070s - 431.86
Personal faults: Cannot subframe-edit audio keyframes

Feri Ternak

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 10:03 am

ebizzle wrote:H264/H265 footage in the timelien?
Might be your Xeon chips, check to see if they have Intel Quicksync.

My system runs slow editing H264/H265 because no Intel Quicksync.
I can edit MXF Black Magic files, Prores just fine on my old beast.

My xeon's dont support quicksync.

I use h.264/h.265,braw and r3d

I noticed an interesting thing.
All values ​​in the test are similar.

--------
Asus z9pe-d8 ws, 2x2867w v2, 32gb ram, Radeon Vii, Win10, ssd, raid5
Attachments
BlackmagicRAWSpeedTest.png
BlackmagicRAWSpeedTest.png (202.48 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
Resolve 16.1.2
Win10
Asus z9pe-d8-ws
2x2687w v2
32gb ram
Radeon VII

Feri Ternak

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 am

My problem solved :) ...i replaced the radeon vii to an nvidia 2080ti ....lot of laggy thing solved (slow gui reaction, playing problems...etc). I think it was a driver problem but I'm tired of experimenting.

Thanks,
Feri
Resolve 16.1.2
Win10
Asus z9pe-d8-ws
2x2687w v2
32gb ram
Radeon VII

Lucius Snow

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm

It's a Resolve bug because it's slow at startup using Windows, Mac and Linux.

BMD, please fix this.

José Santos

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Feri Ternak wrote:My problem solved :) ...i replaced the radeon vii to an nvidia 2080ti ....lot of laggy thing solved (slow gui reaction, playing problems...etc). I think it was a driver problem but I'm tired of experimenting.

Thanks,
Feri

How does the performance compar? Much better? I'm almost at the point of doing the same... No point in having 16gb of VRAM and a GPU that is technically fastest (for compute) in the market if it's not optimized for Resolve...

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:same for me... I use a RADEON VII and it works fast and clean! (see my signature below)

unfortunately still have to revise my above statement: BRAW playback does show artefacts with DR16.1.2 and now also with DR16.2 :(
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

José Santos

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 3:37 pm

I've sent an email to BMD showcasing the performance issues and refering back to this thread and a similar one on LGG. I'm waiting on an answer but if nothing comes out of it I'm going to sell the card, get dual 2080ti's and be done with it...

pnguyen720

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:25 am

I'm interested in this card but it looks like there's still issues with BRAW?

joncoy

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Sorry to hear that others are still suffering lag issues in Resolve with the Radeon VII. I also am still having some occasional issues where I feel like I'm just not getting the performance that I should be getting with the card.

Since updating to the latest version of 16, my media loading has slowed again. I even tested this by loading a project with BRAW media running off of an NVME SSD (970 EVO Plus), and it still takes a while for thumbnails and media to show up and playback. It's pretty disappointing. Once the media loads, Resolve works smoothly and, aside from any heavy NR, I get 100% playback speeds, but I've also noticed some chugging if I switch my timeline resolution to UHD (I normally stay in 1080p timeline res). I figured a TR 2920x and two Radeon VIIs would be able to handle playing back a BRAW UHD timeline in realtime...I'm also using DDR4 that's rated for 2666mhz set to that speed with HBCC enabled on both cards.

joncoy

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 pm

New Update (04/13/2020):

To get it out of the way, I'm currently running the latest AMD Radeon Pro Enterprise drivers and Resolve 16.2 (Windows 10 Pro 64bit).

Out of curiosity, I took some footage I recently shot on the Pocket 6K (BRAW 5.7K) and created a new project in Resolve and a new project in Premiere CC 2019. I imported all media into my dedicated bins, cut together a sequence, and added some minor grades. Again, all footage running on PCIE NVME SSD getting about 3000MB read and write speeds via AJA Speed Test.

Here's where the interesting things happened: When I reopened the Resolve project, it still took about 1 min for me to be able to access my media and actually play it back (1 min after opening the project). As well, there was a slight delay from my DeckLink mini monitor 4K to my reference monitor. Okay, still lagging.

When I start Premiere and open my new Premiere project with the same footage, same sequence and some minor grades, I get nearly instant access to my media and timeline, and I have very quick playback out to my monitor through the Decklink card via Premiere.

I understand that Resolve is a very large program and each primary tab has a lot of components to load, but this issue between Resolve and AMD is getting a bit ridiculous. To reiterate again, I did not have this problem when running an RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 with Resolve on the same PC.

