Fix Arabic and the RTL fonts' issue plz

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aboubakr

Fix Arabic and the RTL fonts' issue plz

PostThu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm

When I've read that there's a fixed font issue, I hurried to try out the Beta 3 release hoping Fusion will support Arabic by now, but heck No!

Come on, I'm tired of using Gimp and InkScape to export PNGs, then have a ton of work to do on Fusion under Resolve. I hate to admit almost a 5 years old Nuke software still does the work that 2019 Fusion can't do!

Lightworks handles Arabic and RTL languages just fine, even Kdenlive and Cinelerra do just great, and I started to grow a passionate frustration with Resolve, when I kept sounding like a broken record mentioning this issue over and over by each new release, and I don't get a single Mod or representative response.

I'd accept an answer like: "We won't support Arabic or RTL languages in our software, you can go sell your license on eBay!" but not getting any interaction is just rude, and it's not just me, running through this forum, or google it people looking for Arabic support is quite decent.

I thought BMD business model was all about listening to the customers' feedback, but I guess I was wrong.

Aboubakr

Re: Fix Arabic and the RTL fonts' issue plz

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 pm

So few months passed by. I purchased a new license today, and 16.1.0B.033 still can't render Arabic in any Fusion title or Fusion related stuffs.

What is more aggravating is not getting any official answer, which leaves room to assumptions.

We really need to know what BMD are thinking about the matter, whether there'll be any future attempts to resolve (pun intended) this, or we should just give up on the matter?

Why is it so hard to add Arabic when other unicode languages do work just fine? Is it because Arabic is recursive? Is it because it's written from right to left? Is it because the charset code isn't defined in the code-base? Can't BMD, let's say, check how Blender handles the problem and resolves it perfectly, since it's an open source project? Anything guys, come on moderators/admins, can't you get us any half answers when you answer way less trivial matters on other threads?

mustafamohsen

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am

I add my voice to Aboubakr

Come on guys, at least give us the courtesy of responding! It's version 16 already (which've passed through hundreds of minor updates) and no RTL support and we're only a few days from 2020?? I've purchased the studio version yet I'm disappointed due to my inability to generate titles in my own language (Arabic)!

No RTL support means that Arabic, Persian, and Hebrew users will not be able to use Fusion as they should, putting titles and using macros least to say

Your response is appreciated

Aboubakr

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Hey Mohsen,

Something is being cooked to solve this, and it's done through an OFX independent plugin, and I will keep that thread updated, I mean here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=104355

piece23

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi guys!
I'm new to the resolve tribe. I tried the free version and fall madly in love with it. thought I didn't have the RTL languages because of it so I thought about buying it.
thank God I logged in the forum and read about the struggle of my RTL fellas. :lol:
Hope you solve it soon.

kotrob

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:10 am

Adding my voice to this. Why Blackmagic doesn’t work a solution or guide the crowd to figure this out?

navid_gh

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 pm

Same here, we are in 2020 and still; we have high-end programs that do not support RTL, the very basic feature. So they just easily ignore hundreds of millions of people who have money power not just buy the product buying their companies :D

Common guys, show some respect and bring this basic feature to your newer versions, I am a programmer myself; I know it is easy if you didn't write your code messy.

ymoran00

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 9:39 am

Anyway found a workaround to this issue.
1. Place the Fusion title in track and choose it.
2. Go to Fusion tab.
3. Add a Transform node between the MediaOut and the Fusion group. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
4. Choose the group and click CMD+E to expand it.
5. In the group choose first text and add Transform node after it. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
6. In the group choose secondary text and add Transform node after it. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
This should create the same effect - but now on the other side with inverted text. You can reuse this effect.

Two issues that you'll need to be aware of with this:
1. Now, unfortunately, the text needs to be entered from the end to the beginning.
2. After entering the text, you may need to adjust the horizontal position of the text. It's easy - go to the Fusion tab, expand the group, choose the new Transform nodes you created and for each adjust the Center X property until it looks find.

Please tell me if this worked for you.

Aboubakr

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 pm

ymoran00 wrote:Anyway found a workaround to this issue.
1. Place the Fusion title in track and choose it.
2. Go to Fusion tab.
3. Add a Transform node between the MediaOut and the Fusion group. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
4. Choose the group and click CMD+E to expand it.
5. In the group choose first text and add Transform node after it. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
6. In the group choose secondary text and add Transform node after it. Choose Flip Horiz in the transform.
This should create the same effect - but now on the other side with inverted text. You can reuse this effect.

Two issues that you'll need to be aware of with this:
1. Now, unfortunately, the text needs to be entered from the end to the beginning.
2. After entering the text, you may need to adjust the horizontal position of the text. It's easy - go to the Fusion tab, expand the group, choose the new Transform nodes you created and for each adjust the Center X property until it looks find.

Please tell me if this worked for you.

This won't work for recursive-only languages like Arabic/Farsi/Urdu...

Robin Doelly

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 12:24 am

I have run into this issue too. I found that if you are using the 'Text' tool as an overlay track - then it is ok, but if you use the Text+ tool in Fusion then the text is flipped . So I then change the tracking to '0' or at least less than 1 .. this flips the order of text around, however the kearning of course does not work as it is setup the wrong way around .. so you need to manually alter the kearning .

burhan

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Has anyone found a way to solve this problem?

Aboubakr

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:54 am

I tried out the latest release, and I can confirm Arabic is finally 100% and natively running without a 3rd party OFX plugin and without the usual off-resolve text converter!

I only have one question, I kept emailing you about this for almost 3 years, and sent you suggestions and a source code to do it online, and I would like to know if that was of any help, or was it only your team resolving it other ways?

The reason I'm asking is to know if I should do the same about another couple of things, since there are already open source C++/Qt solutions out there, and I can forward them to you.

Either way, you've just made my year! Hooray! Thanks

bsweileh

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 12:51 am

Arabic text support is almost 100% as there is still the issue related to Arabic characters not appearing in subtitle track captions when the stroke is on (greater than zero). It is only when the stroke is set to zero that Arabic captions are visible.

I tested this out with DaVinci Resolve 18 Public Beta. Other forum users have mentioned this issue before, and it seems to affect right-to-left languages in general such as Hebrew and Arabic.

Is there a workaround for this issue? Can it be addressed? Thanks!

Ramin Hunter

PostSat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 am

3 years have have passed and still nothing... RTL subtitles can't have strokes.

When similar problem was reported in 2011, GIMP resolved this in their next upgrade. Adobe fixed it after couple of years. This is turning DR's developer team into a joke.

Return to DaVinci Resolve