I must also reiterate that once my media loads, I get excellent real-time playback in Resolve with very complex grades, so there's no real trouble once everything loads.

joncoy

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:I'm interested in this card but it looks like there's still issues with BRAW?

I haven't encountered any issues with BRAW so far with the Radeon VII. Though, there does seem to be a glitch while using optimized quality setting in Preferences. I just turn that off and all is fine, so...I guess one small issue?

pnguyen720

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 am

Thanks for the added info, guys.

I think I'll just keep looking for a better graphics card.

joncoy

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:Thanks for the added info, guys.

I think I'll just keep looking for a better graphics card.

It's definitely a bummer, especially given how got Puget Systems' review of the Radeon VII in DaVinci Resolve proved to be. I love my Radeon VII cards and CPU while using Blender (I do a lot of 3D modeling and concept art), and things are optimized really well there. Too bad about my primary usage for the workstation--Resolve.

joncoy

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 3:30 pm

New Update 04/18/2020:

I uninstalled my two Radeon VII cards and reinstalled an older GTX 1060 I had available. I uninstalled the Radeon Pro drivers w DDU and installed the Nvidia card, installed the drivers, and ran some Resolve tests.

Using the same project from last time, which is booting media from an NVME SSD (pcie), I found two interesting things:
1) While using OpenCL with the Radeons, it still takes almost a minute (55 seconds) for me to get about five clips loaded up in Resolve to where I can actually play them back, but this 5.7K BRAW footage can play back in real time (23.976) with a hefty grade and TNR once all media has loaded. However, when I ran only one Radeon VII, that media loading time was reduced to about 20 seconds.

2) When I ran the same project and grade with the GTX 1060 and Nvidia Studio drivers (and CUDA), my media loads instantaneously, but my playback, as expected, runs about 6-8 fps.

So, even though I'm still getting excellent performance from the Radeons and OpenCL once all of my media loads, it is still strange and annoying that running a CUDA-enabled card vs OpenCL cards yields such wildly different results when loading a project.

Anyone have any answers here, or is this still being chocked up as an "optimization" problem on someone's end?

Ahriman

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the information!

I will also buy a Radeon VII now to replace my 1070 and see how it works and keep you updated.

It seems the 19.11.3 driver is still the most stable, isn't it? I will also use DDU to clean up the old nvidia driver.

joncoy

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Ahriman wrote:Thanks for all the information!

I will also buy a Radeon VII now to replace my 1070 and see how it works and keep you updated.

It seems the 19.11.3 driver is still the most stable, isn't it? I will also use DDU to clean up the old nvidia driver.

No problem! I actually rolled my drivers back to 19.10.2 based on Moore’s Law Is Dead’s recommendation as the most stable driver for Radeon VII on Windows 10. So far he is correct. My renders in Blender no longer crash and Resolve performance is solid—though I still have the issue where one Radeon VII causes a twenty-second lag time to load media into playback and two Radeon VIIs takes about 53 seconds. Very strange. Is this a Radeon issue, OpenCL issue, Windows issue, or Resolve? I have no idea. It’s annoying, but Resolve is rock solid once all media loads up. :roll:

duofuan

PostMon May 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue - loading lag.
Before I've had nvidia gtx960m, then I've added eGpu radeon rx 580 - and instead of boost I've got a disappointment.

I've seen a mac os running Davinci with basically same hardware as mine and rx 580 - it's fluid and fast. No lags nor problems whatsoever.

Maybe the problem comes from putting a radeon card into a system where there was a nvidia card beforehand?

MishaEngel

PostMon May 18, 2020 11:08 pm

duofuan wrote:Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue - loading lag.
Before I've had nvidia gtx960m, then I've added eGpu radeon rx 580 - and instead of boost I've got a disappointment.

I've seen a mac os running Davinci with basically same hardware as mine and rx 580 - it's fluid and fast. No lags nor problems whatsoever.

Maybe the problem comes from putting a radeon card into a system where there was a nvidia card beforehand?

Check this https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

pnguyen720

PostTue May 19, 2020 4:04 am

So with all the Radeon problems that I'm reading here, can someone recommend an Nvidia card that will work best but has more than 8GB VRAM?

duofuan

PostTue May 19, 2020 4:41 am

joncoy wrote:
Is this a Radeon issue, OpenCL issue, Windows issue, or Resolve? I have no idea. It’s annoying, but Resolve is rock solid once all media loads up. :roll:

Why we guys like so much Resolve?
- because it "Resolves" issues,
- because they are releasing significant updates often, and that
- they listen to people. I guess they will specially care for people with high-end GPUs like yours people.

joncoy ( if I understood correctly you didn't report the bug ) - please report an official bug.
People from this thread will "upvote it" , and hopefully guys from BM will look into this.
Let's hope in the next update things are sorted out! ;)

duofuan

PostTue May 19, 2020 4:51 am

pnguyen720 wrote:So with all the Radeon problems that I'm reading here, can someone recommend an Nvidia card that will work best but has more than 8GB VRAM?

If you have a budget I would recommend you a mac and radeon vii - smooth as butter ;) .

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue May 19, 2020 7:33 am

joncoy wrote: I uninstalled my two Radeon VII cards ...

Anyone have any answers here ...

Hi.

I wonder if any know, how it will be on CentOS Linux?

If it run OK on Linux, is it a Windows problem.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Michael Kropfberger

PostTue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm

tried with 16.2.2 on windows ... well yes, it wasnt mentioned to be fixed, and unfortunately it still isnt fixed :(
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

joncoy

PostTue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm

duofuan wrote:
joncoy wrote:
Is this a Radeon issue, OpenCL issue, Windows issue, or Resolve? I have no idea. It’s annoying, but Resolve is rock solid once all media loads up. :roll:

Why we guys like so much Resolve?
- because it "Resolves" issues,
- because they are releasing significant updates often, and that
- they listen to people. I guess they will specially care for people with high-end GPUs like yours people.

joncoy ( if I understood correctly you didn't report the bug ) - please report an official bug.
People from this thread will "upvote it" , and hopefully guys from BM will look into this.
Let's hope in the next update things are sorted out! ;)

I have reported the bug to BMD's technical support. I have also sent them logs and system info.

I'm currently running 16.2.2 and I still have the media loading issue. I have also used DDU for changing my GPU drivers (every time). I have also cleaned, optimized, and checked all system components for errors.

It seems the biggest problem I face is simply running these cards with Resolve on a Windows 10 Pro OS.

Lucius Snow

PostTue May 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Hi.

Regards Carsten.

I have two Radeon VII on CentOS, and there's this bug too. It has nothing to do with drivers or O.S. It's Resolve.

joncoy

PostWed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Hi.

Regards Carsten.

I have two Radeon VII on CentOS, and there's this bug too. It has nothing to do with drivers or O.S. It's Resolve.

Good to know, Lucius. Technical support contacted me again yesterday to get more information on the problem. It seems like they're actually trying to find a solution. And it also seems like this really is an issue within Resolve, although I don't understand how some others w Radeon VIIs don't have this issue. We'll see what happens, I guess.

pnguyen720

PostWed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm

I'll keep checking back on this post as it'd be awesome if Resolve figures this out.

Lucius Snow

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Even people on MacOs reported it. It has been known for a very long time.

joncoy

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:Even people on MacOs reported it. It has been known for a very long time.

This is true. Lots of reports over on LiftGammaGain.

I'm just going to keep BMD's technical support team up to date and try to find a solution (if there ever will be one).

Maybe the end of this year will bring good GPU and driver news from AMD and Nvidia alike...and from Resolve.

duofuan

PostTue May 26, 2020 6:54 pm

A few days ago a friend of mine launched a portable hackintosh on my pc ( he plugged an ssd with hackintosh installed and from a pendrive he launched a bootloader ) . We've installed Resolve and strangely there is no such issue here while on windows the problem persists.

joncoy

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:38 pm

duofuan wrote:A few days ago a friend of mine launched a portable hackintosh on my pc ( he plugged an ssd with hackintosh installed and from a pendrive he launched a bootloader ) . We've installed Resolve and strangely there is no such issue here while on windows the problem persists.

Interesting, but not surprising results. It seems that more often than not, the cards work smoothly on macOS.

Sulo Kokki

PostTue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm

So, on Win & Linux, Radeons have OpenCL. And you get loading times.

Up to High Sierra, Macs had OpenCL, and the same issue.

Now, Mac uses Metal and the loading bug is gone.

The problem seems to be between Resolve and OpenCL, then.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

joncoy

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:So, on Win & Linux, Radeons have OpenCL. And you get loading times.

Up to High Sierra, Macs had OpenCL, and the same issue.

Now, Mac uses Metal and the loading bug is gone.

The problem seems to be between Resolve and OpenCL, then.

This is what I have figured as well. I spoke with a BMD technical support representative about it, and they also mentioned that it seems to be an issue between Resolve and OpenCL.

Sulo Kokki

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:39 pm

If you turn the clip thumbnails off, the project load-up should be quicker, yes?
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

joncoy

PostTue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:If you turn the clip thumbnails off, the project load-up should be quicker, yes?

Not on my system. Same results.

kryszthof

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:01 am

I'm experiencing the same slowdown with my two Radeon VII's. I've also reported it to Blackmagic Support.

Lucius Snow

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 pm

kryszthof wrote:I'm experiencing the same slowdown with my two Radeon VII's. I've also reported it to Blackmagic Support.

It has been done several times for months. They don't care.

MishaEngel

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:
kryszthof wrote:I'm experiencing the same slowdown with my two Radeon VII's. I've also reported it to Blackmagic Support.

BMD doesn't have unlimited resources (they also can't fix the out of memory error with NVidia/CUDA).
And we don't know if it's an AMD, OpenCL or a Davinci thing.
I'm glad when you use one radeon vii it gives you the best price/perfomance by a long shot.

Trensharo

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 4:11 am

MishaEngel wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:

BMD doesn't have unlimited resources (they also can't fix the out of memory error with NVidia/CUDA).
I'm glad when you use one radeon vii it gives you the best price/perfomance by a long shot.

If the card is working in Premiere Pro, then it's not a GPU/Driver (AMD) or OpenCL thing. It's a DaVinci thing.

I have issues with compressed media crashing when decoding media when Hardware Decoding is enabled, as well. The playback also is worse than on my Laptop with a GTX1050 GPU.

Not sure what the problem is, but I re-subscribed to Premiere Pro so that I can work productively. I don't have time to generate oodles of Optimized Media, especially when you can't even do this in the background. I'm almost regretting not getting a Mac and going to FCPX, TBH.

Lucius Snow

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 12:05 pm

MishaEngel wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:

Of course it's a Davinci thing. it has been reported on Windows/Mac/Linux and OpenCL/Metal.

duofuan

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Did anybody checked if version 16.2.3.15 has corrected the issue?

Michael Kropfberger

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm

I tried, and it still is broken...
see also viewtopic.php?f=21&t=104442

greets
Mike

kryszthof

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 6:33 pm

duofuan wrote:Did anybody checked if version 16.2.3.15 has corrected the issue?

For me the problem persists:
  • Longer loading times (compared to the 2x GTX 1080 I used before)
  • Performance with either one of the two cards - OK after loading
  • Performance with two cards - even longer loading times, equal frame rates in the noise reduction portion of the standard candle test and a quarter of the frame rates in the blur portion of the standard candle test compared to a single card.

Another thing I've noticed: before when I was overloading the 2x GTX 1080 cards (giving them more than they could handle) the frame rates would of course drop, but the cards would still run at max frequency while trying to keep up. If I look at the behavior of the VII cards it's completely different: Frequencies jumping all over the place (more so with both cards enabled) even while technically overloading the cards in Resolve. For comparison, in Blender while rendering, the cards stay at 100% all the time during render and no frequency drops.

MishaEngel

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:

Of course it's a Davinci thing. it has been reported on Windows/Mac/Linux and OpenCL/Metal.

So when it's also on Metal it can still be an AMD or a Davinci thing.

joncoy

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 9:32 pm

duofuan wrote:Did anybody checked if version 16.2.3.15 has corrected the issue?

I’m currently running 16.2.3, Windows 10 Pro, 2x Radeon VII (I’m OP), and all is working beautifully except that it still takes my system about 25 seconds to access and start playing media when I open a project in a new session. Running latest AMD Enterprise drivers.

I’m satisfied with my system’s performance at this point.

Michael Kropfberger

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 am

are you sure that you have enabled all GPU support for decoding RAW? that's what causes massive grain/flicker/decoding errors on my Radeon VII

ahh.. and make sure, you are not viewing cached clips, it has to be RAW as raw gets :)

José Santos

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:same for me... I use a RADEON VII and it works fast and clean! (see my signature below)

What driver version are you using?

Michael Kropfberger

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Jose,
I use AMD radeon VII drivers 20.3.1 from the 17.03.2020

greets
Mike
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve